What did you do today? - 2018

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.

What did you do today? - 2018

Postby hawkthrower » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:25 am

Since I don't see the topic yet I thought I'd go ahead and add it - and get the general happenings for this year started.

Hope everyone is well and the holidays were fulfilling and that we are all ready for this new year!

So far it has not been too fantastic out here on the side of our mountain, the family and friends are doing well as we start this new year, but not the weather. The prospects for good forage and good hunting are not looking good. We've been over 100 days without a measurable amount of precipitation then we had fog and one morning of snow/rain/whatever, but not enough to really call it wet. The winter wheat fields farther down in the basin are dry and brown and the mountain tops are not covered as they should be in snow. The ski areas are closed or running on man-made snow. It is looking like I will have to cut back the brush and lower branches from the juniper forest on my property in an attempt to avoid the worst of the inevitable wildfire. The grasses from last summer's rains are still standing knee high and everything is more than bone dry!

Here's to hopes for that "major winter storm" and several more in succession to bring the snowpack back to at least some semblance of normal! Even 10% of normal would help at this point!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: What did you do today? - 2018

Postby WinterHawk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 pm

That sounds bad! Dry as a bone, you had better get fire breaks cut away from the house. Like you said, the inevitable wildfire. Don't want to have the house go up in flames. :campfire:

We're doing pretty good here in SE Ohio. Had a good snow (for this area) a week ago, I enough that I could use the snowblower until it threw the drive belt. It was cold, down in the teens so the snow stayed dry enough for the machine to handle it. I don't believe I even used it last winter, and the winter before the snow was so wet it just packed in the chute. The weather has turned warm again yesterday and today, with a 62 degree high forecast for tomorrow. With rain. I may go out in the morning to the gun club and burn some powder, or at least go in the back yard and fling some arrows. :archer2:

-WH-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hanshi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Well, I just now stepped in and can't remember what was going on on the day in question; probably nothing of any real importance. I do have a Mon, Wed and Fri itinerary and stay busy on those days. I keep Tuesday and Thursday for "recuperation" and Saturdays open for hunting and whatever. Sunday is normally a fairly busy day for me, I cook.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
hanshi
5X5 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:10 pm

What I have done the past few days.....................

Today was the first full day of retirement and it feels good. I worked for the electric company here in Kansas and really liked my job as a substation mechanic/technician and had a great bunch of guys to work with. What ran me off was our management does not promote people to supervisor positions according to merit anymore, it is a cronyism promotion. Our (ahem) leadership has absolutely no field experience, or electrical experience, or mechanical experience, of any kind. We are led by a bunch of guys who can only make pie charts and graphs (Oh! Just look at the numbers. Aren't they great??). I turn 62 in March.

Enough rant. Tuesday and Wednesday I took off and burnt my floating holidays so I have been free for three days now.

On my way home from work Monday evening I saw four Bald Eagles and got to see two of them doing their mating flight where they hook talons and tumble through the air. I have only seen that once before.

Tuesday I went to the woods to change trail camera cards and do some shed hunting. Saw lots of deer and 18 or so bucks. All were still wearing their full headgear.

Wednesday I cut some more firewood and then I went out and did some shooting trying to get the new scopes dialed in on my Grendel and .243. On my way home from cutting wood I had a big bobcat run across the road in front of me just a mile from my house. That's the second one I have seen there.

Today I worked on a mini-camper I'm building. I made a jig to bend some plywood for the end walls. A little water from a spray bottle, add some heat and a little coaxing and no problem. Three more to go.

After bending the plywood I left it to set overnight and split the firewood I cut yeaterday.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Well no weather to help wet the ground here. Just the same wispy clouds now and then.....
The family had a really bad week though. My youngest daughter has not been well and although she has been doing better and has become more active after months of changes in meds and doctors - she has had a setback of almost cosmic proportions. For the last 9 months she has been raising and training a puppy to be her companion and service dog. The puppy was scheduled for neuter at our vet and all seemed fine. Until we got the news the dog was dead.

Everyone is dumbstruck, angry, weeping, and shocked........ This is a very rare and unusual thing to have happen! We are not at all happy with our vet, and I am more than angry at the attitude expressed after the loss of a family member, baby, and special animal that was the whole world for my daughter.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Damn Hawk. So sorry to hear that.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Jeez, I hate to read that, especially about an un-compassionate vet. It happens, rarely, and he probably felt pretty defensive about it but shoot, that's no excuse. I'll hold you all up in prayer.

-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks guys - The most frustrating part is the vet was told about the sensitivities Aussies have and the genetics issues that we knew about, The vet tech blew off my daughter! as did the vet!
Then when confronted with the question about the anesthesia, quantity, and med..... she got nasty and defensive..... she used the wrong thing - caused an OD in an animal that had a known sensitivity and killed him. That simple - that sad...... The Vet's new to the practice here and but I cannot cut any slack for this - not any - the other two vets who started the practice are really good.... I have trusted thousands of dollars in horses to their care and all of our other critters for years..... Still :evil: :evil: :evil:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 pm

Took a hike yesterday with the dogs. Carried the 16 gauge because it's still bunny season, though I didn't see but one track. Wandered through the woods for a couple of hours on a loop of about 4 miles. I haven't done that for a while and I sure felt it today! Meisje, our 1/4 Staffordshire terrier, 1/4 Chow and 1/2 who knows what went along also. She has arthritis in shoulders, hips and knees but she was having a blast, running about like she was a young pup. Usually on our walks of one - two miles she starts limping but this time everything was good.

There was fresh snow on the ground and in one stretch of trail lots of turkey tracks. Also parallel lines of about 6 grooves close together and another similar around two feet away. I finally figured that they must have been a tom strutting, dragging his wing tips. Sure enough, when I looked closer there were turkey tracks between the two sets of stripes. Pretty neat. Maybe I'll go out there this spring when turkey season opens....

All in all it was a good day.

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 pm

My youngest daughter works at Academy Sports in Topeka and gave me a gift card for my retirement. I went to the local Academy today and picked up a Tipton Gun Vise. Been wanting to get one for a while and it will get some good use.
I have been thinking about getting another 10x10 pop up shelter since mine is now 12 or 13 years old and has been on numerous trips to 3d shoots when I was selling wood arrow shafts and to lots of BMX races. My daughter and I could can set it up in just a couple of minutes.
They had some Magellan pop ups that had a clearance tag on them with a price of $67. I didn't think that was too bad of a price so I grabbed one. When I checked out I told the girl I wanted to check the price because there was no regular price on any shelf. It rang up for $22.48. I asked if that was the right price and she said yes. I bought two.

Tomorrow will mark my one week of retirement. I retired a little early (I turn 62 in March) not because of the work we do or the crew I had. The reason for retirement is because of the cronyism that is rampant in management. We no longer have any supervisors in our department that have any field experience nor any electrical experience at all. I watched the same thing happen back in the eighties at the place I worked for over 18 years. It was so bad that they all but closed the doors and 500 to 600 of my fellow employees lost their jobs. I decided that 19 years at my current job was enough.

A few pictures of my retirement party. By the way, I earned every one of those gray hairs.

Most of my family, The Han Clan. If you need something fixed or something literally made from nothing, we can do it.

These are my two daughters, you can probably guess which one works at Academy........
What I am holding is a nameplate from a transformer that was removed from our grid. It was one of three that was built in July 1920 and was finally removed from service last year. I was wanting to get one of the nameplates as a souvenir because it was one we took care of. By the time I got over there they were all gone.
My nephew works as a relay technician in the same Tech-Ops department as I did. He grabbed two of the old nameplates and stuck one aside to give to me when I retired. Thanks you Jeffrey. The picture in the circle is the crew I worked with, all eight of them except my nephew who took the picture. I could not have asked for a better crew to be with. It now hangs above my desk at home to remind me of the hours we spent in the blazing heat, the freezing cold, getting saturated with transformer oil, middle of the night call outs, hours of overtime (over 400 this past year), and just everyday work in general.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 am

Congrats Aeronut! :applaud: :applaud: Enjoy!!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Congratulations! I must say I am a bit disappointed - I was expecting you to look like the young buck in your avatar! :rolf:

-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:00 pm

That avatar picture was taken in November 2005. :D I made everything I used to harvest that buck except the broadhead and now I am trying to learn how to knap.

That was a really memorable hunt for me.

About the only difference is the gray hair I have earned in the last 12 years.
Last edited by Aeronut on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Today I am resting (somewhat) and working on my mini-camper. I'll post some pictures of it when I get done.

Yesterday I went out and cut wood. The log you can see at the top of the pile is the stump of a big Red Oak about 22-24" in diameter that the wind blew over last year. I cut the logs around 22" long and then had to quarter each log with the saw so I could carry the pieces to the truck. There are 36 pieces there and each still weighed at least 30#. The tree is about 40 yards from the road.

I could fit 32 of the pieces along with the saws and accessories in the truck and still close the tonneau cover.
I fired up the log splitter when I got home and got them all split. Yeah, I was tired
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:52 am

the last two weeks have been busy! But not at the house...

Aeronut your woodcutting adventure looks like good old fashion exercise......

I've been waiting three weekends for the weather to allow me to do the tractor work. I've had to put it off every weekend. Seems every time I have time, the sky has dumped puny amounts of rain or snow. I'm not complaining, really! It would be ok if the sky opened up and just dumped wet for a week! We need it badly. It rains or snows just enough to make the mud as nasty as possible without really doing much to break our already record breaking dry spell.
The busy is the endless project at work ( arrgh.. that four letter word) now 4 months past the original completion date! but still under budget (how that happens I don't know....) We were told last week that it might be April before they are done..... No fun!! And the 12 and 14 hr days are getting to be a bit much......
On a far more bright note! My beautiful Valentine surprised me with a getaway to go kayaking with killer whales! I'll be sure to take some photos - I can't wait to get away from here for a bit - She is amazing - knows just when to get the two of us away from the daily grind to make life an adventure! :dance:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Spent the day working on my mini-camper. I got the last piece of plywood put on the front and started filling in the gaps and sealing the edges. Finish sanding tomorrow and maybe painting. Depends on what the temperature and humidity do. Otherwise I'll finish up the wiring and storage area.

It has progressed a long way from this.

I may do a build-along after it's finished.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 pm

AWESOME Aeronut! can't wait for the build-a-long!!!

I've been thinkin about building a mini-trailer more along the "teardrop" side profile for awhile now..... Just have to convince the local travel agent that sleepin in a mini-trailer is just as good as the Four Seasons (kinda a long stretch really....) but hey anything can happen! :shock:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 am

I chose this design over a teardrop because I want to put a rack on top to haul bicycles or my canoe.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:05 pm

Yesterday it was freezing rain so I hid in my basement and turned a couple of pieces of spalted Hackberry on my lathe. I dyed these last week with red Alumilite dye and stabilized them in Cactus Juice.
Today I finished assembly. Red dyed Spalted Hackberry Elk bugle.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Most impressive. It looks like that should have sent shards of wood flying all over!

Not doing much over here except cleaning and tossing, trying to get down to a lesser level of junk. I need to get in the garage and sort tools I still need & use, and donate the rest so I have room to build my canoe....
The attic at least is cleaned out although it still has camping stuff I hope to be able to use one of these years.

-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:39 am

We got yet another dribble of snow and rain turned ice...... not enough to make much mud - cleaned the horse yards a bit - but something sliced the tire on the tractor - cant repair it so ordered a tire and now I'm waiting to move a mountain of manure.
Cant spread and turn it to finish getting the garden and the rest all ready. Might be for the best anyhow for the lack-o-water. The winter wheat just didn't do anything this year......
Guess I'll start bending pipe to start rebuilding the greenhouse...... Then I'll have another project started and waiting for the materials to finish it!!!.....
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm

I wish we could send a little rain down your way Hawk. Been raining off and on for three days now. Tuesday's rain was a real gully washer. Working in the machine shed on Tuesday I couldn't even hear the radio about five feet away. I haven't seen it rain that hard here for a long time.. We got too much too fast to soak in but the last two days have been freezing rain/drizzle and now light rain.

Today I'm back in the shed. Got a new carb (ebay special) for my 35 year old Stihl. Preliminary results are good. Hope it lasts many more years. I went to a consignment auction last Friday and bought a Poulan 3816 chainsaw that looked like it hadn't even been used. Fueled it up when we got home and it started right up. I know Poulan isn't a brand for long life but I don't think I got hurt paying $25 for it.

Back to the shed and more work on the camper project.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:56 pm

I had planned on heading to the timber this morning to change the trail camera cards. The weather put a halt to that. Started off foggy and then more rain.

Headed back to the basement. I saved some pieces of red oak from the firewood pile and sawed them up for call blanks. That oak is very wet. Tested out at 26% moisture content so I sealed the ends with glue and poked them in the hot box. I cut some long pieces to try as turkey call strikers too.

After that I finished a cow elk call I turned yesterday from another piece of the white oak skid I saved.

I'll have to sit down and make some more lanyards soon.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 pm

The weather turned nice again so I did the finish sanding on my mini camper and put the first coat of paint on it. Went out and got the mail and I had a fresh box of game call guts that I ordered from a different supplier since Hut screwed up a lot of stuff on my last order with them.

Headed for the dungeon and turned this one out a little while ago. Another piece of my stabilized spalted Hackberry. This one will be a cottontail rabbit predator call. I'm anxious for the glaze to dry so I can hear what it sounds like.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Two new front tires on the way - tractor is down waiting till they arrive........Guess I get to wait till we get back from our adventure...... can't wait to get there and start to explore....... :applaud:

Weirdest weather ever yesterday! Got up about 5:30 and the temp was 15 and the wind was blustery and peaking at 25 with a grey sky..... had coffee and fed the house critters and the sun came out, the wind died and temp went up to 46...... got dressed for the weather and went out to feed the big fourleggers..... While I was out at the barn the temp dropped. I checked when I came back in, it was 26 and the snow was almost a blizzard!...... Stoked the fireplaces... needed firewood - went out about an hour later to the wood pile and the sun was out and the temp was on the rise again...No wind!?!.. put up the wood for the fireplaces, several trips later was almost breaking a sweat! I made a brunch for the two of us...... Stoked the fireplaces again and ate.....the temp had dropped again and it was pitching snow...too warm to stick except where the ground had not seen the sun yet..... This went on till about 4 then the sky cleared and we took the dogs for a short walk! Way Too cold and windy again! temp dropped to 22 before sunset. The wind was howling all night! The temp was about 12 this morning but no sign of the wacky swings from yesterday....
Geeze what a wild weather day!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:28 am

We had a big temperature drop one day when I was working construction on the Cessna plant at Independence, Ks. We had three travelers from the Phoenix area and they showed up with no coats and just wearing T-shirts. They hadn't watched the weather. Beautiful start to the day in the mid 80's and no wind. Really warm for April and the temperature fell rapidly throughout the day. When I got home the temp had dropped 63* in about 11 hours.

The Phoenix boys learned how fickle the Kansas weather is.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Rolled out of my driveway at 5:30 this morning headed for the Stillwater, Ok. area for our work day preparing for the upcoming Oklahoma Selfbow Jamboree.

Four hour drive each way but it is worth the trip to meet with friends and get things cleaned up and ready. I ran my little pole saw trimming out some more of the cedar trees for camping areas and driveway clearance. I made four big brush piles and two smaller ones in no time and Doug's tree eater made quick mulch of them. I'll get a video posted later of his machine. It's a beast.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:40 am

Spent the day cruising through the San Juan Islands - no kayaking this time of year, too cold, but the day on the water was still fantastic......
IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm

That's some pretty scenery. What's in the second picture?

Here's a video of Doug's brush muncher clearing out some of the jillion cedars.
https://youtu.be/n-XUB2E4X2w

It used to be so easy to add a picture or video but it seems like sometimes it is never ending fight.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 pm

That is really bizarre, the photos are H-U-G-E. When I right click on each one and select "view image" they opened so they could be seen. A previous post of yours put everything in one line. Pete Joy isn't able to post any pictures. Where is the confuser guru when we need one?
Nice looking call, by the way. I wish I was able to do something like that!

-WH-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Next

Return to TradRag Den - General Discussion