What Did You Do Today 2017

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

What Did You Do Today 2017

Post by WinterHawk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:57 pm

What happened? The site has been absolutely dead lately. What is everyone doing?

I've been mostly being retired, so just putzing around with projects here and there. Got out today with the recurve and made 60 shots, some of which were right on the money and others... well, not so good. Walked the dogs for a couple of miles, cooked up a mess of beans for dinner, read some in Sand County Almanac. The boy bought his own car (first one for him), a 1992 Saturn with only 23,000 miles on it. Now I have my Ranger back, and got the front end aligned yesterday after putting new springs all the way around.

So what did YOU do today?

~WH~
~WH~

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: What Did You Do Today 2017

Post by hawkthrower » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Well -not retired yet! - In the real world, just building an enterprise virtual desktop environment for up to 1000 concurrent login sessions....which has to be implemented by Aug..... Um - using a group of clustered high availability servers with 60 Terabytes of ISCSI attached storage on a 10Gb fiber optic network..... and bunches of other stuff....Um...... :shock:
[size=85]"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher[/size]

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Post by born2hunt » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:27 am

I'm seeing this on boards everywhere.
Social media.
Facebook has several trad groups and things are really busy there.
Kind of sad. I really like these message boards or forums.

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:19 pm

hawkthrower wrote:Well -not retired yet! - In the real world, just building an enterprise virtual desktop environment for up to 1000 concurrent login sessions....which has to be implemented by Aug..... Um - using a group of clustered high availability servers with 60 Terabytes of ISCSI attached storage on a 10Gb fiber optic network..... and bunches of other stuff....Um...... :shock:

Sounds like my kind of fun! :dance:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:20 pm

born2hunt wrote:I'm seeing this on boards everywhere.
Social media.

I agree! :(
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 pm

born2hunt wrote:I'm seeing this on boards everywhere.
Social media.
I guess I'm in trouble then, as I never saw the use of all this social media stuff. In fact, I hand wrote a letter this morning, didn't even use a word processor (other than a ball point pen)! :rolf:

Flung some arrows again last night. I'm hoping tomorrow will be good weather to take the dogs out and kill some stumps. I also need to get to the rifle range and burn some of the holy black...

~WH~
~WH~

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 am

WH I'm with ya on the throw arrows and walk the dogs! just cuz I have my head in high tech stuff 8-5 doesn't mean I have no fun.... Four weeks ago I tore my shoulder up. :oops: Embarrassingly' crashing hard in front of my son-in-law on the ski slope. So it's going to be several months till I can pull my bow :cry: ....But I think I'll be able to go out and get in some practice with the rifle - so long as I brace it - off hand is not going to work unless I shoot wrong handed :x
The apothegm of Narada,

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:31 pm

OUCH! Did the SIL ski over you, or was he able to avoid that? Brings to mind m-a-n-y years ago when I was going to U of Alaska, Fairbanks. A bunch of the people in the class went tobogganing on a road on campus. It was dark, so one drove their VW van behind the tobogganers with the lights on. :shock: You guessed it, they lost it and the van couldn't stop. Nobody was seriously injured but they were scraped up from the undercarriage. The snow was deep enough and not packed down hard that they were just mooshed down. :roll:

~WH~
~WH~

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:24 am

nope he didn't ski over me but it was none the less un flattering and still very uncomfortable. but heck it was fun. went skiing again two weeks later just the wife and I - so long as I don't try to lift anything or move it in the wrong way its fine. It's just that normal activity seems to be the wrong way to move it!

I'm putting together parts for another project that I've put off for several years I'll post more on that in awhile......

other than the present lack of snow to slide down we are now under rain and with that the accompanying
MUD :evil:
Can't do the tractor work I should to get done this week - so the rain falls and the seed is in the barn still.....too much MUD
The apothegm of Narada,

fujimo
Spike Bull

Post by fujimo » Tue May 30, 2017 8:23 pm

went to my first 3d shoot over the weekend, i discovered that not only did i suck at shooting at foam, but also really disliked it. sad , but i tried :(

eventually took out my stumping arrow- and while my mates were shooting at foam, I would call a stumping shot and go for that" that leaf between the T-rex's legs" etc.
they were a little bemused, but my fun level and my hit rate immediately went up :)

Johnbow
4X4 Bull

Post by Johnbow » Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 pm

I went out to Mike and my little hunting lease to pull the trail cams and someone had taken one of the trail cams. That is the way it goes sometimes. On the other two cams were pic of pigs, a few deer and a lot turkey. :( JohnBow

Johnbow
4X4 Bull

Post by Johnbow » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:47 am

They did' take my trail cam I forgot where I put. I did remember where I put it. Getting old is not fun. :rolf:

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Johnbow wrote:Getting old is not fun. :rolf:
It does beat the alternative!

~WH~
~WH~

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:56 am

Been preoccupied the last month or so - haven't been browsing through the posts on the forums.... but does not look like too much is happening!
My torn shoulder is still on the mend and I have more PT - But I have been able to draw my bow!! yea!!
Other than-that hurdle - My son and I went on a "shakedown" back pack trip in the Pecos.. Both of us want to make a few long trips this summer.... Fly fishing for trout was ok for early season and murky water......Both my son and my son-in-law are interested in a "long walk" sometime this summer...Probably in August after the last snow melts from the high peaks and passes...More as we make prep trips :dance: and get in shape!
Panchuela Creek Trail Head - Pecos Wilderness
Panchuela Creek Trail Head - Pecos Wilderness
The apothegm of Narada,

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Sounds like fun! :applaud:

~WH~
~WH~

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Annual inspection day - went through and stripped, swabbed, oiled, assembled and inspected. Glad to see all's well! :D

Tomorrow we will hike to the crash site of TWA 260. It's a day hike but very challenging....
more after the trek. Here is a topo-map - https://www.hikingproject.com/symbol/7003046
The apothegm of Narada,

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 am

Yesterdays hike was tough! The trail is in bad shape and we ended up bouldering through over grown dried out thickets in the canyon. At 102 degrees we did OK but we could have had another several gallons of water!.....We did not quite make it to the memorial but we did see some wreckage. Really tough going at the upper end of Canyon de Domingo Baca!
IMG_1616 (2).JPG
view up Canyon de Domingo Baca - half mile from the trail head.
view up Canyon de Domingo Baca - half mile from the trail head.
The trail is over grown with trees down - no water in the stream lots of dead undrgrowth.
The trail is over grown with trees down - no water in the stream lots of dead undrgrowth.
Rock climb !
Rock climb !
Tram car overhead near the crash site
Tram car overhead near the crash site
The Sandia Wilderness Area is tough going on many of the west face trails!
The apothegm of Narada,

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Wow! impressive country. You do that very often and you'll be in super shape!

I've been close to home. The wife had a total hysterectomy last Wednesday after the doctor found some polyps and bad cells which could turn into cancer. I got away on Monday to the BMV and get groceries, walked the dogs this a.m. and worked in the vegetable garden. Doing some reading, almost through "Journal of a Mountain Man" by James Clymer. Shot the bow some in the back yard. Putzed around with my little Ford Ranger and in general keeping busy.

Hope the Fourth was a good time for all!

~WH~
~WH~

BRM
Spike Bull

Post by BRM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Hello , this is "Poggins " , it's been quite a while since I've been on here , a lot has been going on .
Last fall my brother bought a sawmill ( I found it on CL for about half the price of a new one for him ) and we have been milling logs when we have the time , he built a floor for his green house from eastern red cedar and I have been selling a few slabs for tables and bar tops .
Been too dang hot to fire my forge up plus I need to get some coal for it .
A group of OSS members went to Montana to help with their first self bow jamboree, we had a blast and they had a good turn out , I'm glad I got to be a part of it and pass on what I have learned .
We spent a week traveling around Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota, I miss the cool weather up there , got to see a grizzly, elk, bison, prong horn , mule deer and the best moose , we didn't see any moose in Yellowstone but when we went through the Bighorn national forest we saw a cow with her calf at a water seep beside the road and a few miles down the road there were three bull moose together , we didn't see any bighorn or mountain goats .

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:16 pm

I work in the heat everyday and have been holing up in the A/C during the evenings.
I have been stabilizing some wood for making game calls this fall. One of my Hackberry trees lost a limb so I cut up several blanks.
I dipped another dozen shafts in gasket lacquer yesterday evening and sat and enjoyed the lacquer fumes :shock: . I'm going to make a dozen blunts for shooting yard targets. I hang 20 oz. pop bottles from the tree limbs in my yard and can get many different angles and distances for practice shots. A little breeze makes them swing and adds to the fun.
Went to Silver Dollar City with my kids and granddaughter last Friday. We got soaking wet on a couple of the rides and that helped keep us cool. My 5 year old granddaughter is going to be a rollercoaster junkie. She is tall enough to ride the Thunderation coaster and goes the whole distance with her hands in the air. Most grown-ups won't do that.
Got some much needed rain this morning. Now my grass will need mowing tomorrow.
One of our apprentices has a patch of rivercane growing in the corner of his yard. He told me I could dig up however much of it I wanted. I stopped by after work about a month ago and dug up a box of it and planted it when I got home. The next morning I realized I had run off with about 50-75 of his chiggers along with the cane. Chiggers are bad this year. I have had to spray my yard three times this year just to control them and the ticks.

By the way.....those are some beautiful pictures and scenery.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:29 pm

Good to see some folks returning!

We've had pretty wet, cool weather (cool as in temperature) which has affected the vegie garden. Everything looked lush and green, the zucchini and cukes gave beyond bountifully, tomatoes are sagging on the vine but stayed green, and the green beans didn't start to flower until a couple of weeks ago. Swiss chard always does well and we have been chowing down on zukes, cukes and greens. Then about a week ago the weather dried up and it got warm. We've had five red tomatoes, and hopefully the rest will start to ripen also. However, the leaves on the zucchini and cucumber plants are starting to wither so I don't hold out much hope for future harvest there, although they do have lots of flowers.

Shot a bunch of stumps last week in the hills behind town. I left with three arrows in a new hip quiver. I only used one of them, but when I got home I realized one got snagged by the brush, somewhere. That hurt, an eight dollar carbon arrow with judo point! I need to get back up there and see if I can find it, but I think I'll stick with the back quiver!

And that is the news from here....

~WH~
~WH~

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:47 am

Still too busy to sit still for any amount of time. The University is re-doing all of the fiber-optic and copper cable on our entire branch campus, 15 buildings, plus we are redoing the cold room and all of the wiring closets with new power and punch panels, and equipment racks. This is only one of the major projects I've been managing - at last count there are thirteen contractors and crews on site! Major crazy! To make things even more nutz classes start Monday. BUT I have been able to throw arrows out back almost every evening that I get home before dark (which hasn't been as often as I'd like) and I'm almost through with PT on the shoulder! They have me working on building back some strength and I still cannot move it the way It was able to before the crash. Still cannot hold draw on a 65lb bow like I was able to before either...But I'm getting there...oh well....getten old sux but ya still gotta have some fun!! :D
The apothegm of Narada,

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:23 am

Good to see that you are mending well. I don't think I have ever tried to pull a 65 pound bow; 50# is enough for me. I am starting to have shoulder pains at that and mostly shoot the 45# recurve.

Vegie garden has gone from an over abundance of zucchini and cucumber to beans and tomatoes. I just canned 9 pints of beans, need to go pick more and get them ready for canning or freezing - I like the later idea as long as we have electricity for the freezer. I also need to get the Swiss chard cut back and maybe in jars also.

Squirrel season starts the 1st here in Ohio, looks like a good excuse to be out with the dogs and .45 flintlock!

~WH~
~WH~

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 pm

The beans didn't work out well this year, they were all woody for some reason. The tomatoes hung in there as green as they could be until the beginning of this month. Then they started getting red and the fruit flies started after them. We ate well and I gave a lot away to folks in the neighborhood and at church. We have several cases of pint jars with tomatoes, salsa and tomato sauce. I finished the last of them as sauce last night and canned up another 5 pints today.

Haven't been out in the woods as much as I would like. I do try to get a half hour or more walk in every day. The husky needs it or he is all moping around the house. I need it to keep the waistline in check. For upper body conditioning of course I try to get in the back yard with the bow, being pathetic. I'll shoot six arrows and get a nice tight group, retrieve them and the next six shots are all over the place. Consistency is not my forte! :cry:

Hope all is well with everyone. I surely miss the posts which used to show up here. Hope some of you all will return! (Brian, where are you?)

~WH~
~WH~

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm still here. Seems like everyone else is funding Zuckerberg's pockets and holing up on facebook.

Been busy as heck lately. We go all year hearing that there aren't any funds for much needed maintenance on the grid (electric utility). Every fall we are hit with a deluge of projects because a bunch of money miraculously appears and we have to get it spent by the end of the year. Right during the holidays and hunting season. I'm getting burned out on the overtime (300+ hours so far). The light at the end of the tunnel is in sight though. I'm planning on retirement the first of February. I like the work I do and can't ask for a better crew but management is driving me away.

I have managed to get in a couple of hunts. Saw several does and fawns but only a few bucks. One of my trail cameras had 324 videos on it in an eleven day period. A lot of bucks and some real dandy sized bucks in them. Next weekend is out because I'm on call for the weekend and the area I hunt is almost completely without cell service.

What little time I have off has been spent making arrows and reloading. :archer:
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Aeronut wrote:Every fall we are hit with a deluge of projects because a bunch of money miraculously appears and we have to get it spent by the end of the year. Right during the holidays and hunting season.
I've seen and railed against that for years, especially having worked for Federal, State and local governments. Towards the end of the year they realize that the money in the budget hasn't been spent and if it doesn't get used it will go away. On top of which, the holders of the purse say that they haven't used it all this year so next year you won't get enough. The result is that there is no incentive to save and the nation goes further and further into debt. Curses on them all!

~WH~
~WH~

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Today and tomorrow our schedule is to drain three single phase transformers, replace the leaky drain valves, and replace the two 69kv bushings in each one of them. Then fill them back up. Each transformer holds 1227 gallons of oil. No way that will be done in two days. Our scheduler is nuts.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am

Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Full Quiver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello,
I'm still here too, just don't computer much. Check my e-mail, this gregslist & occasional youtube for when i need to learn something.
Hunting has been slow here. To hot at the first of the season, finally getting cooler here. looks like the rut is fixing to kick in.
Going out in the morning & saturday morning hope to at least see something in bow range not just on the side of the highway :roll:
Donnie
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Good luck Donnie. I may have to wait until December the way my schedule is piled up.
:archer2:
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 pm

None too much happening here - major projects are still not completed after nearly 16 weeks. Only two are almost to hand off and sign off..... The mess is rather terrible.... and the last progress meeting pushed the finish date on one contract out till after the first of the year. :evil:

No lottery tags this year (not that I'd be able to take the time off) so just weekend turkey hunting.

There is also that my youngest kiddo has been having seizures, which have been getting progressively worse in spite of the Doctors and the pills.... We now have to go to a specialist at Johns Hopkins and spend a week testing and talking to find out if they can pin down what the issues are and what can be done to slow or stop the episodes...... The wife and I as well as her siblings have been on our toes watching and hoping that we don't end up in the ER another time this month! We've only been visiting there 4 times in the last 30 days.... :shock:

So there - not caught up on all of it - but enough to make a pile of it for sure!
The apothegm of Narada,