DIY Flintlock Clean-Out Nipple

For all of you making your own gear! i.e. Possible bags, powder horns and measures, etc.

DIY Flintlock Clean-Out Nipple

Postby Matt Raymond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:16 pm

Hello all,

So now that I have a long rifle, I've seen a few clean-out nipples available but I wanted to build one myself. I probably have about $2.50 in parts and it only took me about 30 mins to make it. Your thread sizes and pitch may be different but just go by what the thread size and pitch is for your touch hole liner...providing that it is removable.

In my case I have a Pedersoli so my touch hole threads are M8-1.25... So I went to the local hardware store, (big box stores will have them too) and bought a M8-1.25 x 30 hex cap screw, a matching nylon type lock nut, about 2 ft of 1/4" id clear plastic tubing, and I happened to have a bit of rubber gasket lying around but an o-ring would work well too.

Step 1. Screw the nylon lock nut about 1/2 way down the screw. Leave enough threads exposed to thread into the touchhole liner hole and also leave room for the gasket/o-ring. Place the screw head in a vise and drill an 1/8 hole down through the center of the bolt, starting from the thread end.

Step 2. Hack saw off the bolt head about 1/2 inch from the other side of the lock washer. This section will be the smooth nipple section. Once it's cut off, take a file and remove the threads from that side.

Step 3. Secure the clear plastic tubing to the smooth nipple with a plastic zip tie.

Now I can clean the gun by removing the touchhole liner, installing the nipple/tubing. Place the other end of the tubing in hot soapy water and plunge a cleaning jag/patch up and down the barrel. The nipple/tube will siphon the water in and out without too much mess.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Matt Raymond
Spike Bull

Re: DIY Flintlock Clean-Out Nipple

Postby petew » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:21 pm

I like it.
Pete ward
Share your knowledge and information