Swing and a miss...but not all bad!

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

Swing and a miss...but not all bad!

Postby Matt Raymond » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:14 am

I was able to get out for a few hours this morning at one of my favorite spots here in CT. I only have permission to hunt the spot during the late Muzzleloader season and it's just a small 27 acre wood lot but is surrounded by conservation land. It was cold and crisp this morning and there was no sneaking out onto the ridge. I was able to make it to my spot right around shooting light and the woods were really loaded with Grey Squirrel's making a ton of noise. I set up on a sawed stump on a hillside overlooking a game trail. This was my 1st time out in the woods with my Pedersoli Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle in .45 caliber. I spent months working on load combinations as well as different flint setups. The gun is plenty accurate but I've been concentrating on reliable ignition. I decided early this morning to go with 75 grains of 3f Goex, .015 Pillow Ticking Patch, .445 Hornaday Roundball, 3f in the pan, followed by a new German Agate Flint (the frizzen just seems to like them, go figure). The combination is great out to about 70 yards. Beyond 70 yards, the round ball really starts dropping.

Well around 7:15 about 6-7 Doe came walking down the trail and I figured they'd cross me broadside around 60 yards. I settled in on the first in line and eased the hammer back, then set the trigger. I aimed a little high because she seemed to be just beyond 70 yards looking downhill. She stepped into the open and I fired. Gun went off great, pretty fast ignition, I was happy. That being said it was a clean miss. I must have miss judged the distance a bit or more than likely flinched at the moment of truth. I'm pretty sure the ball sailed right over top of her. They all bounded off with out a hitch and there was no sign of blood or hair. I bumped them a few more times on my way out, but no shot.

Even though I missed I was very pleased about the reliability of my flint/pan combo. I think I flinched at the last moment because I was unsure if the gun would go off. Now that I'm comfortable with the gun in the woods, I think I'll be less likely to make the same mistake. I'll try again in the morning...
Matt Raymond
Spike Bull

Re: Swing and a miss...but not all bad!

Postby Winter Hawk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Matt Raymond wrote:I'll try again in the morning...

So did you, and what were the results?

~WH~
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Matt Raymond » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:02 am

Went out again the next day to the same spot. The same group of doe came by again but beyond my comfortable reach. Stayed with it hunting other sections of the property without seeing another deer. The spot is a small woodlot that deer go to when pressured by hunters in the area. I think they felt my pressure after the 1st few days and just found another safe place to be during daylight. Plenty of deer on the trail cam at night, including a large 8 pointer.
Matt Raymond
Spike Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah, the little rascals don't really want to be turned into venison!

~WH~
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest