Wooden dowel speed loader

For all of you making your own gear! i.e. Possible bags, powder horns and measures, etc.

Wooden dowel speed loader

Postby Matt Raymond » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:20 pm

I love to hunt with minimal gear. I wanted to make a traditional type speed loader to take into the woods with me when I use my Lyman GPR .54 caplock. I wanted something that was self contained and would fit into the front breast pocket of my wool hunting coat. I had a section of 3/4" hardware store dowel lying around and I got to thinking. I cut it to about a 6" length and drilled a hole through it about 1/2" or so from one end to act as a loading block for a patched ball. Then I cut about 1" off of the other end to use as a cap. I then drilled down through the center of the dowel enough to hold about 70-80 grains of 3f powder. I then cut along the 1" section and wittled off a section of it so that it fits snugly into the hole I drilled for the measure. Once I got a tight friction fit between the two pieces, I drilled a small hole in the underside of the lid and placed a dab of bee's wax in there. The small hole is slightly bigger that a #11 cap and the dab of bee's wax keeps the #11 cap from falling out, but isn't too sticky as to make capping the rifle difficult. I put 2 tiny little brass tacks to serve as locators so that I know what position the lid fits into the powder hole best. The finish is just multiple coats of boiled linseed oil.

I've tested it and it works great. For a 2nd shot, remove the lid, pour the powder down the bore, push the ball out of it's nest with your finger, use the flat botton of the loader as a ball starter, ram it home using the ram rod, place the lock at full cock, cap the nipple with the cap waxed into the lid....fire. The only issue with it so far is that with a .535 roundball over 80 grains of 3f Goex...I have yet to need a 2nd shot!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Matt Raymond
Spike Bull

Re: Wooden dowel speed loader

Postby hawkthrower » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 pm

:applaud: nice work!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Captchee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 pm

i like that. nice :77:
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:22 am

Very nice!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby 54 flinter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:09 am

Hey Matt nice job this is my speed loaders I made these back in 1977 when I pick up my first muzzleloader Made It by drilling out same bore dimensions and then lacquer the inside and out the lacquer inside will take up the dimension so it be a tighter fit on the patch and ball then the plug I just drill for the cap and it's the same size as the cap and I pinch the cap Fit the nipple

I haven't use those since I got my Parker Hale musketoon now I use my Enfield cartridges
Attachments
IMAG0095.jpg
IMAG0096.jpg
IMAG0097.jpg
54 flinter
4X4 Bull

Return to Do It Yourself Traditional Gear