Taxidermy Scam Artist

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
Archenemy
4X4 Bull
Taxidermy Scam Artist

Post by Archenemy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Have any of you done business with Steve McAndrews at Artistry in Animals Taxidermy in Wagoner, Oklahoma?

Let me tell you my experience with him so far.

April 2008 turkey season I took my first turkey with a (recurve) bow. Took my bird to Steve's place on main street in Wagoner, Oklahoma. He has a real nice show room that is very professional looking. I paid $250.00 down and was told it would be another $250.00 when he got it done. He said it would take 9 to 12 months. So I waited a year and called him. He said it would be done by the end of May. End of May comes around and no phone call. I called him again and have been calling him a couple of times a month just to let him know I still expect my mount or my money back. I drop by his shop when I am in Wagoner and he is never there when I am. I have even tried the BBB and the Game Warden. All to no avail. Steve will not return any of my phone calls or messages. I would not recommend anybody use this guy if you want your mount back. I tried to get my money back through a bank dispute since I paid with a debit card, but it is way past the 120 day limitation.

I know it sound like I'm harassing the guy, but what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Here is pic of the bird and the story is under the harvest threads.

When it comes to archery, I am my own worst enemy!

Archenemy
4X4 Bull

Re: Taxidermy Scam Artist

Post by Archenemy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Harvest story is under the turkey category not the harvest threads. Spring Turkey Harvest.

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:23 pm

You have NO way of getting ahold of this guy? Is his shop still there? Truly stinks. That's a year and a half!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by eddie c » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:31 pm

that isnt harrassing. keep trying. these people are suppose to buy licenses to do taxidermy work. find out where that is and check with them to see if they have a different contact number. call his relatives. if you know someone at the police dept, see if they can run a missing persons report.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:38 pm

I'd be callin and "Harrassing him" a hellava lot more than you are right now. most of my "harrassing" has to be done by computer, glad I don't live in the same state as them !!

Too bad some punk kid don't throw a rock through his window, Bet the cops know who to call to get him to come in and board the window up !!!
Give the guy across the street your phone number and tell him there's a 20 spot in it for him if he calls you and you get there when he's there at the shop.

Can't hurt.
Call the cops at least, maybe they have some statute they can file, fraud and deceit
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Post by hairy beaver » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:12 am

Archenemy that's not harrasment ,, trying to get your funds returned is no more than self preservation ,, and by posting it in public you do us all a favor by keeping us from loosing our hard earned dollar$ , let alone the loss of an awesome mount , I personally thank you for that and i will pass this along to the other people down there that i know ,, wish i could do more to help , one thing i can do is recomend what was a decent taxidermist that i have used in the past ,, i used him back in 99 and he did some very nice work then, i've seen alot of his work over the years at fish and tackle shows , i looked him up and he is still in business and looks like he has grown conciderably , the shop is in OKC with pick up locations elswhere.

http://www.terrystaxidermy.com
No matter where you go , There you are

Archenemy
4X4 Bull

Post by Archenemy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:19 am

Well after further investigation I found out he's been sued several times already. I called the local police department and they literally laughed when I told them the name of the place and that they get calls on him all the time. They informed me that I would have to file a small claims suite against and that my chances of every getting the money or the turkey back were slim to none. Then they said his show room is now empty and there is a for sale sign in the window. They have tried to serve him numerous times and he has cameras in the front and back of his building and checks them before answering the door.

Archenemy
4X4 Bull

Post by Archenemy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:22 am

Well, it would cost me another $113.00 for small claims court and the last 2 claims against him he didn't show up and neither judge issued judgment against him. They just advise the plaintiff to re-issue which would cost another $113.00 every time he didn't show.

It was a special hunt and bird to me, but not worth the head ache it is becoming to be. I want to protect others, but I believe he has made more bad deals than just mine and it is causing him to pack up and leave town. He'll just set up somewhere else and start all over again.

mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Post by mountainrifle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:32 pm

one of the best things to do is just what your doing: warn anyone who might do business with him that he's no good.
man, that takes a really low person to do something like that. really sorry for your headache
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'

Sparta-T
4X4 Bull

Post by Sparta-T » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Getting involved with the taxidermy process is a calculated risk for a successful hunter because you run the risk of being totally ripped off of your cape, antlers, fish or turkey parts or discovering poor work for the money. I waited over a year for a particular fellow to get a skull mount done and then he had the nerve to suggest that I would have to pay a storage fee if I didn't pick up my skull in a week. I reminded him of the 6 months promise time when I brought it in and told him that my "storage fee" meant that I should get the mount for free. Obviously he didn't like that one bit................... :?

Another time I got a call on a hog mount from the taxidermy shop owner almost two months earlier than promised and found the fellow in the process of packing up his shop. The mount was done pretty well and I learned later that I was very fortunate because he was moving to the west coast to avoid legal issues. :o

On the other hand, I have had some very good work done and value those mounts a great deal. I had recommendations from folks I trusted and the references paid off. The folks who seem the most reliable are ones who do it for a living rather than a cottage industry hobby for spare money. Like with small time custom bowyers, you are at the mercy of their ethics and efforts............. :roll:

TL
Last edited by Sparta-T on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm

THIS, is the very reason I am taking taxidermy classes and doing an understudy beneath a taxidermist right now. well that and there's going to come a point in time where my bones aint young enough to keep doing what I do for a living.

Out of all the taxidermist in my area (and there's a bunch) three have good reps. the rest even though they stay covered up because from what people tell me "What other choices do they have?" have bad habits of putting others in front of new clients, over charging, giving finish times they cannot complete, and yes, ripping people off or giving them the wrong mount.

It's also next to impossible to get small game mounted without it costing more than big game around here. I know of close to 100 small game animals in freezers right now because the proud takers of these game animals say "I can't afford to have it mounted!"

I plan on approaching taxidermy the same way I aproach my regular job. I have a reputation for quality work, timelyness and doing exactly what I say I will do exactly when I say I will do it. it's whats kept me in business.
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.

Sparta-T
4X4 Bull

Post by Sparta-T » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:43 am

Once again, brother Lance...............I wish we lived closer. I would use you as my taxidermist in a heartbeat. 8-) 8-)

TL

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 pm

same Here Thomas. not to be ya taxidermist, but just so we could hunt together.

I finished my 3rd hog today. I did alot of sculpting on the form before I draped the hide on it. I'm really happy with how it came out. I have two hogs sitting there now waiting to dry so I can clean them up and put the jawsets and dressing on. can't wait!

Plumbob
Raghorn Bull

Post by Plumbob » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:12 am

You gonna be able to mount an Elk in Sept?...........might need too
"Some of the biggest adventures occur between your ears"

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:33 am

Personally I dont really care for mounts or trophies but I hear of stuff like this happening here all the time. Only sage advice I can think of is really check out who your leaving your stuff with, get referances from your friends and double check it. Most of the folks who use a taxidermist that I know only use one tried and true guy even if it means driving 6 hours out of the way.

BTW Where you really going to fork out $500 to have a bird stuffed!?!
Just this Alaskans Opinion

Sparta-T
4X4 Bull

Post by Sparta-T » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:51 am

Indeed Lance. 8-) How about a photo or two of your taxidermy work. Just want to see your craftsmanship.

Rick P--Just differences in taste I suppose. I don't have a lot of mounts, but they serve as lasting reminders of hunts and great experiences with hunting friends. I also have three whitetail paintings by Michigan artist Chuck Denault in my home to bring as much of the outdoors as possible inside. It is only hunting season for a short period of the year and such things bring a pleasant environment into my daily life.

I suppose some folks could use it as a bragging platform, but how many people do you allow into your home just to thump your chest? :roll:

TL

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Soon as I get all three of em dried up, cleaned up and dressed TL.

Dang Rob! I'm just learnin small game hogs bear and deers and ya want me to mount elk?? think thats gonna be outa my league bro :D

Its why I'm out shooting foxes and all sorts of different things right now. Practice on my own stuff first until I feel comfy doin em for others.

Plumbob
Raghorn Bull

Post by Plumbob » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Ur Elk buddy ;)

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Plumbob wrote:Ur Elk buddy ;)
well...... if it's *MY* elkk then......... I don't see no problem in mounting it :P matter of factly I may even give myself a good price deal on it. ;)

BTW you see my fox in the harvest section?? I'm practicin and working my way up to wolves!

Plumbob
Raghorn Bull

Post by Plumbob » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:04 am

Now your talking...................

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Sparta T

I get where your coming from. I forget sometimes that not everyone has the same outdoors advantages I do and even here in Alaska it's hard to beat the view out my front window. Thanks for your answer makes sense and I'd probably do the same if I didn't have this for a front yard.
4178203386_4e97e42cc2.jpg

BTW we haven't had a guest at all in about a month and one of the reasons I don't like mounts is the chest beater factor.

Sparta-T
4X4 Bull

Post by Sparta-T » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Wow............what a view, Rick!!! :o :o My hunting buddy in Kenai overlooks the Kenai River and I love sitting on his front porch. I've been to Palmer and Wasilla, so I know what you have and must admit my Michigan view is not nearly as spectacular. I live in a semi-rural area and have a "back 40" to stump shoot, but it doesn't hold a candle to your mountain vista.

Most of the folks who visit our home are either hunting friends who also have a mount or two on their wall or church friends who find me a bit strange. LOL :roll: My wife has gotten used to it over the years and I really appreciate it.

Stay warm........ ;)

TL

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:14 pm

You mention some of your friends think your a bit different?.............I brought Musk ox roast back to Michigan with me when I visited last, my friend Don organized the Ypsilanti folk music fest and I arrived during the post jam party with about 200 of his friends, all of them Hippies. Ya I know what it's like to be the only hunter in a room!
4191872348_12544219ed.jpg
Warm you say?

surveyor527
Spike Bull

Post by surveyor527 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Archenemy wrote:Well after further investigation I found out he's been sued several times already. I called the local police department and they literally laughed when I told them the name of the place and that they get calls on him all the time. They informed me that I would have to file a small claims suite against and that my chances of every getting the money or the turkey back were slim to none. Then they said his show room is now empty and there is a for sale sign in the window. They have tried to serve him numerous times and he has cameras in the front and back of his building and checks them before answering the door.
Here's my idea if you want to pursue it hard enough.
First, change Greywolf's $20 tip to $100. Second, surf the net in your state government offices and see if the assessment (tax) office has a website. If not, get in the truck and drive downtown to your tax office and find out the address of this guy (if in fact he owns a home). If so, you can take it from there. Otherwise maybe the $100 tip will pay off.
Forget about the danger......think of the fun!