Taking Twists Out of Limbs

Posts, How-to's, videos, etc. on tips that you have to help us all fine tune our traditional hunting gear.
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull
Taking Twists Out of Limbs

Post by KsBow » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 pm

When you're working on a selfbow, you sometimes run into a twist in one or both limbs that is severe enough that there's a need to bring it back to match the other. I've heard of several different methods of accomplishing this. However, the technique I use is simple and less stressful on the wood. Just clamp the plumb part of the limb, by that, I mean a straight part that you want to bring the twist to, in a vice.(With some protection). Then go outside the area that you want to untwist and place a piect of leather over the limb to protect the back and belly. Hang a pipe wrench made up to barely fit over the leather. I use anything from a 12" up to an 18", depending on the severity of the twist. You can hang other wrenches on the end of the handle if you need more weight. Then slowly use the heat gun over the twisted area to warm it up. As you're moving the heat gun over the limb, watch the end of the pipe wrench, it'll start coming down. Keep going untill it's just a tad past plumb. At that point cut the heat and using a shop rag doused in cold water, apply it to the portion of the limb you heated up to cool it quickly. Leave the wrench on it till it's cool to the touch. If you've added more weight to the end, you may want to take some off at this point.
The advantage to this method is that you are NOT forcing the limb to untwist. Gravity is doing it for you and there will be no damage to the limb or the wood fibers in the limb. It's quick, simple and very effective. :applaud:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Re: Taking Twists Out of Limbs

Post by stickandlimb » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:29 pm

had to take a twist out of a limb...wasnt sure I could do it ..But I remembered watching you . I got a heat gun and some cooking oil.....clamped it down and it worked . wish I would have read this first because I was nerves the whole time......leslie
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......

KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Re: Taking Twists Out of Limbs

Post by KsBow » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Leslie, I'm finishing up a little osage bow with flipped tips right now. Had to untwist one limb, bend the other, readjust both tips, then, after loosing some of the flip on one end, had to redo the flip. Patience is the key. Just keep at it and go slow. You can move more wood than a woodchuck. :applaud:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO