First Muzzleloader Deer

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

First Muzzleloader Deer

Postby Matt Raymond » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:29 am

Hello all,

This was the nice little 3pt buck I harvested on opening day last season. It would have been a 6pt but somewhere along the way, 1/2 of his rack was broken clean off. He walked in while eating acorns to about 30 yards. He gave me a nice broadside shot. I pulled the hammer back to full cock on my Lyman GPR .54, set the trigger, squeezed.....click....hammer fell on the cap but nothing. My nipple was slightly mushroomed from repeated practice so I thought I was all done. Cocked the hammer again and pulled the trigger....boom! .535 hornady ball pushed by 70 grains of 3f goex found its mark. He took about 4 steps and fell over. Perfect shot though the top ventricles of his heart and separated those from his lungs. I have since been more aware of the condition of my nipples and have switched to better fitting caps. I got lucky that he didn't bolt after the first hammer fall.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Matt Raymond
Spike Bull

Re: First Muzzleloader Deer

Postby greenmountain » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Nice deer. The story alone is a trophy. I can feel the emotions that you probably felt. I have been there with good and bad results.
Native Vermonter and proud to be a sportsman
greenmountain
4X4 Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:59 pm

Nice deer!

To prevent the mushrooming of the nipple, get a faucet washer which will just fit over it when dry-firing. It will keep the hammer from hitting the nipple.

~WH~
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Matt Raymond » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:53 am

I didn't dry fire the gun. It was from repeated (100-130) hammer falls on the capped nipple. Nothing a little file and emory cloth couldn't fix...plus I bought an extra 3pk of Lyman nipples, they're cheap and well kinda cheap, but get the job done. One of those, "I knew I should have adjusted/replaced that before I went hunting" moments.
Matt Raymond
Spike Bull

Postby wtt03 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:33 am

Congratulations on a nice buck! Great story and glad it ended well for you!
wtt03
Spike Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest