Tree Pig

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

Tree Pig

Postby KsBow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Took my first ever tree pig this morning. Didn't have my camera with me to document the kill, so you'll just have to trust me. Did have quite a few quills flying around after a Zwickey opened up his head.
Decided that I'm gonna protect the few trees I have left. There's not supposed to be any porcupines in Kansas since we don't have any trees. :campfire:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Re: Tree Pig

Postby Greywolf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm

I was wondering what a tree pig was LOL.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby stickandlimb » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm

I've seen two down where I live but they weren't as big as a football ....I heard they dont make good pets
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......
stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Postby eddie c » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Greywolf wrote:I was wondering what a tree pig was LOL.

X2
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Is that tree pig as in Porky Pine?
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby KsBow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:13 pm

That would be affirmative. If a squirrel is a tree rat, then a big ole porcupine has to be a tree pig. Funny what a big ole inch and a half wide Zwickey will do to something hard, like a skull.
Shoot and run boys, before things start flying. :rolf:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Poggins » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 pm

I've seen two on the pike close to Oklahoma City , hard to tell how big they were after the traffic was done .
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Oklahoma Leatherman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:57 pm

The first live one I ever saw one in OK was a couple of seasons ago. I had climbed up into my stand and kept hearing something that sounded like a snort weeze. Finally I located the noise and it was coming from 2 trees over from me and above me. Freaked me out a little having all those sharp quills that close to me. Apparently I was freaking him out a little! He finally calmed down and crawled down to the base of the tree it was in, circled the trunk twice and climbed back up to the top of his tree and started feeding again.

Needless to say I was out of my stand before it got dark on me and was sure to be on my way back to my truck before it could climb back down. I wanted nothing to do with it and will never be able to walk back into that area in the darkness of the morning. Knowing there are critters out there that can throw those sharp quills is just too much for me!
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Postby KsBow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Interesting side bar....Tommy went to that stand next morning. When it got light, he could see the porkie. He said he thought he saw it moving.. but just thought it was the wind. He really got to watching and saw that it was the porkie moving his head.
Tommy will tell your that his skull was split from the eyes to the nose by a big ole Magnus and he was still hangin in there. Amazing. Tommy dispatched his with a coup de grace. :campfire:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Oklahoma Leatherman wrote:Knowing there are critters out there that can throw those sharp quills is just too much for me!

They can't throw their quills, any more than you can throw your hair. They don't move fast, but they can sure whack that tail fast!

When I was in Wyoming in the early '80s I was out locating road on the Bridger-Teton N.F. with my Siberian Husky along. I lost track of him for a bit, didn't hear him, finally found him with a mouth full of quills trying to take bites out of Mr. Porcupine. Not making a sound, just adding more quills with each bite he tried to take. I had to drag him off the critter and back to the truck, luckily found a pair of pliers and spent an hour or more cutting the ends off and pulling the quills. I got most of them, may have missed one or two but they didn't do him any harm. He didn't learn though - the next porky he saw he was ready to do a repeat performance if he wasn't on his leash!

He sure looked funny with that mouth full of quills!

I don't know how it is now, but Alaska used to protect them from hunting. They move so slow that they were considered emergency food out in the bush. Flip them over with a stick and there are no quills on their belly so you can kill them there. Careful skinning and you have dinner.

~Kees~
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Ralph that possum on the half shell I shot on the second night of the members hunt got in a hole and I couldn't pull him out and I tried to get my arrow pulled out of him finally the glue gave on that zwickey so I did get the arrow back, the next day on the way out of the woods I stuck my arm down and grabbed it by the tail I had him almost all the way out before he realized what was going on had to administer coup de grace with my knife talk about hard to cut but I got my zwickey back and a European mount. :rolf: Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest