Got fingerprinted today.... FINALLY it came!

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
Whitewolf
5X5 Bull
Got fingerprinted today.... FINALLY it came!

Post by Whitewolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:09 pm

No, not for anything illegal. It's the next step in my application for a CCW license. Now I just wait........ :|
Last edited by Whitewolf on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One stick, one string. What more does a guy need? Oh yeah, and something that makes LOTS of smoke when you pull the trigger!

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Re: Got fingerprinted today....

Post by born2hunt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Me too. Just waiting to hear back from the Sherriff.

Ken

Okie
Global Moderator

Post by Okie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:34 pm

Well if your sheriff is anything like ours... Put another log on the fire, it's gonna be a while. Mine was 3 months.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Mailed mine off today also!----Texas its as long as two months,maybe sooner.In texas you are judged by the Texas Dept. of public saftey (Hiway patrol) I know the sheriff well,he just lives a few houses away but has nothing to do with it here.To the DPS in Austin then to the FBI ,then wait and see? Good luck to the rest of you guys. :)
John Quillin

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 am

If I'd jumped on this thing last year, I don't think the wait would have been more than a couple of weeks to a month. Now, with the direction our country is heading and ever since the election, things are taking longer.

And, there's a lot of empty slots where handguns used to be at the stores. In fact I finally decided on the next one to get and I can't find it. Anywhere. I can't even find the second one I had decided on!
One stick, one string. What more does a guy need? Oh yeah, and something that makes LOTS of smoke when you pull the trigger!

trapperDave
5X5 Bull

Post by trapperDave » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:19 am

the one and only reason I never got one,,,I figure when the day comes they outlaw guns,they'll be knockin on your door first.

I dont/wont even buy new anymore. Gooberment doesnt need to know what I own!
Join us on my Facebook group...
Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping

Many Hats
4X4 Bull

Post by Many Hats » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:31 am

I'm waiting to. My Brother and I
turned them in at the same time, the board
met on the 7th of April, and he had his on the 8th.
I checked, and mine won't go before the board until
May 7th, even though I had it in two weeks before they met
in April. We are in differn't countys, and as usual, my county
is draging it's feet. Nothing to do but wait. :cry:

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Trapper Dave I know what your talking about! I thought long and hard about it before I did it.I figured they already know I have stuff because when you buy one you fill out the forms,and they take your prints now for your drivers lic. so what the heck! I have to look at corn fields all day in the summer with cougers,wild boar,and bear in them and have had some close calls.I carry my shootin irons all day long there and in my truck to and from the fields so I thought I may as well be legal doing it? If they want you, they will get you anyway!!!! This could be an interesting thread----- What do the rest of you guys think?????? :shock:
John Quillin

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:09 am

Trapper Dave, that's the reason I dragged my feet on this for so long. I first took the course almost 5 years ago. Then I got to thinking like Double Tee and decided to go for it anyway.

Living up here, I never worry about carrying. It's only when I go below the bridge that I get concerned. I'm not saying we don't have crime, cause we do. It's just not on the same scale as in the more populated areas.

One quick story. Several years ago I took a .22 BP revolver into the Sheriff's office for registration. I was telling the Sheriff about a .44 BP revolver kit I have that most likely came out of the late 60's or early 70's. It does not have one mark anywhere on it that would be a serial number.

I asked him; "When I get this revolver done, how do I register it?"

His answer; "What gun? Listen, I have a lot of guns they don't know about".

I answered; "Ok".

I don't know who the they are, since I thought he was a they, but, apparently not. I'm not setting out to break any laws, I just thought his statement was interesting.

I've never started the kit yet. I also have a .36 Duckfoot kit to do. No numbers on it either.

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:18 am

Greywolfy; You have to take your guns to the sheiff and register them, even if they are BP???? !!!!!!!!
John Quillin

Many Hats
4X4 Bull

Post by Many Hats » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 am

Double Tee,

Greywolfy said "several years ago" , and back then you did
have to register BP handguns. Now they changed the law back,
about a year ago, and they don't have to be registered now.

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Double Tee wrote:Greywolfy; You have to take your guns to the sheiff and register them, even if they are BP???? !!!!!!!!
Like Many Hats said, that's the way it used to be. Just handguns. Not rifles or shotguns. I'm not sure why they changed the law to exclude BP, but it's got me thinking. Have the records of the BP pistols and revolvers I own been destroyed? Hhmmmm.......wonder if I should ask......

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:34 pm

OK, I see now what the deal was,I only have rifles,I have wanted a BP pistol for a long time but couldn't decide which one to get, should have gotten a Ruger when I had the chance don't ya know! Cabelas has some nice looking stainless Remington copys ? I don't think you even have to go through a FFL to get one? The way things are going maybe we should stock up on arrows----- If they let us keep those LOL. :lol: !!!!
John Quillin

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Double Tee wrote:OK, I see now what the deal was,I only have rifles,I have wanted a BP pistol for a long time but couldn't decide which one to get, should have gotten a Ruger when I had the chance don't ya know! Cabelas has some nice looking stainless Remington copys ? I don't think you even have to go through a FFL to get one? The way things are going maybe we should stock up on arrows----- If they let us keep those LOL. :lol: !!!!
Double Tee-
I've got a .44 Remington clone that's a hoot to shoot. In fact it's the revolver I used for my CCW class. The Sherriff LIKED it! :D I had a chance to buy a Ruger .44 and I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not buying it! No matter what you buy, it's just like your rifles. After an afternoon of makin' smoke, you gotta break that sucker down and completely clean it

One quick story. This is that .22 I made reference to http://www.naaminis.com/short.html. I took the side plate off and springs when flyin'! I tried for a couple of hours to get it back together. Finally I packed it up and sent it back to NAA with a promise that if they'd fix it, I'd never take it apart again. And I haven't!

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Yea Greywolfy I know what you went thru! Iv'e been there and done that! I got it back togather by myself after much thinking and trying,didn't have the guts to admit I was stupid and took it apart.After that I found a how to before I did it again---LOL :lol: With the net now you can find out a lot of how too's and how not too's. I went to my gun/bow shop today and forgot to ask them if they might have a Ruger .44 laying around in the back,its that kind of place! If ya don't see it ask, and some times ---- ya might recieve? I'll check it out next time!
John Quillin

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:29 pm

John-
I've got a shop up here like yours. Only it's not only if you ask, but who you ask! This place deals mostly in used firearms. Several years ago I went in and asked the fellow what he had for BP handguns. He show's me one. I went back a week later and asked another guy the same question, and he shows me a dozen!!

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:05 pm

Wolfy, This place is over in New Mex. Its a mom and pop store that I have gone to for 30+ yrs. I am one of the few that can walk in and go behind the counters and dig for goodies! Most folks are amazed at how much is in the store.And in the back rooms there are safes full of stuff that you have to ask if they have.I found a saddle for the horses that fit the grandkids last X-mas.Got a Martin Savannah this X-mas from them. I have never seen so many knives of differant brands in one place! If they don't have it they will get it for you.Anyway you get the drift,its a cool place.I will have to ask about a Ruger Old Army and see if they may have one around some where.Budget won't allow any new stuff but they let me charge stuff and pay it off! This can be good and bad at times! guess which one the wife thinks :lol: I can't believe they let you do the shooting test with a BP pistol! In Tex. if you test with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver, if you test with a semi-auto you can carry what you want.We had to shoot 50 rounds at a law enforcement target. Load 5 in the mag. shoot one shot or 2 or three or five whichever the command was in however many seconds they said from differant distances out to I think 15 yds.All for center mass.After each volley everone would reload 2 mags. with 5 rounds and do again etc, Anyway, as we say in Tex. "HEY,Watch for snakes!" Later ,John.
John Quillin

pappy177
4X4 Bull

Post by pappy177 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:12 pm

One quick story. This is that .22 I made reference to http://www.naaminis.com/short.html. I took the side plate off and springs when flyin'! I tried for a couple of hours to get it back together. Finally I packed it up and sent it back to NAA with a promise that if they'd fix it, I'd never take it apart again. And I haven't!
My 58 SS remey has the same safety notches.

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Double-
That sounds like a store I'd love to spend some time in! I'd probably want to spend some money though! For the CCW, in Michigan, it's 'shoot what ya brung'. And they don't differentiate between types of handguns. If I remember right, I shot 24 rounds. The great thing was, the Sheriff would tell each one how to hold each type of handgun that people brought, to help them improve. And none of this stupid holding it sideways crap.

Pappy-
Is that a New Army model?

pappy177
4X4 Bull

Post by pappy177 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:24 pm

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ite=netcon

Yes thats one of mine and shoots very nice.

Dutchman
Spike Bull

Post by Dutchman » Wed May 06, 2009 2:33 pm

I'd be interested to learn how long your wait is following fingerprinting. In my county in Georgia, I had my permit in 15 days. That's not too bad for around here. :D

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Thu May 07, 2009 10:10 pm

I'll let you know when I get the notice. It used to take less than 30 days. BTW, WOW, ammo is getting scarce! :shock:

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Right now its hard to tell in Tex. I have read on other sites that it may be as much as 4 mon. with the backlog and all!!! I got the registered mail slip back that they got my stuff. For now thats all I know? Wait and see I guess. I'm so busy right now,I work from 7 till dark 7 days a week till into Oct. now,hard to shoot my bow or do anything for myself so I guess when it comes in the mail I'll be suprised,I haven't thought about anything but work for awhile so I haven't sat around and worried about it at least.When I need to carry my guns for critters I'll do what I have done for the last 30+ years and just take it with me like allways! Oh yea,check out what Montana has just passed as far as laws on fire arms,pretty cool! Hey!--Ya'll watch for snakes! (All kinds)
John Quillin

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Fri May 08, 2009 12:00 am

Dad Gummit,went to my gun store today to make a payment on stuff I have gotten and plum forgot to ask about the Ruger Old Army!! Guess I can call? Does anybody know how much one is going for now if you can find one?
John Quillin

Backwoods
4X4 Bull

Post by Backwoods » Fri May 08, 2009 7:14 am

Double Tee wrote:Right now its hard to tell in Tex. I have read on other sites that it may be as much as 4 mon.
In Texas; Once you submit your package, there is usually a 4 week wait to receive your PIN number which is used to track your package online. Customer support tells me it's running 6 weeks. Once they assign your PIN, they start processing your application. Used to take no more than 60 days. It's probably running closer to 90 now. :shock:
Fortunately I have a couple months of saving before my gun fund is in a position to purchase a CCW, so the window shopping is keeping my mind off of the wait. :roll:
64" Red Fox Longbow
53# @ 28"

.54 Cal. Lyman Trade rifle.

xring
4X4 Bull

Post by xring » Fri May 08, 2009 10:15 pm

When I took the course for my Oklahoma permit the instructor said it will take 3 months no matter what. I sent mine in and it was three months to the day when I received it.
Black Widow PSA III 57@28
Black Widow PSA X 52@28
Groves Spitfire Mag III 48@28
Toelke Whip 52@28
Deutsch Drahthaar

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 pm

Double Tee-
Here's one for $450
http://www.thegunnetwork.com/prgs/gbc_c ... ?itemid=81

BTW, wonder why it's such a different time span for different states?

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Fri May 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Here's another one currently at $330
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=9116731

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Sat May 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks guys! I'll have to check with the boss lady and see what I can do?
John Quillin

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Sun May 10, 2009 4:33 pm

You mean I'm not the only guy in the world that has to ask the boss!? :o :shock: :o :shock: