Anyone still have late hunting seasons open?

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
LadyHawk
5X5 Bull
Anyone still have late hunting seasons open?

Post by LadyHawk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Just wondering what states still have a hunting season open. I am in Iowa and our late split primitive weapon whitetail season ends Jan. 10th. Just a few days to fill my last tags. Then, if this cold snap ends, I will move onto small game. Tree rats open till the end of the month. Bunnies are open till the end of Feb. Then a 2 month wait for spring turkeys!
What states are you all in and what are your late seasons like?
LadyHawk
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: Anyone still have late hunting seasons open?

Post by TradRag » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:57 pm

yes, Deer ends here in Oklahoma on Jan. 15th and small game.. let me look... Squirrel runs until Jan. 31st and Rabbit good until March 15th. Then on to spring Turkey from April 6th-May 6th.

I'll be out this next weekend hoping for a deer to cross in front of the sight window of my longbow.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Curve1
5X5 Bull

Post by Curve1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Here in Alabama ,our deer season ends January 31st. Deer are just now coming into the rut.

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Deer are just now coming into the rut.
Lucky you! Our rut ends around Thanksgiving. Sometimes we may get a bit of a second rut with some does turning hot but not this late in the season.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

xring
4X4 Bull

Post by xring » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Hey Brian, I had a buck chasing a doe this past weekend. Course he wasn't a big buck so he may not know what he's doing. They are still working the scapes around here though.
Black Widow PSA III 57@28
Black Widow PSA X 52@28
Groves Spitfire Mag III 48@28
Toelke Whip 52@28
Deutsch Drahthaar

eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by eddie c » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm

here in TN, our firearms will go thru Jan. 10th. the kids have it to themselves on the 16th and 17th. we are allowed to use our bows and muzzleloaders during the firearms season.

gonna try to make in the woods for about an hour and half after work this afternoon. I havent been in 3 weeks and havent been in this spot for about 6. maybe I will get lucky.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes.............. and that's all I'm going to say.... :rolf:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Nah. shoo I wish!! I think the south Gawgia deer season is still going until like next weekend. Our last day was jan 1st. so I'm on a squirrel, rabbit, predator and hog regime until spring time and turkeys..which I usually start off trying to hunt turkeys and wind up killing hogs ;)
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.

Curve1
5X5 Bull

Post by Curve1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Tradrag, in North Alabama [back in the 4?0's I think] they transplanted some deer from Michigan or Wisconsin, and those deer kept the same rutting patterns all these years. So, you'l have some deer ruttin in early November and some coming into the rut in late December.
Down here in LA [lower Alabama], we have the late rut....it dont get cold enough to get rid of the skeeters trill December. :)

kerryb
4X4 Bull

Post by kerryb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:06 pm

here in missouri, archery deer runs until jan 15, tree rats and rabbits run until feb 15. very few rabbits where im at to many bobcats and coyotes.

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

I don't think hunting is ever completely closed here. Bear is open year round, caribou closes for cows during calving but bulls are fair game, wolf is year round. Small game is the real ticket right now the ptarmigan and rabbits are nice and fat! Only time I don't hunt is during the salmon runs but as soon as I get what the family needs for the year I'm out hunting again.

My next big game hunt is march caribou, I think of it as my last hunt of the year even though it's technically my first big game hunt of 2010. Of course I carry a bow in the truck year round that way I never miss a chance to make meat for the family.

Our late season hunts are cold and dark.
Just this Alaskans Opinion

Iowa-Lefty
4X4 Bull

Post by Iowa-Lefty » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Katie,
You can start right back in for deer on the 11th till the 31st of January, just has to be antlerless deer, unless your county's antlerless quota is met that is. Here in SE Iowa the antlerless quota is pretty high as well as some of the highest quotas in the four counties in the NE corner.
Chris
TAKE A CHILD INTO THE OUTDOORS WITH YOU!

longbow
Spike Bull

Post by longbow » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Ohio we have Jan 9-12 muzzleloader season and then archery season again untill Feb 9th I think.

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Looks like we all need to move to Alaska!
IA-Lefty - Good idea. Pretty sure Warren Co. Is sold out. I think the hubby would like me around some weekend as well. Temps crawling back up after this strom breaks. Will be at it all weakend. I passed on 3 does tonight with the smokepole. Hoping for a very tall tined 8 that likes to walk through my backyard when I am in the house. Plan to bow hunt on Sunday! Are you going to the SE Iowa trad bunny bowhunt in Feb. that Mr. Vic is hosting?
Lance- very jealous about the hogs!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm

LadyHawk wrote:Lance- very jealous about the hogs!
Come drag a couple, tackle one or two in a wallow, sew up a dog atter being cut, or shave the shield off one for taxidermy work... ya wont be jealous long :lol:

Seriously my wife gets mad sometimes because I get on to her and make her shoot a 60#er instead of the gnarly ol bruiser 200# dog stabber standing next to it. Hey..... when ya two miles from the truck?? in the mts?? Ones darn fine eatin the others tough and rank?? ya already got several of them big nastys to ya credit?? come on.... take the eater pig ;)
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.

Iowa-Lefty
4X4 Bull

Post by Iowa-Lefty » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Katie,
Yes, I plan on making the bunny hunt with Mr Vic. I am hunting with Curtis at 7th Age the 18th-24th of January, so I will get back in time to hunt the last weekend if the late season and then be ready for the bunnies in Feb. We always have a great time at the bunny hunt. Hope to see you there.
Chris
TAKE A CHILD INTO THE OUTDOORS WITH YOU!

del
Raghorn Bull

Post by del » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Deer season closes here Jan 31. Down south of here about 60 miles it goes on till Feb 15. The rut is ON! It's cold here( for us anyway 15 degrees) and they are running the does. Squirrel and rabbit till last of Feb. Turkey season opens middle of March, bass on the beds. Don't get no better. <>< del
A generous man will prosper, He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. Prov 11:25

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:41 am

Ladyhawk

Might want to factor in a few things before you pack. Winter is 6 months -30 is common and it is dark for 2 of those months. Our game densities are much lower than yours, yes guides put clients on game all the time, they follow the herds by airplane. In my entire moose season I saw 6 moose none of them legal. I walked an average of 6 miles each day I moose hunted and that's about the norm. I drove about 12 hours north to go Caribou hunting. In cold foot fuel was $8.00 per gallon, that's were your hunt starts. In 10 days of hard hunting I didn't see a single caribou, the herds were about a week late and sure enough 10 days after my hunt they showed. My march caribou hunt, well there will be about 6 hours with enough light to hunt then. The temp averages about -35 during those hours, then the sun goes down. The wind will be howling off the arctic ocean at about 50-75mph most of the time. My tent got ripped to shreds in a sideways snow storm in August on last years Dall sheep hunt and I spent 2 days hiking or huddled under a space blanket and I'm not even going to go into the conditions on my last mountain Goat trip!

Hunted deer in Michigan this October, saw 38 deer in 4 evening hunts! Tracy and I hunted in short sleeves and we hiked less then 300 yards from the truck...............

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:41 am

Point made and taken! I walk 600' out my backdoor to my 1st stand! My coldest hunt was last night at -3! I hunt early season in temps around 40-50 degrees. I just might have to pass on Palmer :^)

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:51 pm

You guys were about 5 degrees colder last night. :rolf:

Moose season the weathers actually really nice.....common up Tracy and I love guests.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:23 am

Then try Hawaii, we hunt 365 here. deer hogs goats, only problem is Ya gotta work and pay bills so huntin takes 4th row on the "to do list". racks are in Velvet and just coming back on. by the time the rut starts in May, they will be prime, lots of rain this year so it's gonna be a green season. Our public deer season starts 3 weekend in Feb and runs through June. public land is 365.

And that's why it's called Paradise....
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:15 am

That and a brake from the cold is why I'll be heading to the islands next winter. You guys have got to check on Hawaii's out of state licences too, affordable is an understatement!

Tracy did a bunch of research on Hawaii last year. I had always refused to go, no hunting or so I thought.........man was I mistaken! One small favor could ya turn the heat down just a little while I'm there? You really don't want to see me in shorts!

jaxtix
4X4 Bull

Post by jaxtix » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Arkansas deer season (archery) runs 'till the end of FEBRUARY! After being knocked out of bowhunting until just now (torn Deltoid) I lost a bit of drive and had to resort to putting a couple of razor heads thru an Armadillo that had been tearing up my front lawn. So the eye still works and I hope to get a chance any day now.jaxtix
"SOY KILLS"

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:45 pm

What---Hawaii has 365 hunting. I am packing now!

bone
Spike Bull

Post by bone » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 am

January 31st in Louisiana----Bone

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 am

Rick-
You need to be careful putting out an invite like that. Might just get some takers! Never had moose.

Broken Arrow 1
Spike Bull

Post by Broken Arrow 1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Im here in nebraska and we have bunnies and squirrel thats it. Im already counting down the days till next deer season! Im ready to try out my new Flinter.
Never forget those who came before us. Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters its how you hunt the animal

Backwoods
4X4 Bull

Post by Backwoods » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Quite a few counties in Texas have a special late general white tail season from Jan 4-17. Antler-less and spike buck only. But luckily for me, there is no season on the free ranging Axis deer west of San Antonio, which is were I'll be headed on the 20th for a 5 day walk-about.

Primarily hunting with the longbow, but just in case I find a long shot across a field, I'll be toten the muzzle-stuffer.
64" Red Fox Longbow
53# @ 28"

.54 Cal. Lyman Trade rifle.

Plumbob
Raghorn Bull

Post by Plumbob » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 am

Lion is open, Wolf, and small game. Weather has been so nasty, not sure the game wants to be outside. I had to put a target in the Man Cave and been shooting in there to keep my sanity. I'd rather 10 below than 35 and rain and that is what we got :roll:
"Some of the biggest adventures occur between your ears"