First traditional muzzleloader deer

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm

First traditional muzzleloader deer

Postby Renegade45 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I shot my first traditional muzzleloader deer tonight and have now harvested a deer with almost every type of weapon. I have killed deer with a rifle, compound bow, longbow, shotgun, single action pistol and now a traditional muzzleloader.

I just bought a nice, used Lyman Great Plains Rifle online with the 1:60" twist barrel. I used a .490 Hornady roundball, a pre-lubed .015 patch and 70 grains of 3F black powder. I was hunting from a tree stand when two does walked within 45 yards. I took aim at the larger of the two and "click"...misfire! Both does looked my way, watched for a while, but went back to looking through the snow for something to eat. I was able to fish another cap out of my pocket and put it on the nipple. This time...fire! The doe never moved and fell over like she was hit by a brick.

It's so funny the bad things I've read about the ineffectiveness of roundballs on deer. How wrong! I'm not sure how much deader a deer needs to be for them to be considered effective. I know I'm going to keep using my Lyman and roundballs.

One more thing. This was also the first shot I fired from this gun since I just bought it! I know that's not the smartest thing to not know where a gun is sighted, but with fixed sights, I figured I'd just line them up and go for it. It hit exactly where I was aiming.
Attachments
doe and gun1.jpg
Renegade45
Spike Bull

Re: First traditional muzzleloader deer

Postby Greywolf » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 am

Congrats on the trad kill, real glad it was sighted in. hate to hear it could of turned out worse. 186 gr rb?
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:03 am

Congrats on the clean kill. As far as round ball effectiveness is concerned, I've used them for years and have killed many deer with them. The trick is you have to put the ball in the right spot. The first round ball deer I killed was with a little .45 caliber round ball. It was an 8 point buck. I shot him at something under 50 yards and he ran about 30 before piling up. I didn't get an exit wound, but the slug was under the hide on the off side and was flattened til it looked like a nickle. I now use a .54 round ball gun and wouldn't be concerned with firing on a buffalo with it. You bought a great rifle. In my opinion the Great Plains rifle is the best of the best of the mass produced production guns.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby Renegade45 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 am

Greywolf wrote:Congrats on the trad kill, real glad it was sighted in. hate to hear it could of turned out worse. 186 gr rb?

Actually, the box has no information about the grain weight. When I googled it, I found that it was 177 grains.
Renegade45
Spike Bull

Postby Renegade45 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 am

zeek from coon creek wrote:Congrats on the clean kill. As far as round ball effectiveness is concerned, I've used them for years and have killed many deer with them. The trick is you have to put the ball in the right spot. The first round ball deer I killed was with a little .45 caliber round ball. It was an 8 point buck. I shot him at something under 50 yards and he ran about 30 before piling up. I didn't get an exit wound, but the slug was under the hide on the off side and was flattened til it looked like a nickle. I now use a .54 round ball gun and wouldn't be concerned with firing on a buffalo with it. You bought a great rifle. In my opinion the Great Plains rifle is the best of the best of the mass produced production guns.

I agree it's a fine gun for sure. I've owned a few TC Hawkens and Renegades (thus my screen name Renegade 45). I love my TC's, but they're not as traditional as I wanted and my Renegade had a Green Mountain .45 caliber long range hunter barrel. I decided to sell my TCs and go fully traditional. However, I didn't want to spend $1000 on a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken or a custom Hawken. I'm definitely happy with the look at performance of the Lyman.

As for the bullet. It passed through the doe completely. You can't see the entry wound in the photo, but it went in right behind the shoulder. The hair covered right back over it and it looked like there was no entry. When I rolled her over, there was a huge hole and tons of blood. Like I said in my original post, she fell over as if a truck hit her. No movement whatsoever. :shock:
Renegade45
Spike Bull

Postby greenmountain » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Where do folks come up with the round ball ineffectiveness idea? I have taken a few deer with a muzzle loading rifle all were taken with round balls. Every one entered and exited a very soon to be dead deer. The longest tracking job was about forty yards. Congratulations on a clean kill.
Native Vermonter and proud to be a sportsman
greenmountain
4X4 Bull

Postby hanshi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:14 pm

The prb is a lethal projectile for any deer or black bear hunting. I've killed many with a couple of .45s, three .50s and a .54. Never doubt that simple round lead ball. Congratulations on your first BP deer.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
hanshi
5X5 Bull

Return to Traditional Harvest