The "Cecil the Lion" Embarassment

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

The "Cecil the Lion" Embarassment

Post by zeek from coon creek » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:33 pm

As honest, ethical sportsmen, what do we do with this Public Relations disaster? How do we explain the difference between this event and what we do when we go afield? I can usually hold my own in such philosophical discussions but, honestly, in this instance I am at a loss for words. It scares me when I consider how powerful the P.C. machine has become over the past few months. The banishment of the confederate battle flag is an astonishing example of just how quickly the tide of public opinion can shift and how equally quickly politicians will cave in and cater to the whims of that opinion. All thoughts on this topic are welcome and appreciated as I try to become better equipped to honestly answer friends' and coworkers' anti-hunting comments relative to this lion killing.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)

campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: The "Cecil the Lion" Embarassment

Post by campcook » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Zeek people just need to understand that what that guy did had nothing to do with hunting or fair chase. It always torques my jaw when a poacher is called a hunter or something like this is called hunting its just plain killing. Alex

Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Full Quiver » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 pm

I heard a little about this deal. Don't know much about it except he was in Africa & if so he had a PH who was licensed by whatever country he was in, probably. That would make it the guides problem.
I just don't talk to anti-hunters about hunting, they are not likely to change their mind & I am definitely not going to change mine.
Most of these people who are whining around about this Lion, who should have been left as a wild animal to begin with so he could have been hunted fair chase, probably never give a second thought to the people who are murdered every day by some illegal career criminal or religious extremist.
As far as ethics go, every one has there own set of standards, I would guess that guy would rank pretty low in my book. I don't trophy hunt & I hunt fair chase, I try to eat every thing I kill with the exceptions of a few animals which might be killed because they got into my chicken house or were about to.
Personally I think this stuff makes the news to smoke screen real atrocities that occur every day.
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:08 am

Amen Donnie....
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:47 pm

I don't trust anything the media says these days. They twist things way out of proportion.
Most PH's use bait the hunt lions, leopards and other big cats cause they are rarely seen during the day.
Only two people know the real story, the rest is all media hype and guessing.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by FullDraw » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:18 pm

It sickens me that a lion that's killed by POACHERS, draws more sympathy and press than the thousands of unborn babies killed by abortion every year. Our Supreme Court Justices need to remember their rightful purpose and stop making laws in this country. This is just one of the many things burning my butt, lately.

Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a