Target suggestions

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Target suggestions

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:03 am

Howdy to you all.

I have a question, forgive me if I have ever asked this before. I'm exhausted and have been trying to remember to ask this for quite awhile.

I am interested in looking into getting a target to shoot in my backyard. What are your thoughts?
I would love a 3-D target, but they seem to be likely out of my budget at this time.
So I will probably be looking for a block style target. Hopefully keeping the price below the $100.00 mark if possible. What are your suggestions? ???

I sure appreciate all of your help.

Frosty

zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Re: Target suggestions

Post by zeek from coon creek » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:59 am

Hi, Frosty, good to see you here. I don't know if you have Academy Sports in your area but if you do, they sell a foam 3-D boar target for about $80 and you can often catch the smaller "no frills" deer targets on sale at about that price as well. Otherwise, probably the best value in targets are the bag targets. These consist of a bag similar to a feed sack that is stuffed with sheet plastic. These targets seem to last forever with field points.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)

Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Poggins » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Frosty , with hunting season coming to a close a lot of stores will be selling thier 3D targets at discounts so they won't have to put them back into storage , I'm fixing to start looking for a new one , I've about blown mine apart practicing the last 4 months , a layered block style target might last longer if you shoot a lot ( not uncommon for me to shoot 40-60 arrows in an evening after a hunt to be ready for the next day , not to mention shooting new bows in ) .

Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks Zeek and Poggins.

I sure appreciate your help on this issue.

I've seen a few of the cheaper 3-D targets on sale at Cabela's. My only concern was some of the reviews kinda sucked.
I originally about a 3-D target, but just was not sure.

So I started thinking about a Block target instead. I definitely want something that I can shoot both field points and broadheads.
I also don't want and can't afford to buy one that I will have to be replacing in a few months.

Thanks for all your help, you guys are awesome.

eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by eddie c » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:32 am

last year at a shoot I bought a Blob target. it is basically the left over rubber glue that is used on the back of carpet that has been dumped in a box and allowed to harden. they work good for broadheads and FPs. tough target but it is the same as the others when you get to shooting a lot of BHs into it, little chunks with get cut out of it. when those Xs, /s, \s and *s start cutting into each other, no target is going to hold up.
right now I have a blob target, a burlap bag full of cotton left from a picker and a throw ball from Block. I test my BH flight on the blob but use FPs the rest of the time. I was using bag targets before these and the last ones I had lasted 5 or so years before they finally wore out.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1

Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Post by Sneakon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:43 am

I've been stuffing old cloth suit cases with rags. Basically a free target that last a season or so shooting in the back yard almost every day. Field points come out easily.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon

zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Post by zeek from coon creek » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:13 pm

You could build a 3 sided lean-to type shelter from old pallet wood and put a sand pile in the back of it. I saw this set up in a magazine once and it looked pretty neat. Broadheads won't hurt it. All you have to do is rake or shovel the sand back up on the pile occasionally.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)

eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by eddie c » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:28 pm

zeek from coon creek wrote:You could build a 3 sided lean-to type shelter from old pallet wood and put a sand pile in the back of it. I saw this set up in a magazine once and it looked pretty neat. Broadheads won't hurt it. All you have to do is rake or shovel the sand back up on the pile occasionally.
I wanted to do this but my wife's cat would think I made it for her. :roll:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1

campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by campcook » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:08 am

Frostie I stuff a dog food sack with the fifty bijillion walmart sacks you get when you shop there. once sack is filled I sew it up and you got a target if you shoot the sack up put another on before the sacks start coming out. Cheap and it works. Alex

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:45 pm

I made a target 25 years ago and only replaced the Styrofoam once.....I have run thousands of arrows through it.......mostly Broadheads......when I start shooting though it I just compress it some more by cranking down on the two nuts on top...........you can also remove the worn out part and put it on the bottom or top replacing the middle with the Styrofoam you haven't worn out yet . I make it out of 4 by 8 sheets ....one inch thick styrofoam with the silver backing just like what you put on a house when you build it . Its fits between the frame so there is nothing to worry about hitting in the middle..........it might cost a little to build but it will pay for itself over and over...........good back stop for 3-d targets too..........here is some pictures .....Oh its about time for me to replace the middle :mrgreen:
Attachments
P1010132.JPG
P1010133.JPG
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:48 pm

Forgot to say it is 18 inch's thick............I found this is the best..........any thinner you shoot though it fast..........any thicker you can't get arrow out with out a chain and a mule ... :lol:

Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:49 pm

Hey Stickandlimb, that's very cool.
I used to know a place that made something like this, but :eek: wow was the price up there.

What are the dimensions of your target, and can you email me more specific details of what you used to build it, etc? Please, I think this just might be what I am looking for.
Do you use a particular brand of foam sheets? How many layers, pieces of foam are in your target?
Thanks for sharing.

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:39 pm

Its just 4 by 8 sheets of one in. thick ...it has the silver paper backing on it ....and I buy a whole bundle of it ...not sure how many comes in a bundle............cut them 18 wide with a skill saw........you can cut about 5 at a time . Stack them up as high as you want . the stand is made out of 1 in tubing for the sides and 1 and a half by 3 for bottom frame ....I put a all thread at the top to give plenty of thread to crank it down as needed . I put a 3/4 in piece of ply board on the bottom and one on top . Also a 1 and a half by 3 tubing on top with holes in it to fit over the all thread bolt .......I will send more picture if you need some...........

Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:05 am

Thank you so much Stickandlimb, I sure appreciate your help. Some more pictures would be great if you are able.

This is such a good idea, surprised more folks are not doing this instead of shelling out heaps of cash at places like Cabelas.

Happy new year.

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 pm

I saw something similar built out of 2x4 lumber many years ago. I believe they used hay bales instead of styrofoam. The frame was just as wide as the bales and compression came by pulling the top 2x4 down with a block & tackle arrangement.

I have three hay bales stacked up out back with a cheap foam target hanging down in front of it, right against my shed. Every so often an arrow goes between two bales and I hear a resounding "THUD" as it hits the wall....

~Kees~

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:59 am

[quote="Winter Hawk"]I saw something similar built out of 2x4 lumber many years ago. I believe they used hay bales instead of styrofoam. The frame was just as wide as the bales and compression came by pulling the top 2x4 down with a block & tackle arrangement.

I have three hay bales stacked up out back with a cheap foam target hanging down in front of it, right against my shed. Every so often an arrow goes between two bales and I hear a resounding "THUD" as it hits the wall....

~Kees~[/quote The thing I like about Styrofoam is you can shoot broad heads in them with out doing any damage to them other than dulling them .

Eddie
Spike Bull

Post by Eddie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:46 am

the bow ship I used to work at had the setup stickandlimb has in his picture. since it was indoors, they used cardboard with a rubber mat backing. it was mostly used with FP and for indoor dot rounds. every once in a while someone would shoot a BH into it and it would get hung in the mat. when they found out they would lose the head they would get upset. we couldn't get to the back side.

shawnee
4X4 Bull

Post by shawnee » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:02 am

A quick and easy bag target can be made for almost nothing. Go to your local feed store and ask for one or two of their plastic feed bags. Might cost you a buck or two at most. Then start hitting up the walmarts, tractor supplies, or wherever they get pallets of freight. Most are wrapped in plastic, and it just gets thrown away. Get enough to stuff the bags as tight as you can get it, then sew or lace is shut with heavy thread, artificial sinew, or waxed nylon. Add some grommets on the corners if you want to hang it, or just lean it against a tree or something.

Spray paint some target spots, or the outline of a deer body, whatever you want, and you have a lightweight target that will take a lot of punishment, especially with field points.
Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers. Tecumseh- Great Shawnee war chief

KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Post by KsBow » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Good ideas guys. Another great outer bag is seed bags like grass seed comes in. They're made of woven nylon and the take field points very well. Stuff em with whatever you want, plastic grocery bags, bubble wrap, the plastic wrap Shawnee was talking about. Cheap and durable.
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO