Question For All Deer Experts

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Question For All Deer Experts

Post by Aeronut » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:32 pm

I have two or three trail camera videos of the deer and she always has her tongue hanging out. Is this normal or some ailment that causes this?
Attachments
New Movie.Movie_Snapshot.jpg
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am

Wind D Ranch
Spike Bull

Re: Question For All Deer Experts

Post by Wind D Ranch » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:32 pm

If you see a dog like that, it is usually due to missing teeth. Maybe she just knows about the camera and she is telling you how she feels!? :D
NRA Life Member

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men) The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:13 pm

4nolz said he thought it might be because of missing teeth or broken jaw.

I found another dead buck last Friday, a 10 point with no visible wounds. He is within 100 yards of the 8 point I found a month ago. Both were healthy looking deer.

Kansas legalized deer hunting with any center fire cartridge this year. I may be looking for a pinhole sized bullet hole. I contacted the local warden and gave him the info on both bucks.

The thing I don't understand is it took over three weeks for the coyotes to scatter the first buck. The one I found Friday had only been touched by the 'possums. He had been dead several days.

We have a very large coyote population.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am

greenmountain
4X4 Bull

Post by greenmountain » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:55 am

Your comment on the coyotes is interesting. I put the scraps out from a deer I shot. It took a month for the first coyote to visit. In previous years they were gone overnight.
Native Vermonter and proud to be a sportsman

Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Post by Sneakon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:30 am

"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon

Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Aeronut » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't think this is EHD or Blue Tongue and I truly hope it is not. I have both of the bucks on video at various times and they were in good health and neither of them show any signs of the disease in any manner. The doe with her tongue out I have on video at various times and have observed her a couple of times over the season.

I back trailed the 8 point and there was every indication he had been shot. I honestly believe it was a small caliber round and I could not locate the wound. The 10 point, well, I couldn't hold my breath long enough to get a good examination of him. And I have been able to hold my breath for over five minutes.

I did contact the local warden and he said he would take a look. I plan to contact him for a followup at a later date.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am

WolfHiker
Spike Bull

Post by WolfHiker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:16 pm

There's not a disease that I know of that causes a deer to stick it's tongue out like this, changes are she has some kind of injury inside her mouth as other have mentioned, possible lack of teeth, broken jaw (tho that would likely swell at the back of the head or the point of the break and even a bad healing wouldn't likely cause this). Her nose looks a bit swollen so she might also be mouth breathing and her tongue sticking out is a side effect.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." - Fred Bear