belt bags

For all of you making your own gear! i.e. Possible bags, powder horns and measures, etc.

belt bags

Postby Spotted Bull » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:44 am

Sewed this up with selling it on my mind, then the wife took a shining to it...so she gets it. Little belt bag that was sewn with waxed linen and then browned in the sun, then oiled up good with bear grease and mink oil. I engraved a celtic cross on the front flap. Its about 4 1/4" by 4 1/2".

Here is another bag that I finished recently for a young buck... I've been trying to use up some smaller pieces of leather, so not enough long stuff for a strap. So belt bags fit the bill.

Spotted Bull
4X4 Bull

Re: belt bags

Postby hanshi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:53 pm

I've made ONE belt bag and may try another. But yours are a LOT MORE BETTER than anything I can cobble together.

Yours really shows craftsmanship that I can't begin to emulate. :77:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
hanshi
5X5 Bull

Postby Spotted Bull » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Hanshi all it takes is practice and a little bit of instruction. I suggest that you get the book, "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch"...best book there is on the subject. Taught me a LOT!

By the way...gonna copy that style!
Spotted Bull
4X4 Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Very nice work for both of you. I am always amazed at the regularity of the stitching some folks get. Mine always ends up with varied lengths on the stitches, and the back goes in zig-zags. :shock: I've made several holsters and knife sheaths which were serviceable, but not too pretty!

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Spotted Bull » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Winter Hawk wrote:Very nice work for both of you. I am always amazed at the regularity of the stitching some folks get. Mine always ends up with varied lengths on the stitches, and the back goes in zig-zags. :shock: I've made several holsters and knife sheaths which were serviceable, but not too pretty!

-Kees-

The trick is to use whats called an overstitch wheel. The wheels in the picture are for varying numbers of stitches per inch, 5, or 7. I generally use a 7 stitch per inch wheel, but I also have an 11 and a 12 stitch per inch wheel. Those are for very special projects.
over stitch wheels.jpg

Generally I use a groover to cut a groove in the edge of the leather. I do this even if I am sewing it inside out and it won't show in the finished product, just not as deep. Here is a pic I found online of the process.
groover in action.jpg

This is the groover that I use.
pro-stitching-groover-set-88081-00.jpg
pro-stitching-groover-set-88081-00.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 2980 times

You take this overstitch wheel and run it down the groove. This gives you an exactly even separation on the stitches. Here is a pic I found online of how it works.
wheel in action.jpg

Then I poke my holes and stitch it up. This is the diamond shaped awl that I use to poke my holes.
diamond awl.jpg

I always use a double saddle stitch...super strong! and I only use waxed linen thread! Here is what that setup looks like...
double needle.jpg

This link shows an excellent tutorial on how its done.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... -2-needles
Here is a video of how its done.
http://youtu.be/g6HOhqaVXW0

I tell people that it takes twice as long to get a project READY to sew as it does to actually SEW it up!

I hope this helps you guys out. Give me a shout if I can help...and if anyone else has pointers, please post them here! I SURELY don't know it all!!
Spotted Bull
4X4 Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for that quick rundown. I've been using a speedy stitcher (speedy awl?) to sew leather. Your detailing grooving the leather reminded me of w-a-y back when I was in the Navy, we would cut a groove in the various leather projects where we were going to sew them. Nothing fancy, just a bosun's knife and being careful not to score too deep. We would then use a sail needle with waxed thread to sew. Goodness, that was 50 years ago! How time flies when you're having fun.... :lol:

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Do It Yourself Traditional Gear