In the woods again!

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

In the woods again!

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:07 pm

I woke today to a North wind and 58 degrees. What a change from the record breaking 100's we have been dealing with. My day was set aside to wait on a truck due to deliver some material for my business. Had to put hunting out of my head the best I could. Then...... my truck pulled in at 8 AM! I was in the woods by 9 ;)
I have to be careful with my shots due to ravines and neighbor's homes on hills, so the squirrels that answer my call from above have to be given a pass. I was able to get 4 shots off. Only one met it's mark. Wow hitting a squirrel's little head is 100% harder than hitting a deer behind the leg!
This was my first shot. Taken at 30 yards. Missed the head and hit the neck. 40 grains of 3f with a patched round ball out of my .36 Bill Large barrel.
Great to be back in the woods again!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
BPSquirrel.JPG
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir
LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Re: In the woods again!

Postby Greywolf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Glad to see your back we missed you.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby stickandlimb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Nice...makes me want to go out in the woods but its still 90 plus in Oklahoma .
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......
stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks GW. My life gets real crazy in the summer months. Nice to be back!
So I found this in the creek bed while hunting today. Seems to be sandstone. Any clues?
Attachments
rock.JPG
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir
LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:59 am

Nice fox squirrel, I try to avoid killing those because I don't like to eat them. I love grey squirrel fried or made into dumplings. As for the object in the second picture it is obviously not made by nature. I am going to hazard a guess and say it is the end, side or bottom from some hollow, poured ceramic vessel that was fired but left unglazed so it has weathered to a "stone-like" texture. I used to pour and fire ceramics about a million years ago and that "lumpy" uneven area near the point looks like where once the mould was drained and turned back upright some clay slip dripped back onto that area and hardened. Then again, it could be something else entirely. Let's see what other people think.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby Frosty the Bowman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Nice shooting there LadyHawk!

Wish I was out in the woods, a bad day in the woods beats a boring day at home anyday in my book ;)
Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest