SVEA 123 "trad camp stove"

Post your gear or product reviews here.
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull
SVEA 123 "trad camp stove"

Post by hawkthrower » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:38 am

Here is a short history of the SVEA 123 stove - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123

If you've never used one or haven't seen one before they are the most rugged, reliable, simple to use white gas or benzine stove ever(IMHO)....... I have three presently. I have had one of them for nearly 50 years and it still works as great as it did when it was new! They are a bit heavy by today's lightweight standards and they aren't as fast to boil as the canister stoves like the one Tradrag reviewed, but they are still very effective and are still a great choice for a pack trip!
IMG_1171.JPG
Some consider them "antiques"....
IMG_1172.JPG
They are a bit hard to find but are still available new....Asking price, even on a used one, is more than some of the new MSR stoves....but I still love em! :D

Cheers
[size=85]"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher[/size]

Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Re: SVEA 123 "trad camp stove"

Post by Sneakon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:33 am

Yes, I also still love my Svea stove after 40+ years. A friend of mine weighed most of the stove options for a short overnight backpack, and the Svea was still his winner.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon

MontanaMan
Spike Bull

Post by MontanaMan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:34 pm

I have the 123R and it is a real work horse. These stoves are not for the faint of heart. They do take some attention while lighting them . Letting the stove warm up is key

I am partial to the 123R because it is self cleaning. I lost the office once on my 123 and it was not a good day. Got the 123R and gave the other one away. Did not need two of them.

Happy stoving

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Yup I still have my 123. The cleaning needle is a pain but the stove still works like it always has. I have 2 R's. And like the built in needles. Less stuff to loose!
[size=85]"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher[/size]