Hey Guys.... I need a Huge favor...

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Hey Guys.... I need a Huge favor...

Post by Greywolf » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Greywolf here, I need some help, I'm getttting ready to make antler knob limb bolts for a few of my Wounded Warriors who are making bows. Ok Here the favor, I need a antler knob from a deer,(shed is fine too) it needs to be pretty straight in line with the crown of the knob, the rounder it is the better, I have one that in nice but the antler grows sweeping back, so instead of being round.... it's oval.but sometimes it tightens down and the antler bolt is sideways on the limb ,Which is ok for the most part. But....?

I'll be making a mold of the antler knob to use over and over. The one I have now is fine for the most part... but a better on is needed.
It's kinda hard to describe..... but if I tell people to put a piece of leather of felt under the antler, they don't seem to like that, (like it won't tighten tight or something....) Hense my need for a straight up antler off the knob.

I hope I explained that so people will understand, For the person who has one, I'll make you a set of Limbs bolts for the donation in trade...... if ya want.
Shoot me a PM with a picture of 2 sides, that will help me greatly.

Mahalo for the help in advance, but Understand...... it will mean cutting your antler, if you send the whole antler, I'll use the antler for tip over lays on other bows. So it will go to a good use.

Happy Thanksgiving !!
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: Hey Guys.... I need a Huge favor...

Post by TradRag » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 am

can you give us approx. diameter? I'll look through my stash.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Hey Guys.... I need a Huge favor...

Post by Greywolf » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:51 am

Let me see if I can get these to load, maybe it'll explain it better...
The drawing is actual knob shape, it's hard to center on the limb.
IMG_0262.JPG
Here is what I have now.. see the slant?
IMG_0259.JPG
What I'm looking for as a end result, a smaller deer antler would be better for a limb bolt.
Axis deer sweep back just past the knob as you can see and has a thicker base..
IMG_0258.JPG

Now is it clear as Mud...LOL I think I confused myself, I thought about shaping it with a dremel, but it doesn't look good because I'm removing antler and the knob is round, makes too much of a lip and catches everything.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii