Smokepole squirrels

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

Smokepole squirrels

Postby dhaverstick » Tue May 31, 2016 6:50 am

Squirrel season opened this past weekend in Missouri and I started the morning off yesterday by killing a couple with my 12 gauge smoothbore. I love watching that blue cloud of smoke drift in the air right after a shot as you momentarily wonder, "Did I get him?" For squirrels I use 60 grains of FFF, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" lubed wad, 3/4 oz. #6 shot in a paper cup and 1 overshot card. Can't wait for next weekend!

Darren
dhaverstick
Spike Bull

Re: Smokepole squirrels

Postby Pete Joy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:40 am

Cool ! I like the idea of the paper shotcup,how do you do that ?
Pete Joy
4X4 Bull

Postby dhaverstick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:34 am

Pete, I have a dowel rod that I've sanded down to the diameter of my bore. I cut an index card into strips, wrap a strip around the dowel and then tape it with cellophane tape. I used a over shot card as the bottom of my cup and tape that in place as well. Then I cut a few vertical slits in the cup so the thing opens up when I shoot it. Otherwise, you might get the "slug effect" where your shot doesn't separate. You will have to experiment with how wide and long you cut your index card strips based on how much shot you use and what diameter your barrel bore is.

I hope this helps!

Darren
dhaverstick
Spike Bull

Postby Wind D Ranch » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:13 pm

:applaud:
NRA Life Member

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men) The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.
Wind D Ranch
Spike Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest