Diy bear trap

For all of you making your own gear! i.e. Possible bags, powder horns and measures, etc.

Diy bear trap

Postby nmubowyer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 pm

So I'm building a bear trap, obviously for show but I'd like it to work. I'm almost don't but I need some springs. I made some out of carbon steel, anybody have any ideas for heat treating to make them springy or how to form spring steel without losing its elasticity?
Attachments
image.jpg
www.deadriverbowcompany.com
nmubowyer
Spike Bull

Re: Diy bear trap

Postby zeek from coon creek » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:16 pm

When you say "carbon steel" are you talking about mild steel such as 1018 or a high carbon steel such as 1095 or O-1 tool steel? If you are talking about mild steel, I don' think there's anyway to turn it into a working spring even if you case hardened it I doubt that it would work as a spring. If it is one of the high carbon steels then it might be possible to make a working spring if you got the temper just right.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby nmubowyer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

I don't know the carbon content it's a real low grade steel, just some scrap. Prolly a low carbon.
nmubowyer
Spike Bull

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 pm

That's awesome, what a great idea.
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:54 pm

You might go to a salvage yard and get some flat leaf springs from an old truck and form springs from that; if the material is wide enough to accomodate the slotted ends on your soft steel prototypes. You would have to heat the material to bend it to shape then re temper it when you got it like you want it. Making a good working spring boarders on the fringe of doing magic. Essentially you are asking a piece of steel to be hard enough not to bend but at the same time to be soft enough not to break. There is a very tiny "window" of "just right" one has to hit to pull it off. I've made mainsprings for gun locks and in my experience I ruined way more than I was successful with, but it can be done.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby nmubowyer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:55 pm

zeek from coon creek wrote:You might go to a salvage yard and get some flat leaf springs from an old truck and form springs from that; if the material is wide enough to accomodate the slotted ends on your soft steel prototypes. You would have to heat the material to bend it to shape then re temper it when you got it like you want it. Making a good working spring boarders on the fringe of doing magic. Essentially you are asking a piece of steel to be hard enough not to bend but at the same time to be soft enough not to break. There is a very tiny "window" of "just right" one has to hit to pull it off. I've made mainsprings for gun locks and in my experience I ruined way more than I was successful with, but it can be done.

Yeah I agree, I'm just gonna use the soft steel and weld it open. Thanks for the input
nmubowyer
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Thu May 01, 2014 6:21 am

very cool .
when i was a boy my father often made traps but nothing that big :applaud:
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby nmubowyer » Fri May 02, 2014 4:25 pm

I got a little farther today, still need to do some fitting
image.jpg
nmubowyer
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Wed May 14, 2014 6:17 am

looks like its coming along . ver cool project IMO
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 am

cool project.
my thoughts are since this is a display only, depending on how you plan to display it, maybe you don't need to make the springs too strong so no one would accidently get hurt with it.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Do It Yourself Traditional Gear