$10 Japan Kentucky

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.

$10 Japan Kentucky

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 pm

So I brought home a $10 Kentucky that is missing the lock. The barrel isn't bad on the outside ;) The ramrod can't make it down the last 5" so something is in there other than all the rust I can see. I believe it is a Miroku from looking online at pics, yet the only markings say "Japan PR 318". Any info? I wanted to part it out but my boy wants to fix her up. Would need a replacement lock and I am assuming barrel.
Thanks- LH
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir
LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Re: $10 Japan Kentucky

Postby Aeronut » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:54 pm

My brother bought a .32 cal black powder kit rifle of questionable heritage at an auction about 30 years ago and brought it by for an opinion on how to test it to see if the barrel was solid. I had a good amount of cannon fuse so we loaded it up with progressive amounts of powder with a patched .30 caliber bullet. We tied the barrel down to an old tire (no rim) with a bungee cord and hid behind a berm each time after lighting the fuse. We stopped adding powder when we saw an amount of unburned powder on the ground in front of the barrel.

Our final test was a hefty charge of powder with two patched bullets. After the boom we found the barrel and tire had flipped completely over but there was no damage to the barrel. He still has and shoots that rifle to this day.

Since $10 is very cheap and you are already thinking about replacing the barrel I would try to remove the nipple and clean out the old powder/crud and trickle a load of black powder into it and use some cannon fuse to do a test shot to see if the obstruction could be launched clear. Do this in an area away from everything just in case you have a barrel explosion. You might wind up with a serviceable barrel.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: $10 Japan Kentucky

Postby Captchee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 am

sorry I missed this post ???
take a 1/4 or 3/8 wood dowel and see if it will slide down the barrel . if it wont then there is an obstruction . probably a short started load or dry balled load . if the dowel will not fit then chances are very good that the barrel may be toast in the area where the load was left as the rifling will most likely be corroded .. IMO if your replacing the lock and barrel , might as well pick up a cheaper traditions kit or rifle unless you can find a used barrel and lock
Captchee
Global Moderator

Return to Traditional Muzzleloaders