What did you do today? - 2018

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.

Re: What did you do today? - 2018

Postby Aeronut » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Congrats on the tag drawings. I was set to go on a Colorado horseback hunt with a friend about 20 years ago. Plans fell completely through about a month before leaving when he went through a divorce.

I've been wanting a workshop where I could have all my woodworking tools in one spot. Right now some re in the basement, some in the machine shed, and some more in a storage shed. Getting tired of hiking back and forth to do things.

Two weeks ago I decided to buy a custom built 12X20 building from a local manufacturer. They delivered it today.

Now I will run the electric line to it and finish the inside. I am going to put everything I can on mobile bases so I can keep stuff against the walls.
After letting it settle in I plan on adding an 8X20 porch on it.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Pretty nifty! I'm planning on building a new shed here, although it will probably be 8' x 8', just enough to store the lawnmower, snow blower and bicycles. Then I can tear down the old eye-sore shed which is sinking into the ground. I also need to get off my duff and rebuild the fence around the back yard; it's looking pretty ugly anymore....
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 pm

I learned today that the local red wasps must love the smell of new OSB wood. I fixed the screens on the windows and loaded up a spray bottle with a solution of dish soap and water. Killed about two dozen of the little firetails.
After that I started running wire for the outlets and lights. 42 years now as a journeyman electrician and I never really liked house wiring. I still don't. I would much rather be doing industrial controls and the substation work I retired from.
Also just finished making a seat for a shave horse that I built. I made it from the American Woodworker plans.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/amer ... ving-horse
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm

I took the Technician Class ham radio test this evening. I only missed one question because I misread it and it was a very easy question to boot.

Also got about 95% of the wiring done on my new wood shop. I pick up the wall insulation tomorrow. Didn't realize fiberglass was priced at near the same level as ground up pearls. :shock:
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Still working on Ham license didn't take the class A test 40 years ago when Morse code was something that was required because I couldn't translate it fast enough - got 100% on the practice tests for technician and extra - passed the digital practice stuff too... Now just need to go sit the exam!
If I take it maybe I'll see if we can talk via magic box!

Areonut - Hope that shop building is big enough! I keep saying I will bring in one to house a print shop - fyi- my original apprenticeship, part of my college education, Professional Mastery, and family tradition is intaglio printmaking....... (won my first exhibition prize as a printmaker at age 7) - so engraving and other stuff in metal, and the whole process is my thing...... it's just poisonous! and nasty! So like my Mom I got sick.....And had to do other things...... I just know, no matter how big the shop, you seem to out grow it

We had the strongest winds here in over a year last week!! I lost half the roof from my hen house! 75Mph gusts !!
I got the replacement roofing last weekend and have half of it done - but the weather is predicting another red flag warning tonight and tomorrow -------- hope things settle down, just a bit, so I can finish it!

Cheers!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:58 am

All but three of my machines will have mobile bases so I can move them. That may change to just one without wheels later. After it settles in I am going to put an 8' wide porch on it so I can use the shave horse there.

I tried hard to learn Morse code when I was in boy scouts. I just could not keep up with it. I did learn semaphore but it was useless because I never found anyone else who could do it. I think I still have the flags somewhere but time has erased the know-how.

We have had some high winds here recently with gusts in the 60's. It just wears you out trying to move around outside or drive in it. A few years ago we had sustained 80 mph winds. I didn't have any damage but a couple of buildings were torn up west of me.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Here's the aftermath of the 80 mph winds we had. Once the doors finally pushed in the whole building blew apart.
The building across the highway is the township fire department. They had to replace it because of structural damage to the steel framework.

https://youtu.be/XSN0J1axBcY
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Mon May 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Got my HAN license today. KE0RNU.

Spent the last week at Twin Oaks. Decided to finally go to the Tennessee Classic. Got there3 on Tuesday afternoon. By Wednesday afternoon it was full. By Thursday afternoon it was fuller! Parking/camping space was crammed full.
Saw some friends from OJAM and helped them set up their vendor booths which was a pretty good deal. Gave me a place to sit while it rained....Rained hard.......ALL day Saturday. I've got video of the die hards that were on the practice range. It was neat to watch the water spray off the fletching when they shot. Sunday was finally a good day with sunshine so we could dry out some stuff.

Sitting in my camper now at Pigeon Forge. Decided to spend this week snooping around the Smokies. I was out here 25 years ago and it will be fun to see what has changed.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sat May 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Aeronut wrote:Got my HAM license today. KE0RNU.

Good for you! I had a Technician license back in the '60s, but then lost interest. Especially since I was living in a small cabin without electricity or running water. Hard to power a HAM set without being hooked to the grid! I've been thinking of studying up and getting licensed again, but what for? Great that you got yours, though. Congratulations are in order!

-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 pm

Rains are finally here..... Monsoons every afternoon but still not enough to break the drought.

The muelys have been mowing my lawn and trimming everything else!
IMG_1180.JPG
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Previous

Return to TradRag Den - General Discussion