Snares, traps and deadfalls for varmint control?

Surviving and thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of ancient skills and knowledge to do so. What wilderness skills do you have to share?

Snares, traps and deadfalls for varmint control?

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Ok so I've posted before in another topic about the issues I have out here with a marauding coyote pack.... Here I would like to see what others are doing using bushcraft to deal with the critters, and varmints that seem to make havoc around the place... For instance I have pack rats who like to nest in air intakes and eat spark plug wires etc. I actually had a fire start under the hood of my daughters car awhile back caused by a pack rat nest in the exhaust manifold!! I also have a large crop of burrowing ground squirrels as well as rabbits and jacks that love to tear up my gardens and fields... I've lately taken to trapping as the pellet gun and the bow are a bit over the top for kangaroo rats and its tough to zap a roo rat or a pack rat unless you want to hang out all night in the cold and dark to get a shot....My latest is snares! (Pics to follow) So what, short of poison (the dogs are good at eating things they shouldn't), are others doing with pesky varmints?
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Snares, traps and deadfalls for varmint control?

Postby Greywolf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Snares, Oh yes. I have about 500 feet of cable left and all the accessories to make them. mine are spring up type with tubing and a trigger. the catch rate is about 30%.
I don't do strangle snares because the only predators we have are mongoose, nothing like the mainland has. Hogs are about it. I make a hole snare it's about 90% catch rate on hogs.
The hard part, Id set out 6 snare and 4 of them catch. that's a lot of butchering to do after work.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Winter Hawk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Greywolf wrote:Snares, Oh yes. I have about 500 feet of cable left and all the accessories to make them. mine are spring up type with tubing and a trigger. the catch rate is about 30%.

Sounds like overkill on pack rats! :rolf:

How about a cat? We have ZERO rodent problems around our house with four cats and three dogs.... :roll:

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:37 pm

use a 2 inch PVC pipe about 2 feet long put a screw on end cap on and drill angled holes in the tube on the other end, glue sharpened nail facing down inside the tube. it will allow the rats to go in but the pointed nails will not allow them to back out, little dry dog food in the end will get them to go in,

We do traps for mongoose here that way, We had a 8 foot tube and got 7 mongoose at one setting. then drown them and unscrew the end and bury them.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 pm

I have wiped out so many deer mice and pack rats this spring I'm not sure how many, I lost count..... Now I have a burrowing squirrel issue - the little monsters mowed down my lettuce starts and ate all the bell pepper starts in the green house! I have declared war! traps, poison, and empty buckets that are too high to jump out of that are wet - and of course the .177 custom pistol, and rifle..... air not powder......?
humm that gets me thinkin I've got a .177 Remmington parlor pistol, hummm got a Pendersoli .177 pistol too.......perhaps I need to get something that caliber in a percussion rifle too...... hummmm a RAT GUN!!! yeah! :D
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Find someone with a ferret, buy some burlap and let him sleep and pee on it. stuff it in the holes and put a net over the other exits they will come out real fast.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Thought about a squirrel rifle - but even .32 might be too much for the backyard..... given that the neighbors are at least 5 acres away.....I might get away with it.....guess I get to go shopping some more.....Even the .22LR is a bit loud though nobody complains about it...at least so far... Anybody see a .22 BP rifle? I found a Pendersoli .177 209 cap rifle........ Grey wolf, I don't think you have imagined the ground squirrel issue I have. I can sit on the deck with my pellet rifle and a cold beverage and have a squirrel bagging contest with a friend or two..... they are mining my lower meadow bigtime! The main burrow has about 6 or 8 entrances and is under the roots of an old cedar tree...... I really think I need to find a Rat Killin smoke pole! but hey the ferret idea sounds interesting....
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 am

.22 sub sonic with snake shot. We use them on forest chickens good for 30 yds at best with a 26 inch barrel. other wise a .22 short would be the next best thing.

only problem is, they are hard to find now. I had a brick on order from Cabelas. but they are not receiving any more for the rest of the year.
So, I'm SOL.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 am

Hey Winterhawk, I have a cat (and several "dust mop cat like" dogs) but the coyotes LOVE cat for dinner............."and your little dog too".....
So I'm forced to take a more personal approach to pest control......perhaps I need a bobcat - oh wait we have one! but it hasn't been by in over a year.... And my Great Horned Owls aren't nesting in the tree they used to..... so the critter population has Exploded! grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby LiliaJhon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:53 am

I think you should consult this with any pest control expert, so he will sort this out better there are so much product in the market which you can use as poison for your rat.

Get your inspections done today!
Live and let live.
LiliaJhon
Spike Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 am

The owls are back!! and so is a pair of sharp shin hawks! - but the coyote pack is now back up to 8 or 9 - Soooo the green sprouts are still having not much luck and the rodents are happy, and the hens in the coop are real nervous! :eek:
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 am

Though I'd post an update to this thread as the saga continues...... in 15 I expanded the chicken yard and raised the fencing to 5' plus a top wire. The rodent population is still active but the raptors have moved on.....
I hatched out 28 chicks and they were thriving - until the great chicken massacre in November last year...... went from 35 birds to three in less then two weeks... since I'm away most of the day, catching the yotes in the act is tough. I have been watching the exploding coyote population. Seven new pups were whelped at their den last season and the neighbor and I have not counted the total number in the pack accurately yet........ I've been working on securing the bird yard, this year so far I have only lost 4 guinea hens...... The yotes have learned to keep away when there is activity around the house and to keep out of range of the bow and small cal, but I see them regularly.......If only it weren't too loud to use the .45 or the .32 I'd have bagged several this year so far...... since there are new neighbors too close, I have to resort to stealth...... As winter makes the pack more and more hungry I'm bound to take more losses in the coop.... I may just break down and make alot of noise!!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:36 am

So far this year things have been unseasonably quiet in the meadow and the 6 remaining birds have survived. The ground squirrels have moved and they now have three mass burrows under three large Juniper trees. The battle continues - still no predators beside the yotes and they have returned to the den in the neighbors 80 acres south of me. They have been harassing both my neighbors and our dogs. I think they are wanting to single out a dog and have lunch. I have been watching their tactics.......
The coyotes have however taught their pups to keep a safe distance from the house. and I have not been able to get a shot within range in several months..... though I have seen them loping through the scrub and juniper regularly. The neighbor has caught a yote recently playing wounded taunting his heelers - this while four more yotes were on their bellies with heads down in the grass off a few yards listening and waiting for the heelers to get close enough to ambush them..... The neighbor said he was not able to get his rifle in time to do much and the heelers were wise to the trick. This has played out back behind my barn with my pointer and the dust mops as well..... Does not make me feel any too comfy except our pack of 5 seem to know the tactic too, and there's a good solid fence with a hot wire top and bottom......
Last edited by hawkthrower on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:09 pm

I feel for you! Coyotes have moved in here in SE Ohio also, and the deer population seems to have plummeted. I used to see deer daily when I walked the dogs in the woods out back of Chauncey, now they are few and far between. But then again, the mountain bikers are now out laying out trails up in there with plans to make it their play ground, which will drive the deer further into hiding. :x

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Yep they are everywhere. A friend from out here, lives in Manhattan now - said he thought he saw a pair rummaging the trash near his building..... He lives a few blocks from the WTC site.... yep those yotes get around!
The battle still is in full swing out this direction. This years crop of pups is out on their own and the pack seems to have split up. there are four that seem to have set up shop and the other four or five have moved north. I was able to get off a shot as they passed through the lower meadow behind the chicken pen about a week ago but again the range is none to good for a .22 at about 175 yds. In the wind, its luck, or not. Mostly or not - it just scares em and they stay away for awhile...

Donno what to say about the mountain bike types. My son and his friends are all about the mountain bike trails in the wilderness around here and in Colorado. I gotta say I'd rather walk in quiet through the woods but I can see the thrill, and I'd likely be doing it too if I was 20 again.... Mountain bikes are easier on the trails then 4 wheelers at least and less noisy too... I guess that's some saving grace...
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm

hawkthrower wrote:Dunno what to say about the mountain bike types. My son and his friends are all about the mountain bike trails in the wilderness around here and in Colorado. I gotta say I'd rather walk in quiet through the woods but I can see the thrill, and I'd likely be doing it too if I was 20 again.... Mountain bikes are easier on the trails then 4 wheelers at least and less noisy too... I guess that's some saving grace...

The thing I don't like is that there are existing trails and roads which the mountain bikers could use before they want to make new ones. The flag lines they have laid out are in places within 15 feet of an existing trail, and zig-zag along the ridge slopes within sight of each other. They have planned over 100 miles of trail in a 6 square mile (so only 6 sections) area, right where I go to shoot stumps and get my old(er) body some exercise. But my neighbors are all for it since our village is very economically depressed and they think these folks will be going to the few local businesses which are still in operation.

Hey, how about turning some snakes loose where the rodents are? You have lots of snakes around, just transplant some to take care of the little buggers!

Take care,
~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 pm

well we have plenty of snakes - found a 6.5 foot bullsnake at the barn a few weeks ago... also a king snake and tons of garter, and fivelines, the king snakes keep the rattlers away......

I see a new occupation in your future! Time to open a micro brewery! The Mountain bike types will flock to a micro brewery...... talk about bringing in business and revitalizing your village.the trails and a brew pub and you will have a going concern!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

There are a bunch of microbreweries down the road in Athens; they held "Brew Week" a little while ago with all the self congratulatory awards for whatever they could think of. Chauncey has a real drug/alcohol problem, so I don't think a microbrewery would help the cause! But it's a nice idea. I'll mention it to the mail lady, who also owns/runs one of the local convenience stores with attendant drive in liquor take-out.
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Return to Bushcraft / Primitive Skills