OJAM Members Hunt Deer

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

OJAM Members Hunt Deer

Postby Bloodhound25 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Well last weekend I was fortunate enough to kill my first deer with a selfbow. I was hunting the edge of a big thicket on the bend of a creek on saturday night. We (my brother and I) were going to hunt an acorn flat but someone beat us there so we went another 1/2 mile down the road to an area we had never been. We parked the truck and walked into the timber and he went left up the creek and I went right down the creek. He crossed the creek and set up in a down tree while I packed a darn treestand through the woods. (Hes the smart one I wont deny it) I got tired of carrying the stand after about 200 yards and I just decided to hang it in the first good tree I found. It took me about 20 minutes to get all set up and settled in my tree and I thought there is no way I'm going to get a deer in range tonight cause I'm soaked in sweat. I had been sitting there watching squirrels scurry about and then I heard a noise to my right. I looked up and to my surprise a deer was standing there at 15 yards. He made his way behind me and walked to my left side. I got ready for the shot and stopped him in a hole between elm limbs. As i started to draw I somehow couldn't get my bow positioned on the deer. A limb from the tree in front of me was the culprit and I quickly moved my bow to the other side and made the shot. The deer trotted off up the creek towards my brother and thats when I realized it was a small buck. I climbed down and began looking for blood 30 minutes later and to my dismay I was unable to find any nor a bloodtrail. I decided to begin slipping in the direction he ran and see if I could find blood or him. I found him 60 yards from my stand with his white belly shining. It was a great end to a 4 days of being with fellow OSS members.
Attachments
12162544_947623131966343_1157238608_o (1).jpg
12165398_947053198690003_207690898_o.jpg
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" -Fred Bear
"Aim small, miss small" -Dad
"Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while"
Bloodhound25
Spike Bull

Re: OJAM Members Hunt Deer

Postby Full Quiver » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:01 pm

:applaud: Congratulations again !!!
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Wa :applaud: y to go Buddy. You'll never forget the first one and you'll grow much more confident in the ways of a simple wooden bow. They have been making meat for thousands of years. You're off to a great start. Congrats
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Topher » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:02 pm

Congrats, Zack. I knew you would get a selfbow kill before I did and I am proud that you did. You are a good hunter and woodsman and it is always a blast hunting with you and Levi.
See ya, Uncle Chris(topher)
Topher
Raghorn Bull

Postby Falcon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Congrats on the buck with a selfbow.
Falcon
Spike Bull

Postby Bloodhound25 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks Uncle Topher, I learned from the best (you and dad). I wouldn't be making bows and arrows if it wasn't for you bring me to OJAM. Thanks guys! I am hooked on selfbow hunting now.
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" -Fred Bear
"Aim small, miss small" -Dad
"Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while"
Bloodhound25
Spike Bull

Postby FullDraw » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Congratulations again, Zack! I could feel your excitement after your hunt. You're a real ambassador for the OSS and we're all very proud of you.

(Uncle) Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest