Greywolf I finially did it

Show off your harvest. Both Traditional Archery and Traditional Firearm
Les
Raghorn Bull
Greywolf I finially did it

Post by Les » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:21 pm

the recovery was not good. lost all trace of blood last night after tracking 30 yards on dry land and another 25 yards in a very wet slew so no happy smiley pictures of my first trad kill. The buzzards found him this morning. When I saw 30 of them 150 yards from the stand on the other side of slew I just had to investigate. This guy made it through the slew over a road under 6 inches of water and another 40 yards up on high ground.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Greywolf I finially did it

Post by Greywolf » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Congrats on the hog. I know Florida is overun with them, was it cold enough that you could salvage them meat? Be suprised how long the meat will last under some circumstances. Here in Hawaii we're good to go for a day in the sun for 4 hours or so. after that it starts to get dicy. Those green deer fly's are worse than the heat, they lay maggot eggs in a quick hurry.

Looks like a #140- #150 hog did ya get to weight it?
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Les
Raghorn Bull

Post by Les » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:38 pm

No there were buzzards and flies all over it just sneaked in for the picture. Temps last night in 80s. One of the other guys brought in a 300+ bar hog. Talk about fat.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:05 pm

Kinda hard to track through water..........unless of course your using Snuffers, then just follow the clots on the bottom :rolf: Is Gene Wensel gonna be back there anytime soon? One day I'll make it to Fl to hunt with ya.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Congrats but sorry at the same time. Stinks when one gets away from us like that. Reload and go get another. :D
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Les
Raghorn Bull

Post by Les » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Last I heard... Gene and Barry are on the way today after some monster bucks.. Gene stops by from time to time down here. He is an incredible story teller and fun be be around. Don't know when he will be down next.

Thanks for both the congrats and condolences.

New hunt starts Friday with Brother Pete.. we will be out for a week ....

The topper was this morning.. we have an 8 point restriction... imaging how I felt having this guy come in before light. Took 20 minutes before I could do a true count. He then made this loop 3 times..guess he knew about the rule.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45 ... CN4568.flv[/pbmovie]

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:19 am

He looks like a 2 yr old. next year he might make the 8 point rule. if you can hang a ring on the point it counts? and no Management rules either I suppose. 8 points or a doe?
I talked to pete friday on the way home, he's packin the bows and getting ready.
I changed the the copperhead and replaced it with dark angle working limb and tips. little more acceleration to the tip, but not much.
Glued a riser up today and it's in the oven as I type. have to wait till I see how it looks before I decide which bow to build.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Les
Raghorn Bull

Post by Les » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Pete mentioned he had a good conversation with you and the three of us do think alike. One of these days we will sit by the same fire. Post some pics of the new bow will you..along with the original dark angle.

Mark I did a "2 blade snufferizeing" on him :lol: look at the exit hole. My only guess is I snufferized a little back :oops: . Liver and single lung or double lung? As you have said they are like tanks. I did not think to turn him over to examine entry. He was slightly quartered away and I was shooting from 15 feet in the air when the shot occurred.

For any one interested here is my full account of Friday night and Saturday morning.

Friday running late for all the wrong reasons. Have to get buggy from repair and get it to lease, pick up 20 bags of corn for the feeders.
Half way to garage and realize I do not have keys to the lease. It is panic time worst case will sit by side of road till another member arrives.

3pm every thing has turned out ok. Truck, buggy and feed are on lease, just inside the gate. Transfer 950 lb corn to buggy and take care of the front feeder. Back to truck. Put tarp over buggy incase of rain and drive truck to camp will pick up buggy later or Sat after first hunt. Time is flying, unpack truck repack for hunt. I am in a rush and forget stuff.

At about 5:30 I I am walking a road leading to a stand that I had not used for over a year. temp is in the high 80 's I can feel the sweat beading on my back from the walk in . Out of my tee shirt I let the breeze do its thing before putting on my camo shirt and spraying down. The wind is coming out of the southwest, which is very unusual and why this stand gets little use.

I hunt the feeder frequently but from a second ladder stand on the west side of the feeder. 15 yards behind me is a slew about the size of 6 football fields or more that has been so high that the road by it edge is under water with occasional mud flats.

I spent the next hour and 20 minutes watching great white herons, Sandcranes and other critters of the sky working the slew. Had the pleasure of watching a large (for Florida) buck strut up the far eastern edge of the slew. Tried calling him in with no success.

6:50 feeder will not go off till 7. Suddenly two hogs come charging in from the eucalyptus woods followed by a third that body slams one and nips at the others hind quarters. All three quickly find the corn I scattered leading over to my stand. The stand is placed about 25 yard from the feeder. All three are quickly on the chum line heading my way with the 3rd hog showing attitude the entire time, body slams and nips at hindquarters.

I am up with bow in hand and start to focus.
One hog, one spot then suddenly a whole a bunch of mental garbage floods my brain. No video, no photos, Damn I’m in forum posting mode not hunting mode. Deep breath, relax find the spot, concentrate.

An observation I had made while sitting in the stand for the previous hour was my chum line and shooting lanes. From the feeder their entire right flank was protected by scrub for 10 yards leading into an open area where I scattered corn. Looked good from the ground not so good once I got into the stand.. A wonderful Y shaped oak branch providing great coverage for me but protecting 2 thirds of the clearing. Tiny dead branches that I cannot reach are in my way blocking potential shots.

The hogs are making their way to the clearing, three abreast with a yard of open space separating the one in the middle. A perfect marching formation if only I had my cameras I can see the post “3 hogs to John Phillips Sousa”. I can’t get the music out of my head..
Some of you may know it as “Be kind to My Fine Feather Friends” others know it as a section from “Stars and Strips”. The music continues in my head vision shifts, 3 hogs , then one hog, then one spot which is clearly in the middle of the Y and one arrow is on the way. Contact and it looks good. Formation breaks left, right, and up the center. The center hit hog takes off straight towards the slew with my arrow buried to the fletching , cuts hard right at the edge of the slew, snow plows out of sight ,I can hear him running but cant see him. Silence then two large grunts and silence. 5 minutes and 3 text messages later 2 does come in behind me offering me no shots. What a night 3 hogs two does all within 15 min. I have a compass bearing on where I think I heard the hog grunt and a good visual of where he went down and out of sight.

Shooting light is gone as I descend from my perch. No sign of blood where I hit the hog, hold on there on the reed 5 yards toward the slew the tiniest speck of red…some more and deep fresh hog prints. I am able to track to where I saw him plow out of sight. It is a junction of 2 hog trails just on the edge of the slew. Heading into the slew barley visible the grass and reeds seem pushed apart. I can see no blood at the location and no sign of tracks on the two trails so I decide to head into the slew. Couple of yards in and I find blood , got him I think. Minutes later I loose all sign. Water, water every where and not a sign of hog. Discouraged I head back to the stand coming up with plan B. Compass bearings

I gather my stuff and decide to walk the roads high side from where I lost him in the slew looking for some sign of the hog exiting the slew and cutting towards the bearing. I examine the road carefully checking out the mud flats looking for anything that might indicate the passage of a hurt hog on the run. I find nothing. Back to the stand and decide one last thing. Walk the bearing and perhaps get lucky. He has to be down and close from the sound of those long ago grunts.
Unfortunately that did not work either. After covering a good 100 yards along the bearing and doing a sweep I headed back to camp. I just knew that by Saturday the buzzards would show the way.

Saturday am and I am back at oak in the west stand. Wind had shifted over night.. All during my morning sit I am glancing heaven ward keeping a lookout for buzzards to show the way. Finished the morning sit having a 7 point under the stand for an hour plus but no sign of buzzards. Time to get down and do some chores. Remember the buggy up front and the 950lb of corn. I needed to get all my other feeders filled and running for my brother’s visit.

12:45pm and I am finishing up on the last feeder and my cell goes off. “Les there are buzzards circling your feeder ”. me “they weren’t there 30 minuets ago” caller “they are there now I going to check it out and take some Iphone pics” me “ thanks I am 10 minutes out, I will check too and see you back at camp”. Sure enough about 150 yards out from my stand on a bearing of 110 NOT 120 degrees surrounded by buzzards and swarming with flies lies my hog. No bow no arrows no camera they were all back at camp on the back seat of the truck. I pull my cell phone thinking of what could have been. Taking a single picture I walk away allowing the buzzards and flies to continue their feast of rotting flesh.

Here is my single photo followed by two more taken on an Iphone.

Thought I would share this . Friday night while lamenting the loss of my hog this member who is 73 years young brought this Bar hog in solo. Had to use his winch to load him up on his truck. 300+ pounds of fat and good eats.

gameslayer
4X4 Bull

Post by gameslayer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:02 pm

gonna hafta get me a hog one of these days.congrats!

spikebuck
4X4 Bull

Post by spikebuck » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:29 am

cool