what did you do today - 2019

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.

what did you do today - 2019

Postby hawkthrower » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:32 pm

well I guess I'll open it up for 2019 - :campfire: - so far 40 inches of snow! The most we've had on the ground all at once in years...
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: what did you do today - 2019

Postby Aeronut » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 am

40 inches? Hope that helps your drought conditions a little. It snowed once here back in November about 2". The last two days have been in the 60-65* range. Real January weather here.

I've been a little busy around here. I finally decided it was time to retire my old Stihl 026. I bought it 26 years ago and it has seen a ton of use and abuse. A few years back it got a piece of carbon caught in its throat and seized up rock solid. I bought a new piston and cylinder for it and got it going again. It has also had several impulse tube and fuel line replacements along with a couple of new carburetors as a result of the crappy alcohol fuel we have now. The impulse tubes have been really hard to find for it.

Started a new bow. I'm going to use Curly Tiger Maple for the laminations with a Hickory core. I decided a black core would be good for contrast so I dyed the Hickory laminations with black leather dye. It looks like they saturated all the way through and I'm going to let them dry for at least a week before proceeding to the gluing stage. I'm trying to video the steps because this one may be a donation for a fund raiser.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Haven't done much so far this year. Replaced a bunch of 1" blinds with 2" around the house until I ran out. Lots of fiddling around to begin with, but by the time I was on number 4 it went easier; strange how that works out! I hope to get out in the woods tomorrow.

Today was the last of a four day M/L deer season. I just didn't want to be out there with who knows what packing a gun. Fish & Game made it buck only after December 1 on public land, although on private property you can still get does. The rationale was that the deer numbers are way down. So why not close doe hunting on private also? :shock:

I was told that this was agreed to by a survey of hunters, but no one I know of was asked about it. Oh well, I haven't seriously hunted since I retired. Mostly I wander through the woods with the dogs so if I see a deer it's the South end of a North-bound critter! :eek:

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Spent most of the afternoon prepping blanks to make some deer grunt calls. These will be donated to the Oklahoma Selfbow Society for their raffle and auction at next month's banquet. The raffle and auction are fund raisers for the selfbow jamboree in March.

I've got two Zebrawood, one Red Oak, and one White Oak plus some chrome bands I made yesterday.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 pm

A week of warm melted a lot of the 40+ inches of snow... but we still had about half of it when the latest storm started up... added another 8 inches at least,so far. Still snowing and will till morning. None to sure what it will look like when we get up in the morning.

Aeronut I truly admire your calls. Fantastic work!

WH I tried to get a January tag for my neighborhood... There's a buck here tearing up all the saplings and he nearly destroyed my wife's weeping cherry tree, and he has wiped out the almond trees!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:37 pm

Finished the lathe work on the deer calls a little while ago. Now they need a finish coat (or three) sprayed on.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to TradRag Den - General Discussion