Game Call Build-Along

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.

Game Call Build-Along

Postby Aeronut » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm

The temperature here didn't even get up to freezing this weekend so I decided to make some game calls. What I am using is some Hackberry that I collected last week. A dead limb provided a bunch of pieces. The limb was in an advanced stage of decay and I was hoping to get some spalted blanks from it. The blanks were really punky wood that you could dig off with a thumbnail so they were submerged in stabilizing resin and into the vacuum chamber.

The pieces have been in my hotbox for a week now. The wood needs to be dry for the resin to work and these were down below 6%. My hotbox is just 1-1/2" foam insulation and a 60w light bulb.

The pieces were put in a container with a weight on top of them to keep them submerged and then covered with stabilizing resin. I use a resin called Cactus Juice. I then put them in a vacuum chamber and start drawing out the air.

The vacuum draws the air out of the wood and you need to control the rate of vacuum because the bubbles will foam up.

Once the foaming stops I close the chamber down and leave it at 28" of vacuum overnight.

The next day the pieces are wrapped in aluminum foil and put in a toaster over for about 3hrs at 220*F. Do not use your oven for this. The one in this picture I soaked in Cactus Juice and red dye. It is still cooking now.

After baking remove the aluminum foil.

And head for the lathe.

Two coats of Krylon glaze and set aside to dry. I am pleased that this one has some good spalting in the wood. This one will be a coyote howler and I'll post a finished shot tomorrow. The darker brown stripe running along the lower right is a worm trail. The Cactus Juice hardened it so it would stay in place.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Game Call Build-Along

Postby Aeronut » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 am

Finished call.

I made this one on Saturday while the Hackberry was cooking. It's a deer grunt call and it is made of White Oak that was a shipping skid for a 4500# reactor that we replaced about four months ago. I grabbed two 6"x6"x8' pieces from the skid when we broke it down. I would have taken all of it but didn't have enough room in my bucket truck.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Those are super nice! :77: Thanks for posting. :applaud:

-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby Sneakon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Nice
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon
Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 am

Hummm - Really nice work! :applaud:
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull