What did you do today 2016?

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
McClura
5X5 Bull

Re: What did you do today 2016?

Post by McClura » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:37 am

Those are some good looking cast bullets! I have some like that but are hollow point and 425grn. A friend casts them and gave me 50 of them to try on deer and elk. They shoot great from my 45-7- Sharps. I also have been doing some tweaking on my Vermier back sight. I starting drilling the peep hole larger, one wire size bit at a time until I had a good sight picture and my front globe sight was clear. It was the berries in low light.
I'm going to try them in my Thompson Center 45-70 Contender with 14" barrel and muzzle break. I shoot 300grn JHP's from it now.
I have 20 rounds loaded with 50grn of 2F Swiss for deer season in my Sharps.
Good luck on your hunting.

Mike
Oklahoma Selbow Society Charter Member
Member at Large-Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member-Kansas Bowhunting Association
Life Member-National Muzzleloading Rifle Association
You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing!

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks Mike.

I may go down to my cousin's place in Texas this fall. Don't know for sure about making the trip but I sure would like to see what one of these would do to a hog. :shock:
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am

McClura
5X5 Bull

Post by McClura » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Made a dozen Cedar arrows this weekend. 11/32 , parabolic feathers, gasket lacquer, crested, medium walnut stain 61 spine. They go with an Osage bow that I made for a friend at work.
Attachments
Walnut-clear cedar for Wes Kenny 9-10-16.JPG
Walnut-clear cedar for Wes Kenny 9-10-16.JPG (111.83 KiB) Viewed 10926 times

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Lovely as always! :77:

~WH~

BRM
Spike Bull

Post by BRM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:18 pm

It's me Poggins , I've been off here for a while and I haven't been able to log back on with my old user name so I had to start with another one .

I've been pretty busy this year , my father took over management of a recycling yard and I've been helping him keep it going , he just turned 79 and is running it by himself, good help is hard to find .

We just had the outdoor expo last weekend and I spent three days catching up with the OSS family and worked on a couple bows of my own , we handed out over 200 free rattan bows to some lucky kids, always fun .

Our bow season starts this Sat and if I get to hunt the place I want to I have a good chance of getting my first turkey .
There's not many deer moving on my place ( Mollie barking may have something to do with that ) but I hope the farmer that let me hunt last year lets me hunt the same places , I need to make some time one of these evenings and get some fish down to him .
image.png
Good luck this season and be safe out there .

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Aeronut wrote: And they kick like a mule.
Something about for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction! :lol:

~WH~

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:13 pm

Shot my first self bow deer today............ :archer2:
Attachments
P1010255.JPG
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......

zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Post by zeek from coon creek » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:33 am

Congratulations! He's a beauty.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)

Johnbow
4X4 Bull

Post by Johnbow » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:17 am

Good looking knife laying on that good looking buck. LOL JohnBow

McClura
5X5 Bull

Post by McClura » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:15 am

Meat on a "Stick"! Congratulations on the deer. Now the pressure is off. Can hunt for fun now that you have meat in the freezer. Great shooting.

Mike

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:21 pm

Mike the pressure has just now started
Attachments
PICT0080.JPG
PICT0113.JPG
PICT0118.JPG
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 am

Nice!

~WH~

KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Post by KsBow » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:05 pm

Pulled some camera chips. Actually got to hunt this morning and evening. Saw only varmits. Mornings getting cooler. Getting good pics on cameras. Congrats Leslie. Beautiful arrows Mikee. :applaud:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

McClura
5X5 Bull

Post by McClura » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:18 pm

I was bored. :eek: I found some osage under a tarp I had stored at my Mom's place in 1995 after having to move it from a safe place at work before they took down the shelves and built an office in the building.
I cut them in the fall of 1995. Yes- they have been under the tarp since then. No bark left on them.
Some bug holes and spiders. :shock:
I thought, what the heck I have a few hours of daylight so I got out the skill saw, wedges, and sledge hammers and went to town on them. They will need a little clean up on the backs but should make some fine bows. Good grain and straight.
The logs are about 18" diameter and 6' long. I had split them in half, burning up a chain saw bar and chain and one sledge hammer handle.
Got 5 good staves from one side of a log and will work on another tonight. I just thought I was getting short of sage. :applaud:
Attachments
Osage-staves 1995.JPG
Osage-staves 1995.JPG (136.31 KiB) Viewed 10821 times
Osage-log 1995.JPG
Osage-log 1995.JPG (132.46 KiB) Viewed 10821 times

KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Post by KsBow » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Mikee.....short on sage.....Yeah Right! Next you'll tell us you've been seeing pigs fly!!!
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Well good afternoon to y'all,

Frosty here, for those that do not see me elsewhere on the web I figured I better let y'all know I am still alive and kicking. ;)

Life has been busy and my internet is so unreliable that I do not get much time online anymore.

Spent the past few months working on the daughters 84 F-250, again, and again, it's gonna be a 30 year old brand new truck when we are done. :rolf:
That and working on restoring her horse trailer so she can haul her mustang around come this spring, and working on her boyfriends truck too.. Too much car work, not enough time to play with my archery stuff. :(

But I am back hunting now, here in Idaho. A week ago last Saturday I had my closest encounter ever with a deer. I was hunting in the rain, in a clearing in some trees/bushes on the ground when I got surprised by a doe who did not like me very much. I was being a ding dong and texting my daughter, and poof, she pops around the corner and is standing there like 10 feet away stomping and snorting at me. She did run off about 15-20 yards, so I got up and took a shot. My aim was off, shot felt bad the second I let go, so I watched my arrow (Thanks again Zeek!!!) go through the tree limbs above her and sail over her back. That was the first time I have ever taken a shot at a deer with any weapon.
She ran off about a hundred feet still stomping and snorting at me, like I said I don't think she really liked me much. What was up with her, seriously, I had a nice place next to the mashed potatoes and gravy for her and everything. You just can't please some deer, ha ha

Last Saturday I went and took a class on Flintknapping!!!!!!! Very exciting, I had a blast.
I got lucky and made connection with a local guy who is offering to help me learn and he's been nice enough to even give me some stone to get started with too. Trad people are the best!!!!!
I'll see if I can upload the pictures. I broke a lot of rock, and learned some too.
But I was most excited about the small arrowhead I made from a flake of either flint or chert that one of the instructors handed me. He said he was sure there was an arrowhead in there and what do you know, I found it! It may not be perfect, but I made it, it's my first time doing it and I am darned proud of what I accomplished.

Looking forward to this weekend as my best friend is coming down for the weekend to stay with me and we are going out deer hunting together on Saturday.. Whoo hoo, i am a lucky boy for sure.

Take care y'all till next time,

Frosty
Attachments
My arrowhead.jpg
My arrowhead 2.jpg

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 pm

That's a great looking arrowhead if you ask me! :77:

I hear ya on the 30 year old , brand new truck. My '89 Ranger has been going through the same transformation over the 7 years I have owned it. I put a coat of green equipment paint on it a couple of weeks ago with brush and roller, and painted the roof yellow. It sure doesn't look like a body shop paint job, but the only place which would touch it here wanted $2500, $1500 if I replaced the doors and bed. On an $800 beater? Right. $50 worth of paint and supplies and it is pretty well ready for another 10 years, maybe more. And I have had numerous complements that it looks so good... :eek: As long as they don't get too close! :lol:

~WH~

Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 pm

Winter Hawk, we did the same thing with my daughters truck. We used some old industrial paint my father in law got from a friend before he retired.
We've replaced the transmission, transfer case, rear driveline, and recently had to redo the front axle and the brakes. Why all of a sudden is it so hard to find parts for older trucks is beyond me for sure.
I mean one reason for buying an older truck was lots of parts.

Thanks for the kind words about my arrowhead. It was my first try. I spent the afternoon busting a nice mahogany obsidian slab into lots of smaller pieces. I did start working on an awesome piece I was trying to thin down, but unfortunately it snapped in half. It was brown, with black specks and some cool clear spots.
The piece I made my arrowhead from was just a flake that one of the instructors gave me that he found in a debutage pile from someone else. I was so glad that I managed to be successful at my first attempt. Can't wait to get together with the teacher Harvey and learn some more and get to practice some more too. Also I can't wait until I can get some knapping tools made. Would like to go full abo, but a lack of antlers will dictate that I'm going to have to start out making copper tools for now.

Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Well I went out after work today. It wasn't for very long, by the time I got off at 5, drove home about 45 minutes and grabbed my gear I only had about 20 minutes before it got so dark I couldn't see the trail 12 feet away.
But at least I got out. Was hoping one of the does I saw over in the neighbors field would wander through, but no such luck tonight.
Got a busy weekend ahead of me for sure. Have to help my daughter and her boyfriend clean up his Elk head so his brother can do a Europian mount for him.
Then we have to finish our chicken coop finally. Not going as well az I would like. Finances are not cooperating so we're building it from salvaged pallets and other salvaged wood we can find.
We also have to help my daughters boyfriend unload the Gold Trommel that he built by himself from scratch at school. I can't believe how big this thing is and that a 16 year old kid built and welded the whole thing from his imagination. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that much when the only show he watches on tv is Gold Rush. Ha ha
Well we still have until December 1st to hunt deer here in Idaho. So good luck to y'all who are also still hunting.
Take care,
Frosty

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:55 am

Back in the early '70s my wife had chickens and we needed a coop for them with winter approaching. We didn't have much money either and I built it from slabs I got at the local sawmill and posts I cut in the woods behind our place. I insulated it with sawdust from the sawmill. It may not have been totally comfortable for the chickens, but even with -50d. temperatures we didn't lose any of them, and they still lay a few eggs. Which froze....

~WH~

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:17 am

Frosty there's nothing better than free when it comes to pallet wood for making a coop. I made one when I was a kid for birds I kept in the back yard..... I have the general plans for the coop in th photo I built it out of 2x4's and OSB. If you want I can send you the construction photos...... it's a 4x8 floor and uses 7 sheets of OSB plus one sheet of 3/4 floor underlay... lumber cost under $200 and it just went through an 80mph wind without a hitch! the wire pen has been removed and I built a 6' wire fence to keep the yotes out..... this is photo is a couple years ago..... It's over 8 years out in the back yard and is still in great shape.... but it needs paint and a pro-panel roof....someday....
IMG_2399.JPG
[size=85]"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher[/size]