Cold

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Cold

Post by KsBow » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:34 am

Ladies and Gentlemen. If you are located in the cold, be extremely careful. We're enduring temps that are dangerous. Our wind has layed some up here to some extent. However, the ambient temp this morning was 10 below zero. Yesterday we had some windchills in the minus 30's. That's not to be taken lightly. I now have an eunuch for a brass monkey. I love to hunt in the snow, but I'll wait till tomorrow and the heat wave back into the low 30's before going back out. I Ain't 30 yrs old anymore.
Be Safe My Friend. :campfire: I
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Cold

Post by Aeronut » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:06 am

It wasn't and still isn't much better here in SE Ks Ralph. Temperature is 8* with wind chill at -12 right now and last night the wind chill was around -20 and was cold enough that the thermometer in my Oldsmobile only showed -- for a temp. Headed outside to throw wood in the furnace as soon as I can get enough clothes on.

I do remember being in a tree one very still morning about thirty years ago when it was 10 degrees. Only thing I saw was a bobcat sneaking through the woods trying to find a meal. He was about 20 yards away and heard me draw my bow as he passed behind a big Oak. After about 30-40 seconds he peeked around the tree and was looking right at me. By that time I had the shakes from holding full draw (72# compound) and missed a chip shot at him. :?

I'm going to work on some bamboo arrows today. That will add some heat to the house.

Dennis :campfire:
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am

Wind D Ranch
Spike Bull

Post by Wind D Ranch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:30 pm

-9 here this morning. I waited until it warmed up to about +4 before venturing out to see if any rabbits or squirrels wanted to play. It's hard to sneak up on anything when it is so cold that snow squeaks when you walk on it.
NRA Life Member

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men) The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:26 pm

I was wondering the other day how the cold would affect a bow. It would seem that the limbs would have a certain reluctance to functioning, and I don't want to go out and have my bow delaminate on me.

~WH~

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:01 am

I have shot my bows when it was down to about 5* and wondered the same thing. Now at age 60 I think the squeaking and groaning I hear is coming from my shoulders and elbows and not the bow.
:shock: :archer2:

I haven't had one of my bows turn loose yet but that is always in my mind.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am

KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Post by KsBow » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:32 am

Same here Dennis, only 69 adds more squeaks to the noise level. Right shoulder is no good for most things, however I can still pull a bowstring and that's kinda important to me. :campfire:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Post by KsBow » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:45 am

I will add this to the discussion on cold. On the 18th, it got up to around 13 degrees in the afternoon, so that seemed just right to hit the woods. By 5:00 the temp was dropping like a rock. I put an arrow through a doe around 5:30. She ran off with most of the business end of my cedar shaft sticking out of the ribs on the off side. I walked a half mile to get my truck. Called Dianne to let her know I'd be late. I was shivering and shaking so hard she could hardly understand me. Waited, warming up, in the truck for close to half hour. Picked up the trail, scant blood. Found broadhead end of arrow. Lost blood. Started looking. Fingers were now frozen and numb. Quit till morning. Too Cold. Next morning picked up blood 50 yards from previous blood. Trailed her in a big circular track through CRP grass, plum thickets, sumac thickets and downed tall grass for over a half mile. Started seeing coyote tracks on her trail. Found her, but the yotes found her first. Cold cost me this venison. But to be honest, I would not have been able to track the same trail in the dark. In Nature, Nothing is lost. It all returns to Nature.
This is from 6:00 pm till 9:00 am.
Attachments
12-19-16 Doe.JPG
12-19-16.JPG
Damn Coyotes.JPG
Damn Coyotes.JPG (213.68 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:47 pm

A few years ago our boss shot a nice buck (rifle) just before dark and lost the trail. He's not a tracker at all. Next morning just after daylight a coworker and I went with him and took up the trail. I had a very good idea where he was headed so I circled around and found him just short of where the trail left the CRP and entered the timber. Coyotes had a great meal.

On another note, a few years later I shot a doe just a quarter mile west of where my boss shot the buck. Tracked her until it was after dark and found myself in the middle of the woods with the realization that I had not eaten anything since breakfast early that morning and was getting a serious case of the shakes. I marked my spot and headed for the truck deciding to get back on the trail just before daylight.

I worried that the coyotes would get another free meal but found her easily the next morning. She had traveled about fifty yards total. I had stopped looking just a few yards from her when my blood sugar started to tank. Coyotes had not touched her but I found out later that the humid conditions close by the river had caused the meat to sour. :(

I am still satisfied that I was able to shoot her at a distance of ten yards while standing on the ground and did it with six other deer standing that close around me. I had accomplished the shot with fourteen eyes looking everything over and was not seen by any of them.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am

Lymann
Spike Bull

Post by Lymann » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Weinter Hawk wrote:I was wondering the other day how the cold would affect a bow. It would seem that the limbs would have a certain reluctant to use phen24 functioning, and I don't want to go out and have my bow delaminate on me.

~WH~
That's pretty gruesome.