DIY - Deer Meat - Where does it come from?

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
TradRag
Site Admin

DIY - Deer Meat - Where does it come from?

Post by TradRag » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 am

For those DIY'ers out there, new hunters, and veterans that process your own venison. Never hurts to have something to look at when you go to process whether it is your first deer or your first harvest this season. I figure we can all learn some tips from each other. Please share your tips. Does anyone process the neck meat?
deer meat.jpg
deeronpaper.jpg
deeronpaper.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 11411 times
[attachment=2]deeronpaper.jpg[/attachment][size=150]Boneless Hind ¼ Primals 1) Eye of Round 2) Bottom Round 3) Top Sirloin 4) Top Round 5) Sirloin Tip 6) Tenderloins 7) Backstraps Boneless Front ¼ Primals 8) Neck 9) Shoulder 10) Top Blade 11) Mock Tender[/size]
Attachments
deer muscle pix.gif
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Re: DIY - Deer Meat - Where does it come from?

Post by Oklahoma Leatherman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 pm

We process our own deer. I like to let the meat soak in ice water for 3-5 days, draining the water and replacing ice and water daily, and then cut into steaks the back strap and tenderloins. I then take the rump roast and front shoulder meat and either cube it for chili or cut into strips for jerky. I normally do not have a deer large enough to worry about the neck meat or rib meat. There is just not much there in my mind.

With the size of my family we normally grill all the steaks for one meal with a little leftovers if I am lucky. If time allows my misses will make the jerky. If it does not it is in the freezer for when there is time.
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Poggins » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Sometimes I do a roast with the neck , I'll save it back after I cook it and BBQ it for sandwiches at work .

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Yep those are the technical terms. Everything on my deer is steaks. maybe one day we can get a grinder for Lanai and do some burger.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by eddie c » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Oklahoma Leatherman wrote:We process our own deer. I like to let the meat soak in ice water for 3-5 days, draining the water and replacing ice and water daily, and then cut into steaks the back strap and tenderloins. I then take the rump roast and front shoulder meat and either cube it for chili or cut into strips for jerky. I normally do not have a deer large enough to worry about the neck meat or rib meat. There is just not much there in my mind.

With the size of my family we normally grill all the steaks for one meal with a little leftovers if I am lucky. If time allows my misses will make the jerky. If it does not it is in the freezer for when there is time.
this is almost exactly what my wife and I do. I mostly get it off the bone and she does most of the rest. I do a good portion of the grinding. she doesn't like my wrapping and packaging so she does that and I label it.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1

eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by eddie c » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:58 pm

I forgot to add, sometimes we cut up the neck to add to the ground meat. recently we met a fellow that does a lot of cooking with cast iron. he was explaining to us the best way of cooking the neck in a dutch oven that literally melts in your mouth(his words). I understood it as just a normal cooking process since I can't cook. I think my wife is wanting to try it.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1

campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by campcook » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Me and the four dogs managed to eat eight or nine deer last year most of which I processed my self. I usually cut the meat off the neck for the dogs same for the ribs and the little scraps between the ribs and back legs. I used to grind all that stuff just clogs grinder and not much flavor for the hassle. Mark said its all steak and He's right but I've found that if your going to freeze it leave it in roast form and cut your steaks when you thaw it to use. I've even quit grinding it until I'm ready to use it, cuts down on my time bent over the sink and the meat retains more moisture. Eddie you need to get mama a vaccum packer its only way to freeze your venison. Mark with all the pork you kill you need to mix a little with your deer for sausage or burgers. You need to hit Bass Pro on black Friday they got grinders, vaccum packers and dehydraters on sale. But I don't remember seeing Bass Pro in Hawaii. Price you pay for living in paradise. Mark have you tried those Kraft coatings I told you about they make some for fish and pork to. Last week at big Mac there were some folks there that could have used some lessons on cutting up a carcass they were leaving as we came in from the field they had the deer skinned but all four legs were sticking up from the cooler. :rolf: Alex

greenmountain
4X4 Bull

Post by greenmountain » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Neck roast is a real treat in mid winter. The trick is in the presentation. Take one medium sized boneless chunk of neck meat. Brown it in hot oil on the wood stove. Add water peas, beans and a couple carrots and an onion or two. Slow the fire on the stove and go scouting with hunting partners. Two or three hours in January air usually has the hunters done. The roast takes a bit longer. At dark bake some biscuits and serve up the meat and vegetables in large bowls. The stew/roast will warm the body while the talk will warm the spirit. Try it. It is a winner. Bob
Native Vermonter and proud to be a sportsman

Brinky
Spike Bull

Post by Brinky » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:21 pm

I've been processing/butchering my own deer since I started at age 14 (1984). I hunted on a potato farm then and we had crop damage permits for a 1400 acre farm. Population density was in the 65-75 per sq mile neighborhood so we shot a lot of deer. I would hate to think of how many deer I have cut up over the years but I basically chop it up much like the diagram. I don't get real fancy cutting steaks or anything special. I freeze it in pieces like the one picture and do with it what I want as I go. The meat on the lower legs and shoulders is used as sausage and jerky meat. I have yet to bother with anything on the ribcage as that is pretty minimal and not worth the effort. Some times I do peel the fat off the ribs and melt it down to make suet balls for the birds. Do this outside or in the garage if you're married. Trust me, deer fat can be a little rank.
A neck roast is very good if you take the time to trim it out properly and well worth the effort if done right. There are a lot of tendons,hidden fat and of course the throat/wind pipe that you need to carve out. I separate and trim out all the individual muscles first. Then I clean them up good and lay them out on paper and trim them so they are all the same length. This is a good time to season the meat if you so choose with a good rub or favorite seasoning. Next I lay out several lengths of butchers twine. Just wing it on how many lengths you need, at least three though. Lay the meat on the twine re-assembling the neck and tie it up. Either bag it and freeze it or brown it for dinner. I brown it in olive oil( that's all I use) and then put it in a crock pot and let it cook until it's falling apart with whatever veggies you feel like. Pretty easy process but a slow cooked neck roast is worth the work and once you eat one you'll never leave one on the bone again or feed it to the dogs. Well, maybe share it with the dogs. My dogs are spoiled.

Squeeze
Spike Bull

Post by Squeeze » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:30 pm

I cut an avg size deer neck into 3 equal pieces with a hacksaw and just leave the bone in. they will usually end up as soup, But have made a few into pot roast also. nice slow and long simmer either way

scoutmaster
Spike Bull

Post by scoutmaster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 am

I've always processed my own venison. I like to hang them in the barn at least overnight and up to a few days in cooler weather with the skin off. Then, they cut up better for me and there's little to no blood to deal with. I take the backstraps and some of the larger hindquarter muscles and turn em' into steaks and then grind the rest. It's a lot of trouble, but by the time I get the carcass trimmed for grinding it looks like the buzzards have already cleaned it up.

I'm not real good at trying to stay with textbook cuts on anything other than the backstrap.

elkslayer4x5
4X4 Bull

Post by elkslayer4x5 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 am

We process our own deer every year, 3-4 deer. We use every scrap of meat, even trim in between the ribs, all used in sausage, and thats what we do with the neck meat as well. We have a real good sausage recipe, most of the sausage gets used in a meatloaf, a family favorite. :)
1966-67 Darton "Classic" 58" 40# 1970 Ben Pearson "Cougar" 62" 43#
1972 Darton "Fury" 60" 48# 1974 Howatt "Hi-Speed" 58" 50#

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Anybody using the tongue? I'll boil it in lightly salted water for a couple of hours, or use the pressure cooker, until it's falling apart tender. Great with rice or spuds with vegies. Then cold tongue sandwiches the next day can't be beat! Now I wish my Sweetie would appreciate it, but she says it was in the deer's or cow's mouth and that turns her off. Oh well....

~WH~

McClura
5X5 Bull

Post by McClura » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 am

Neck meat is good for sausage and jerky. Clean off every scrap, trim off silver film and grind it.
Tongue- might take it out, fry it and feed it to the dog. :D My grandpa tried to get me to eat cow tongue many years back- didn't like it then.

Mike

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:58 pm

[size=85]"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher[/size]

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:22 pm

campcook wrote:Me and the four dogs managed to eat eight or nine deer last year most of which I processed my self. I usually cut the meat off the neck for the dogs same for the ribs and the little scraps between the ribs and back legs. I used to grind all that stuff just clogs grinder and not much flavor for the hassle. Mark said its all steak and He's right but I've found that if your going to freeze it leave it in roast form and cut your steaks when you thaw it to use. I've even quit grinding it until I'm ready to use it, cuts down on my time bent over the sink and the meat retains more moisture. Eddie you need to get mama a vaccum packer its only way to freeze your venison. Mark with all the pork you kill you need to mix a little with your deer for sausage or burgers. You need to hit Bass Pro on black Friday they got grinders, vaccum packers and dehydraters on sale. But I don't remember seeing Bass Pro in Hawaii. Price you pay for living in paradise. Mark have you tried those Kraft coatings I told you about they make some for fish and pork to. Last week at big Mac there were some folks there that could have used some lessons on cutting up a carcass they were leaving as we came in from the field they had the deer skinned but all four legs were sticking up from the cooler. :rolf: Alex
Not tried the Kraft coatings yet, just a time thing I guess. I wanted to do some fun experimenting , but wife refuses to touch it in any way shape or form till it's cook on the plate.
Just not enough time, so like you I cut it as it's half thawed out, make steaks with the larger portions and as it gets to the ends or smaller I butterfly what's left.

The Pork here needs to be cooked well as the hogs here are about 100% leptrospirosis so all the meat neats to be completely cooked well. I know some people that do hog sausage, just haven't spent the money to have a machine shipped here.

Hey Santa? Guess what's on my Christmas list?
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by campcook » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Mark try that Kraft seasoning and mama might not even know what she's eating. Alex