CVA Bobcat Refinish

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

CVA Bobcat Refinish

Postby luv2bowhunt » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Hey all, new guy here. Thought I would post some pics of a CVA Bobcat that I just finished up. I got the idea of the etched barrel from here, so I owe you guys a big thanks for sharing your knowledge! This is the first gun refinish that I have ever done. I have refinished a few recurves and longbows over the past several years, but adding the metal work was new to me.

I picked up the gun at a consignment store. The barrel needed some serious cleaning, but it look pretty good. The last few inches have some pitting, but it still shoots good. I took her out to shoot for the first time this afternoon. I was keeping 3" groups at 50 yards with 80 Grains of Goex FFg behind a patched round ball. I think I can get better with some practice, it has been a LONG time since I have shot with open sights :shock:

And please don't bash me for the fiber optic sights... that's all I could find locally and I wanted to shoot her today! I need to order up some nice looking ones here soon. I also learned that I need to work on my inletting skills!

Anyways, here are some pictures, let me know what you think and what I can work on to make the next one better:

Sidelock-1.jpg

Sidelock-2.jpg

Sidelock-3.jpg

Sidelock-4.jpg

Sidelock-5.jpg

And here is a good before and after pic:

BeforeAfter.jpg
luv2bowhunt
Spike Bull

Re: CVA Bobcat Refinish

Postby jcporter@work » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:58 am

I would say you did pretty good on the inletting from the photos. I have one like that and plan on restocking it for my granddaughter as soon as I finish a few other projects.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Postby Captchee » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 am

Welcome .
. looks like you did a good job from the photos .
next time i would recommend studying the architecture of originals rifles .
Take not of things like how the lock and side plate mortises are shaped . How the Barrel to wrist and wrist to butt stock transform. Then try and incoprate that into your shaping .

But for your first go , I would say you did fine .
Inletting will come with time
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby luv2bowhunt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks guys. I will have to start doing some researching on the older guns and work up from there.

I can see a new hobby forming here :)
luv2bowhunt
Spike Bull

Postby LadyHawk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 am

Way to go :applaud: Love that broadhead collection!!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir
LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Postby luv2bowhunt » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks Ladyhawk! That broadhead collection is a work in progress, need to get a lot more :D I don't think my bobcat turned out as nice as yours, your looks awesome!! Thanks for the inspiration to tackle this project.
luv2bowhunt
Spike Bull

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench