Aim point

Posts, How-to's, videos, etc. on tips that you have to help us all fine tune our traditional hunting gear.
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Aim point

Post by Greywolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 am

Aim for the center. It doesn't matter if it's an aspirin or a beach ball.
The center is the center. This is where the aim small, miss small theory comes into play. Look at the whole animal, you miss the whole animal.
Pick out a hair and if you miss that hair, your still in the kill zone.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Re: Aim point

Post by KsBow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Mark, just got on here and went to this forum. Raining right now so I'm not in the woods. This is a simple and largely overlooked tip for novice, and old timers too. Thanks for reminding us. :77:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by campcook » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Tell that to Milo Hansen I think thats why his first shot on his world record went in to the antler. I just can't figure how I can miss two deer at 10yds then knock a squirrel out of a tree at 25. Alex :rolf:

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:04 pm

campcook wrote:Tell that to Milo Hansen I think thats why his first shot on his world record went in to the antler. I just can't figure how I can miss two deer at 10yds then knock a squirrel out of a tree at 25. Alex :rolf:
The arrow goes where you look, if your looking at the antlers then the pin is there too, if you a Traditional shooter the arrow is pointed there too. if you shoot over the back, you looking at the whole deer... and Guess what?

You missed the whole deer. use my method and center punch the hair your looking at.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Post by zeek from coon creek » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:05 am

I just can't figure how I can miss two deer at 10yds then knock a squirrel out of a tree at 25. Alex
We miss those "give me" shots because we think there's no way I could miss this and we don't settle down, focus and concentrate. We just pull back and make a sloppy, half-a** shot. If we are extremely lucky we make an acceptable hit. If we are just lucky we make a clean miss. If we are not so lucky we make a bad hit. The truth is there are NO "give me" shots. To take blind chance or luck out of the equation we must settle in, focus, concentrate and make the shot with intent. Several years ago I was hunting with my first longbow and I took a "give me" shot at a big doe. I was just lucky that day and stuck the arrow in a poplar tree by her head. (I wound up leaving that magnus head in that tree, couldn't get it out) The next afternoon in the same brush blind a grey squirrel took notice of me and threw a fit. He barked and scolded for 15 minutes til everything in the woods was on high alert. I was seriously aggravated at that squirrel and when he finally worked his way down the tree trunk to where I wouldn't lose my arrow I just about cut him in half with a magnus. I was aggravated at that squirrel and fully intended to kill him so I settled in, and really focused on making the shot. There's the difference. As Mark says it is ALL about focus and concentration.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)

Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Post by Sneakon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 am

zeek from coon creek wrote:
I just can't figure how I can miss two deer at 10yds then knock a squirrel out of a tree at 25. Alex
I hit or am within an inch or two of a 50 cent size target all day long, but miss the squirrel 8 out of 10 from the same distance.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am

It's human nature. Not to worry. People that have perfect concentration are people like Byron Ferguson that practice hours upon hours a day. Even then, they miss too.
The way I handle it is just watch for a minute or so, let "Me" settle down, then start looking for spots to hit, once you get in that frame of mind it's easier.
It's not a perfect fix, but it works for me. foucus on the armpit area(the heart) most animals have the great ability to completely duck and arrow. Aim low, aim small.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii