What did you do today? - 2018

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.

Re: What did you do today? - 2018

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 pm

And now they're gone! What happened, did you delete your last post?

When you're at Ojam, be sure to talk up that us older gents need to see more traffic on here rather than the dreaded Facebook! Something to liven this up!

-WH-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:24 pm

This is a piece of Red Oak I saved out of the firewood pile. I cut it into blanks, sealed the ends, and put them in my hotbox a couple of weeks ago. They started out at 26% moisture content and have gone down to 6% or lower the past few days.
Wind is howling today so I grabbed one and headed for the lathe. Double reed duck call with first coat of glaze sprayed on.

Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Ceiling-1.jpg
Ceiling-1.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
We had a bathtub overflow problem on Friday. I didn't get any photos of the water pouring into the living room downstairs, I was too busy mopping up and moving buckets. I called insurance today and they sent a remediation team immediately, so now we have several huge humidifiers and a bunch of fans both downstairs and upstairs. The noise is deafening. The cats are "freaked out" and the wife wants to move into a hotel room. It isn't bad when the bedroom door is closed so we have all three dogs and three of the cats in here with us. The other two cats are in the spare bedroom with their own litter box, food and water.
Attachments
Ceiling-2.jpg
Ceiling-2.jpg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Ceiling-3.jpg
Ceiling-3.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 am

Yeah, I deleted the post. I forget that when you upload to imgur you have to specify what size to upload. I didn't specify the size and they were huge. I reloaded them so they didn't take up three pages of space.'
'
Man, that sucks. At least the bathtub didn't fall through the ceiling. Hope the damage isn't major.

I've hollered at them about using facebook all the time and have to remind them about Zuckerbiurg's anti stance toward a lot of sportsman activities and his millionaire push for open borders and universal income. I would bet he won't sacrifice his millions to have a universal income.

I'll post pictures of OJAM on here.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Great that you talk to "them" about using FB. Wish they would get the message, though! You do what you have to do.

The house was over 100 years old when we bought it, and that was almost 12 years ago. Those oak beams and joists have only gotten stronger with time; the bathtub wasn't going anywhere! The original lath & plaster ceiling had been changed to lath and sheetrock, the sheetrock took the big hit. The remediation folks found moisture under the linoleum in the bathroom so that was partly ripped up and there are fans and a dehumidifier there also. Everything is drying out well. They took moisture readings again today and said it was at 20% & needs to be down to 12%, which they think it will be tomorrow. I sure hope so!

I did get the wife out for a couple of hours so she could be away from the noise. With her back problems & pain issues she can't sit for very long but it all went well. Went to a craft store and glassware outlet in Logan; didn't buy anything but she had a good time.

Take care!
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:38 pm

I can understand the back pain. I attended a storm spotter class tonight and the speaker was walking around the room instead of standing up front. Between turning to hear him and then back to see the projector screen has my back and neck flared up. It was a pretty good seminar and I got some good info on what to watch for since I live smack dab in tornado alley here in SE Ks.

My back used to be so bad I could not walk straight. I was having a lot of trouble one day about 20 years ago and called my wife and told her to find me a doctor. She got a recommendation and got me an appointment that day with an osteopath. I really wish I had found him 20 years before that.

I hope your wife's back gets better and the pain eases up soon. And glad to hear the water problem is getting fixed.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:19 am

WH that looks to be quite a mess! Hope they get it dry and fixed back up better than new soon!
Aeronut that sounds like a very interesting class! Though I don't think living in tornado alley is any too much fun......

Oh!
That second photo is of Spieden Island (AKA Safari Island) the "Hunting Reserve" a privately owned island - those are Mouflon sheep from Corsica, Fallow deer from Europe, and Sika deer from Asia grazing above the rocky cliff.... I was told that the island is presently owned by the man that founded Oakley sunglasses...

We just got back home after our first Mom-n-Dad getaway in a long time. :applaud:
wanted to stay a while longer ........Now it's back to chores and that dread four letter word

WORK :|
Last edited by hawkthrower on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:36 am

Hawk, I just turned 62 and lived here all my life. Believe it or not, I have never seen a tornado.
I've seen and cleaned up the aftermath.

My cousin lived six miles north of me and they had a tornado pass right by their house. It just wrinkled the shingles on the house a bit but tore up their out buildings. They had an old wooden barn about 150' from the house and the hay loft was full of square bales. All that was left was the foundation and one bale laying in the middle. That one bale of hay looked like it had never been touched.
Their big machine shed got messed up but not blown away. The amazing thing was seeing 10" I-beams twisted past 90*. :shock:
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:43 am

Yup I know I've seen the aftermath myself several times as a kid. We had tornadoes rip up the country side and tear through parts of town.. I remember spending afternoons and summer nights tucked in the basement shelter waiting for the storms to pass.Hearing the roar and feeling the odd pressure changes as the worst of the storms passed. Weird seeing one side of the street flattened and the other side as though nothing had happened except a few tree limbs were down...
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 am

One thing I'll never forget is the sound of the freight train that flew over town at 4am. By the time we realized what it was it was gone. And then the hail fell. LOTS of it.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Had a beautiful day here in the mid 60's. Did some more work on my little camper project and my daughter is coming over tomorrow to help putting in the window. I was able to put on both doors by myself and about six or eight squeeze clamps to hold the frames.

Burned a little trash a while ago and noticed my brown yard is getting patches of green stuff in it. Not going to be long before I have to fire up the lawnmower.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm

The fans and such were removed on Friday. It's super quiet now, comparatively. Got one bid for fixing the ceiling and replacing the bathroom linoleum. Had another contractor over today and he said he will email an estimate to me. That was supposed to happen today but I haven't seen it yet....

Of course all the furniture from the living room is in the dining room until the repairs are done. I'll call State Farm tomorrow and see what the next step is going to be. The remediation guys took photos and the insurance lady told me last week that she can probably work up what they will pay from that and not send an adjuster out; we'll see.

Carol's got fibromyalgia, severe curvature of the spine and osteoarthritis. She's worked with a pain doctor for many years now, has tried everything imaginable. Has another procedure coming up next month so we'll see how that all works out.

I was out in the back yard this afternoon flinging arrows. I didn't do as well as I would like, but I'm doing a lot better than I used to. Improvement is nice! :dance:

-WH-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm

I've had pretty quick service with State Farm on the auto side. Hopefully their home insurance side is quick too.

Tell Carol she is in my prayers and I hope the next procedure can give her some relief.

I need to go out and shoot some arrows. Haven't done any shooting for quite a while.
Been busy with my mini camper project. I'm going to be traveling solo to some of the 3D shoots and events since I'm retired and wanted something small and light that I can tow with my Bravada. In Kansas if the trailer gross weight is below 2000# you don't have to register it.

I made this from a Harbor Freight trailer that has a gross weight of 1980#'s. Took it to the local CO-OP and had it weighed a little while ago. I guessed way over what it actually weighs.

Started with this

1-1/2 sheets of 3/4" plywood
Eight sheets of 1/4" plywood
About a dozen 2x4's
Three sheets of 1-1/2" foil backed foam insulation
Lots of glue and some bondo
And a lot of bolts and screws later

This leaves me with 1100#'s of useful load.

It towed great going to town and back. It is so light it will bounce pretty good so I need to load it up on my trips.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Hey, that's NICE! What does the inside look like? I assume a bunk of some kind, and cooking/food storage facilities. Do you have a plan view drawing? I imagine it would tow nicely at 880 lbs!

Thank you for the prayers. We have learned to live with the problems to a certain extent but are always looking for something to ease them. There was a blurp in Readers' Digest this month that green light is supposed to help relieve some pain. Carol looked it up on line and found where it has been tested in rats and people. The later got up to 50% relief after sitting under intense green light 2-3 hours a day for 10 weeks. We have green LEDs in a spare room now and she is trying it. It's kind of weird - your eyes get used to the green light and then when you come out of the room everything looks red!

Enjoy that trailer, it's sure a cutey!

-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Green light?? That is odd but if it works, great. I wonder if the Kelvin rating for incandescent verses LED would have anything to do with it.

I didn't draw up any plans for this. I looked at a lot of homemade trailers and didn't really want a teardrop style. I wanted one with a flat top so I can add a rack to carry my canoe or bicycle So I just engineered as I built. I got the doors, window, and vent through Ebay. The front storage door is actually a door from the front of a 5th wheel storage compartment.

Here are pictures of the storage area. It measures roughly 23"w X 45"D. I built a compartment in the front of it to store my two 100w solar panels. The narrow board on top has two spring hinges that hold it down over the plywood panel to hold it in place. The panels are separated by a 3/4" thick piece of foam to protect the surfaces.

I'll take some pictures of the sleeping compartment tomorrow. I don't have any with the window trim and 1/4 round molding. That area is six feet long. That is good enough for me to stretch out without hitting the walls and I'm just going to use an air mattress in it. I added a shelf in the back for stuff and a small shelf above the window for my glasses and cell phone.

I have a 200w DC charge controller in it to keep the battery up and have DC outlets at the front and back of the sleeping compartment to charge cell phones and what-not. Lighting is 12v LED lights with two in the sleeper and one in the storage compartment. I also put in a couple of 120AC receptacles to use if I stay at a campground with electricity and I have a small 3 amp charger for the battery.

A before picture of the sleeper.

I needed four curved pieces of 1/4" plywood. I've bent a lot of wood using very hot water or steam but there really wasn't a way for me to steam a sheet of plywood. I made a form from scrounged 3/4" plywood (old concrete forms), measured where I needed the bend to start, clamped it down, and wet it down considerably. Then I started easing it into shape. If you hear a 'tick' back off a little and add more water. A heat gun helped on the spots that didn't really want to cooperate. Warmer weather would have helped me. It was about 40-45*. Just take it slow and easy.

I may do a build-along and post the pictures of the project.
It took some time but was fun. A lot of the "OK, how can I make this work" was solved by wandering around Ace Hardware and Home Depot conjuring up ideas on problem solving in an easy and relatively cheap way.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Here's some shots of the inside. Pretty basic. I'll use an air mattress for sleeping. I can set up a 10X10 pop-up shelter over it and have almost 6' of covered area in front for sitting, cooking, what have you.

I need to figure out how to curve a piece of 1/4 round molding to finish the back.
The white ceiling is a plastic/vinyl bathtub wall panel.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Warm and windy today. Went out and changed cards in my trail cameras and looked for shed antlers. Didn't find any antlers but brought home some deadfall branches to make calls out of.

Pretty good windstorm to break this off.

Some woods art
I don't know enough about fungi to trust eating any except Morels.
Camera didn't focus very good. There were three of these on that tree.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:54 am

That little trailer is great. :applaud: I have looked at those Harbor Freight trailers after my Tractor Supply one was stolen. Is that the folding model? I don't think they sell one anymore which doesn't fold, though.

I've seen those fungi quite a lot. Here in Ohio I believe I see them most on oaks; up in Fairbanks they were found on birches. People would take them (up in Alaska) and paint pictures on them to sell to the tourists. I don't think they are edible although I have heard of people trying to smoke them...

All is well here. The contractor starts on Monday with fixing the water damage. We had planned on changing the linoleum in the bathroom anyway, though I think I could have done it for less than our $1000 deductible! I need to take Carol to Lowe's to choose what pattern she wants.

Backyard shooting has been getting better, although the consistency is still not there. I can let 6 arrows fly from 20 yards and put them all inside of 4 inches, retrieve the arrows and get a two foot group from the same spot! :shock: Or, I get a good group with five arrows and a flyer way out in left field. I am getting better, and I know at the release when the arrow is going to fly right.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :campfire:
-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:48 am

This is the folding trailer. They sell two different models, one rated at 1720#'s and the other is 1980#'s. I bought the latter and left off the folding hardware and added four bolts in the center to make the frame more solid.

Good to hear you will start getting your house back to normal tomorrow.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Put the finishing touches on a Spalted Hackberry grunt tube this morning.

I also baked some more Spalted Hackberry that I put in the vacuum tank yesterday. I leave them in the Cactus Juice overnight at 28" of vacuum.
Fresh from the toaster oven.

This is what I start with. I pick up deadfall in the woods that is around 1 1/2" in diameter that I can easily de-bark. After a stint in the hot box to get the moisture content down to 6% or below I put them in the Cactus Juice.

Some go in the dye.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Just took the two dyed blanks out of the toaster oven.

Haven't decided what call(s) to make from them yet.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm really begining to have a want for one of those calls Aeronut! they are looking really nice!! :applaud:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:29 pm

He does make some nice calls, doesn't he?

The house is starting to look better. The contractor has finished the repairs, but while she was getting ready to do the floor in the bathroom and landing we decided to go ahead and do the rest of the house. It's in a vinyl board with a "rustic hickory" pattern from Lowe's. We have two bedrooms (and the bathroom & landing) done upstairs. The third bedroom will get done on Monday, then we have to schedule when they can do the living and dining rooms downstairs. It looks like real wood, but is waterproof unlike the standard floating floors. Has a lifetime warranty, but what does that mean - is it for MY life time, or the lifetime of the flooring itself?

I'll post some pics when it's all done.

In the meantime, I've been out in the back yard when the weather is dry, flinging arrows. I still can't hit anything worth a darn with the little recurve while doing a whole lot better with the Bear Montana. I'm about ready to give up on the old one and stick with the longbow!

Now I have to clean out bedroom 3 so they can lay flooring....
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Glad to hear your house is getting back to order.

I spent a bunch today. Bought a new battery and two new front tires for my Cub zero turn. The old battery was five years old and I jump started it every time I needed to mow last year. Time for a new one. I also picked up the tires because the fright front needed air every other day. That's an aggravation that I will end. Tire sealant didn't do any good.

Also finished up a couple of new calls. One is a buck grunt tube and the other is a doe. the doe call sounds a lot like a buck grunt, just a higher tone. it has an adjustable O-ring like the buck grunt tubes.
The buck call has a ton of spalting on it along with worm trails. No way I could have turned it without stabilizing it first.

Buck

The doe call didn't have as much spalting. All of this wood came from the same tree limb.

I'm planning on going to the Tennessee Classic in May and want to get a bunch of calls done to take there. Maybe I can sell a few and defray the cost of gas a little.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Lovely work, as always! You should be able to peddle those in a heartbeat! Only call I've used is to hold surveyor's flagging between the bases of my two thumbs, stretched up and held taut with the thumbs themselves, then blow between the. Just like you used to do with grass when you were a kid. It worked like a champ in S.E. Alaska on the Sitka Blacktail deer. There was a video at the Ketchikan Library where a guy showed making one by splitting a piece of wood and hollowing out both halves so when they were put back together you have an opening between them. Then lay a piece of flagging across one side and put the wood back together. Tie one end tight to hold the flagging, then pull it taut and tie off the other end to hold it. If it is tight enough it will give a high pitched squeal when you blow through the opening, just like with your thumbs except now it is ready when you need it.

Floor is done, both upstairs and down except now my Sweetie wants it to continue from the dining room into the kitchen. That is on the agenda for next week. We also need to get a range hood installed, may have to wait until this summer for that little project. Savings is taking a definite hit as it is! In the meantime, the trim is looking pretty shabby so I will be painting that for the next few days. Then I need to tackle the walls - home ownership is SUCH fun! :lol:

I had a slow leak in a boat trailer tire a while back. Finally had enough and bought an inner tube for it at Tractor Supply and it's been good to go ever since. Next time you might try that if the tires themselves are still in good shape. I mind that, in 1976 I bought a little Ford Courier. i was working for IBM at the time, in Fairbanks, and had to take a service call out on Fort Wainwright. Heading back to the office at 40 below one of the rear tires slipped off the bead, and I had the chance to learn how to get the spare out from under the bed, only to find that it was flat also. The rubber would get so stiff in the cold that the wheel would spin loose from the tire. The only fix was to get real latex rubber inner tubes, as the non latex tubes would freeze solid and crack also.

Oh, someone took pity on me and gave me a ride to a service station with my wheel to get it pumped up, and then back to the little truck so I could get going again.

Gotta go, dogs are complaining that it's dinner time...
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:27 pm

I bought two new tires for the front of my Cub ZTR. I yanked the old tires off yesterday and cleaned the rims then spent way too much time looking for the spare valve stems I have hidden away somewhere. Bought two new ones today on my errand run. Also Had to pick up a new set of easy-outs (broken stud removers) along with the valve stems. My other set must be hiding with the spare stems.
I've got a broken exhaust manifold bolt to remove on my '97 Wrangler so I can install a new manifold. Old one has a 4" long split in it.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Did quite a bit today. Did some more paper chasing for my pension. Hopefully that is the last of it.

I replaced the exhaust manifold on my '97 Wrangler and today was the moment of truth. Got it started and it was running really rough. One of the injectors wasn't working. Reconnected the wires and it took off running smooth. Now I have to see if my pressure washer survived the winter and give it a good bath.

Fired up the lawn mower and rode it around for a while. Not that I really wanted to though. The yard is already getting shaggy.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Still working on the house, getting everything back in shape and place. With the new flooring, the trim looks shabby so I'm repainting that. However, then the walls are looking like nothing has been done to them in 11 years (true enough; I painted the interior walls back then, now they need it again).

Had a physical the other day, need to get blood work done in a week or so. I'm staying pretty healthy, but the blood pressure has gone up over the last couple of years. The doc said it falls within the guidelines so not to worry about it. My daily walks have gotten shorter and not on a daily schedule anymore so I have to kick that up again; hopefully that will help bring the BP down. Carol has me on a low/no salt diet now. We'll see what happens.

I was in the back yard flinging arrows this afternoon when the new renter in the apartment house catty-corner behind us came out. He saw the Bear Montana and came over to talk, says "I used to shoot a bow like that, but it was probably better." Then he asks if I'm any good with it, and proceeds to tell me how he cut his own targets out of plywood and could hit a torso cutout at 35 to 40 yards. I'm just "uh-huh," "uh-huh." Then I hear about the relative who got into compound bows and "man, he can shoot!" Then he went to pick up his kids' toys before it started raining. Thankfully!
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:26 am

Eouch WH - that conversation sounds like it was almost painful!
Glad to hear the house is coming together! I've got to get the flooring for the last upstairs bedroom perhaps this summer.....

We've been busy with work and school. I am teaching and have to take a class this summer, so now the wife and I, are both "adult learners"..... Don't know if I'll learn anything but heck it can't hurt!
Still no wet here, just a few light sprinkles and blowing dust, the temp has been unseasonably warm till thurs night when I got caught by the weather. We froze hard again, it got my potted tomatoes left out on the porch, they are done......Time to start over. :|

This years hunting lottery report should be out next week. Waiting to see if I'm going to get tags for this fall, where, with what weapon, and what animal(s)...

With all the other activities going on here - kids,dogs,farm animals,etc. I haven't taken time for much backyard practice. Perhaps in the next week or two.
The new boss at work did say that an archery range sounded like a great idea...Who knows maybe I can get in some practice at lunch!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Lottery done! one choice Bowhunt Elk tag, AND one choice Muzzleloader Deer tag!!!! 20 days of hunting depending on the weather! :applaud: planning, practice and rcon here we go!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

PreviousNext

Return to TradRag Den - General Discussion