BP Volume Drill Gauge

For all of you making your own gear! i.e. Possible bags, powder horns and measures, etc.

BP Volume Drill Gauge

Postby Charlie Sometimes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 pm

In relation to the making a horn powder measure thread by Captchee.

I started with making a hole gauge so I could check my depths quicker, and mark my drill bit faster for the proper depth.
This one is made from a rough cut red oak 2x4 that I hand planed smooth (years ago) then sanded all the sides-
3 3/4" tall x 1 1/2" wide x 7 5/8" long.
I used a 7/16" brad point drill bit to make the holes- it matched my gradient measurer inside diameter.
I gave it a single coat of True Oil once I was "finished". :rolf:

I laid out a grid on top of the block first, and then staggered the holes, placing 10's on the left and 5's on the right.
Once they were drilled, I marked each with number punches, more so I wouldn't forget and accidently get into the wrong hole once I was using it.

My first attempt was using a pine 2x6- don't use the soft woods! The holes are to ragged inside, and it's harder to get a consistent bottom depth, IMHO. Drilling these I got out of sequence doing the tens side first, and had to back fill 2 of them with wood putty to make them right! :shock: :lol: You can see which two it was. I got distracted and forgot to reset my drill press, and drilled 60, 60, 50 instead of 60, 50, 40 before I caught it. Then on the very LAST hole, I got out of alignment, but caught myself in time, and avoided messing the whole thing up. :o :x

Now I am set to gauge any measurer that I make for the proper depth, in the method Captchee used.
You can drop in your drill bit and tape it right at the top of thewood and be ready to go.

I've got a measurer started for 60 grains and will attach pictures of it once I am done carving.
This is my first attempt at carving, so I am hoping it turns out okay.

Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, applogize to no one.
NRA Endowment Life member
Traditional Muzzleloading Association member
USMC 1980-1985
Charlie Sometimes
4X4 Bull

Re: BP Volume Drill Gauge

Postby Captchee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:22 pm

HA!!!! now that turned out nice . ill have to make one of those for my shop :mrgreen:
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:56 pm

when I first read BP, I thought 'oil company?' :? took me a minute to realize black powder. :oops:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Charlie Sometimes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks!
I'll get a better picture posted this evening.
It could be slightly smaller if I had not staggered the holes, but I wanted them offset to avoid misplacing the drill.
I also "high-lighted" the stamped numbers with a black permanent fine point marker to make them noticably readable.
Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, applogize to no one.
NRA Endowment Life member
Traditional Muzzleloading Association member
USMC 1980-1985
Charlie Sometimes
4X4 Bull

Return to Do It Yourself Traditional Gear