broke my dry run and finally got one with my longbow.

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

broke my dry run and finally got one with my longbow.

Postby eddie c » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:11 am

I broke my dry run friday. but it wasn't pretty. the last deer I've taken with a bow was in 2008. I either had missed or waited too long for a perfect shot instead of taking the first shot op when it was given to me. After missing a doe last year because I waited for a better angle, I told myself, never again. I will take the first shot given.
Well, friday morning I got in my stand that I set last Sunday in an area where I had been jumping 3 deer. About 10am I needed to stretch, I looked around and didn't see anything. I stood, stretched and looked. there was a spotted fawn in front of me, going away at about 15 yards. "where did you come from?" :eek: Since I had seen 3 deer on 2 separate days I got ready. 5 minutes later, this doe pops out of nowhere. I figured later I put myself in too much foliage for long distance viewing. anyway she stepped into a shooting lane I had cleared and I was sure she was completely broadside. arrow was gone. I could see the arrow out both sides but a little far back. I was sure I had liver, maybe some lung but it wasn't a perfect shot placement. :( she ran in a semi circle and stopped about 50 yards out, just stood there. I thought I was going to see her fall. instead she trotted towards me and I lost sight of her in a cut tree top. I figured that is where she laid down. I waited an hour, eased down out of the stand as quietly as I could, nocked an arrow and eased around the tree top. she wasn't there. again, the foliage hid her escape just as it hid her entrance. I started tracking around 11:30, finding spots like this.
doe1024145.jpg

I ran out of blood to track about 3pm. I started searching the saw briars and river cane thickets along with the cut tree tops in the area. I was in about the 5th or 6th thicket when I noticed the brown and white spot. I thought 'there she is' and she exploded out of there like a rabbit. this spot was on the edge of the Hatchie River bank. I didn't hear any water splashing so I felt she circled around the back side so I got to looking for blood again. just some at the first of the run then nothing. so I stood there for a few minutes. I took out my GPS just to find out how far she went from the shot. 0.26 miles to the stand as the crow flies. it was 3:30pm. I thought maybe I need to keep her running to pump blood out and I looked across the river and saw this.
doe102414.jpg

I never heard her hit the water. I called a good friend and had him to pick up my boat at my house and meet me at the ramp. Sun had set by the time we got her in the boat. I didn't take any hero pics because of the mud and blood all over her.
as I waited at the boat ramp, I replayed the whole day in my head. I don't remember 'picking the spot' before the shot. :oops:

It had been awhile since I was on a blood trail, learned a few things, re-learned a few and used a new trick I had seen on TV. a good bright flashlight works good in the shadows of the trees even in broad day light. little specks of blood will show up. I used a 200 lumen LED AA light. went through 2 sets of batteries. also leaves were falling. getting on my knees and shining the light at an angle helped finding blood under leaves.
the arrow went in the last 2 ribs up high and angled down thru the stomach.

also the bow I used is the one Mark made me in one of his build-a-longs. :archer:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: broke my dry run and finally got one with my longbow.

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Congrats on ending your dry spell and on sticking to the tracking job until you recovered her. Many people quit way too soon.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby eddie c » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks Zeek. Several times I had to speculate where she may have went and look for blood 15-20 yards ahead. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. It may sound weird but I actually enjoyed the track job, just don't want to do it again.
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm glad you and "Baby" were successful, sometimes it just takes perseverance to find them.

Congrats my friend !!
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Shovelbuck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:20 am

Congrats!!!!! Good job keeping after her!
Shovelbuck
5X5 Bull

Postby eddie c » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 am

thanks guys.
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Just like riding a bike. Congrats Eddie. :applaud: Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby FullDraw » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:12 am

Congratulations, Eddie! Great memories and backstrap at the end of the trail. :applaud: Right on with Rule #1 and #2!!

Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:39 am

Good story eddie with good results. Way to hang with it and passing on some good tips for others to follow. :applaud:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest