outa state killin

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
Hutch
4X4 Bull

outa state killin

Post by Hutch » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 am

how many of yall,that'r still here, go out to other killin grounds??

I've wanted to go to colo. and hunt elk archery OTC for an eternity.
WEEEELLLLLLLLL...... I've put it off and put it off, now here I am turned 46 years this year and im thinkin, crap! I better get my butt in gear if this is gonna be anything more than just a daydream.
SOOOooo.....I've got a 2 year plan I'm workin on. Gonna take a while to get gear built back up, get a good solid work out regimine going, that's one of them two fold things for me, been needing to increase my activity level for a while now.
Been doing a lot of research also. various states, animals. And basically trying to get a sence of what my annual budget is going to need to be....A lot more than I'm makin at the moment, lol.
In fact, Last night I caught a clip of Fred Bear stalking his kodiak brown bear. Thats another critter Ive always dreamed of perforatin.....So anyhow, I get on the Alaska huntin page, looked up the basic info. I was actually shocked that its not more expensive than it is, Now mind you ya gotta have a liscensed guide to kill a brownie....lol, geuss it aint good for tourism when nonres hunters get eat...
So there's the extra cost there. But over all it aint that bad as far as cost goes. But what really got me was when I looked up 2019 draw results. They dont give out many bear tags to start with, but the number of nonres tags that werent even applied for period!!

SO! I'm thinkin to myself, cracker, this is doable!!

Just thought i'd share

Hutch

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Re: outa state killin

Post by WinterHawk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:47 pm

As an ex-Alaskan, I would suggest to look at going for a black bear. Maybe not quite the thrill of shooting a brownie but you don't need a guide; you can put together a DYI hunt on Prince of Wales Island and only pay the out-of-state tags for a bear and deer if you want one. Spring bear you have to salvage the meat. In the Fall you don't because it will taste fishy from their fattening up on dead salmon in the streams. I've seen some impressively large bears there. Camping out would make it very doable.

~WH~
~WH~

Hutch
4X4 Bull

Post by Hutch » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 am

I agree, totally. Thats why I've working out out a plan...long term goals, short and mid term. there arent really any definitive time frames because those can be a fluid kinda thing. there more like windows of opportunity. the 2 year portion is going to be made up of getting into mountain shape, acquisition of gear, e scouting various locations, basically all round preparation.
The Brownie dream, definitely more of a mid-long term to long term goal. Bears period have always been a dream hunt of mine. in recent years blackies have gained there own season here in oklahoma, infact, this last year the county I hunt predominantly has been added to list of open counties to archery hunt Black bear.....Yeah Me!!!!!

So yes, I am looking at other critters and areas to add to my plans for the future, besides I've got consider taking my boys with me vs. solo on various hunts. their age and ability to stay with a particular hunt, plus just loving having them in the woods with me plays a huge part in these plans and what determines a short, mid, or long term plan.
Greatly appreciate the input.
Hope to pick your brain later concerning AK.
Thanks

Hutch

WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Post by WinterHawk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:28 pm

You can also get your deer tag & go after the little blacktail deer. Just remember, a forked horn may be 4 years old. Not all of them carry large racks at an "advanced" age! Bring rain gear and good rubber boots, knee highs are best, and Xtratuffs are what the locals all wear.

~WH~
~WH~

Pietro
Spike Bull

Post by Pietro » Sun May 31, 2020 9:30 am

Here in Southern New England, we take local deer and also take an annual week's vacation (going on 50 years now) in Northern New England (Maine, mostly) for larger deer & Black Bear (which makes great sausages).

While small game is mostly a one or two-person hunt, for larger game we have long had a hunting party of 6-8 guys (and an occasional daughter) for hunting out of state, who share expenses, quarters (camp), meals, and entertainment (going into town, etc), besides hunting areas set-ups.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:25 pm

We have a few members from all over on here, post your desire on here and maybe, just maybe someone will have some great suggestions to help ya out.

Aloha Nui Loa
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii