Cleaning up Skulls

Posts, How-to's, videos, etc. on tips that you have to help us all fine tune our traditional hunting gear.
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull
Cleaning up Skulls

Post by KsBow » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Boiling, red ants, beetles, etc. How bout nothing fancier than water and a container.
I used a mineral tub to place my locked up bucks in. Covered the skulls with water. Let it sit for about 4 weeks. Took em to a car wash. Brains came out, skin came off and trimmed a little off around the burrs with my pocket knife. Put them back in clean water and added some Rid X like what goes in septic tanks, pure bacteria. Left em for another couple of weeks. Took em back to the car wash. Hit em with the soap and degreaser. Put em back in the tub with clean water, a pint of hydrogen peroxide and a box of baking soda,(tip from Poggins). Took em out about 3 or 4 days later and WA LA! Takes time but sure works well. Easier to do with one deer that you can clean up prior to beginning.
Attachments
2014 Locked Bucks.JPG
2014 Locked Bucks.JPG (242.22KiB)Viewed 2049 times
Locked and Clean.JPG
Locked and Clean.JPG (152.4KiB)Viewed 2049 times
Locked II.JPG
Locked II.JPG (148.38KiB)Viewed 2049 times
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Cleaning up Skulls

Post by campcook » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Ralph ya forgot step one get those no account yodel dogs to devour all the edible stuff off both bucks. But I guess I would want to omit that part to and Invite myself to the barbque. If you aren't careful with the peroxide you can darken the antlers with some good wax shoe polish. Alex

Johnbow
4X4 Bull

Re: Cleaning up Skulls

Post by Johnbow » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Looks good buddy. John :applaud: