Another Doe Headed for Freezer

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

Another Doe Headed for Freezer

Postby KsBow » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Well the weather is going to get harsh later today and tomorrow. Doesn't sound like the kind that this old guy wants to be out in. So yesterday evening I headed for the woods. At 5:10 I put an arrow through a big doe. She ran south of me through the tall grass and plum thickets. After a bit, I got out and picked up the trail. I was expecting a trail that even a novice could follow. Found the arrow within 30 feet of where it hit her. Blood was plentiful and about 6 inches , including the feathers was missing. Anyway, after my fall last week, I called some help out. We found very little blood, but managed to trail her for about a hundred yards of where she was hit.
I didn't think she'd go that far. Finally I called off the search after about an hour and a half of trailing and at least 45 minutes of looking after the last drop of blood. I told my help, she's dead and I know it. It'll be cold tonight so if the dogs don't find her, she'll be alright. So we agreed to meet out there at 8:00 this morning. We started our search through sumac thickets and plum thickets, and groves of cedars.
One of my helpers, Mikee McEachern was on the north side next to the woods. I was draggin through the thickets and I heard Mikee whistle. The He called out, Over here, I've got her.
He had been fighting his way through the tornado downed timber about 20 yards into the woods. He climbed up on a tree to keep heading west and there she was. So I moved over to him and finally located him in the brush. She was alright except for he nose, which had been eaten away and her back side which had be enlarged from it's former dimunitive self.
So I field dressed her and we drug her out of the timber. Shortly after getting her to more open ground , Clay showed up and we hooked the drag to her, strapped Clay into the harness and away he went to the truck.
We got into town and Mikee, came over to help me with the skinning and hanging. So now I have a 132 lb field dressed doe hanging in the cooler. I'll probably have to shut it up to keep her from freezing tonight and tomorrow. They say we're in for some dangerously cold temps.

Sorry, no pictures, just a long sad, but ultimately success story. Doe was shot with Shorty a 51 inch nock to nock Osage bow, Cedar arrow with a big Zwickey on board. Oh yes, I did find the rest of my arrow, in the boiler room. The shot was about 4 inches too far back, but the quartering away shot took out the lung of the opposite side. And BTW, the doe was less than forty yards from where we found the last blood. :applaud:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Re: Another Doe Headed for Freezer

Postby KsBow » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Here's the closest thing I have to a hero photo from yesterday and today's doe.
Sorry bout the background.
Attachments
Zwickey 1-3-14.JPG
Zwickey 1-3-14.JPG (195.45 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
Arrow from 1-3-14.JPG
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Olschool » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Good going! Glad you were able to find her and get most of her in the freezer
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby FullDraw » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 am

Congratulations, Ralph, more protein for the family.
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks, actually David, got her all in the freezer. Now damage to the meat from the gnawing little vermin. :applaud:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby McClura » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Fantastic! Glad you had another chance. I'm sure you are really sorry for the background you had to use... :eek: Is that the last of your tags? At least it was nice an cold overnight- Those Zwickey will do the trick.
What blind did you shoot her from?
Congratulations on the deer and wish I could have been there to drag.

Mike
Oklahoma Selbow Society Charter Member
Member at Large-Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member-Kansas Bowhunting Association
Life Member-National Muzzleloading Rifle Association
You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing!
McClura
5X5 Bull

Postby KsBow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Mikee, I shot her from the same east foodplot blind. Had a south wind so I didn't have a lot of options. Couldn't believe she went as far as she did. Entry was 3 ribs behind the bh and it came out 6 ribs behind the exit hole. I checked on the cooler this morning. Shut the window and turned off the fan. It was 28 degrees in there. Bordering between cooler and freezer. I'm hoping the brutal cold won't last forever. I could still but another tag, but I probably won't. Can't get real excited about freezing out there. Besides the water in the meat shop needs fixin. It's a pain to try to butcher and clean up without any water. :archer2:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby campcook » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Ralph how did the deer get loose from the water hole? Save that arrow for your buddy John he can shoot it and break a couple more times before it gets to his draw length. :rolf: Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest