Decorations for a possibles bag

For all of you making your own gear! i.e. Possible bags, powder horns and measures, etc.

Decorations for a possibles bag

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am

So I thought I'd get a little fancy and add some to the bag I made a while back. -
I wanted to add a beaded edge to the flap..... so I finally had an hour or two to think about it and I put together these for a start....

IMG_0015 (2).JPG

figure I'll need about 50 of them with copper and silver beads strung on top before they are added to the bag's flap......these 4 took a couple hours, just hope I can get a bit faster at making them, it's gonna take a while!
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Decorations for a possibles bag

Postby markh » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm

They should look great, a lot of work, but will look good. Mark
markh
Spike Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Boy, your wife puts up with a lot if you're pulling out her hair to make those! :eek:

Before you get too far into this, you might want to hang some on the bag and use it to see if they tangle up on you; otherwise you may be combing them out every time you go out shooting. It does look like a nice decoration, that's for sure!

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hanshi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:50 pm

That will be all kinds of cool! Here's my pathetic attempt at a shooting bag made from canvas and deer hide.http://www.tradrag.com/forum/download/f ... 53473f2dd3

The one on the left is a leather shooting bag I made for squirrel hunting.
Attachments
fb02bf48-86fd-4178-981d-ee01a7575063_zpse3ad6ce8.jpg
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
hanshi
5X5 Bull

Postby Captchee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am

nice looking bags folks
horse hair dangles are cool but you may want to make them a little thicker with hair like the 2nd one in the photo .
how are you making them that's taking you so long Hawkthrower. ?

how we used to do silver Jingles and dangles of our dance regalia using silver cones or Copenhagen lids .is real simple and fast .
don't know if it helps but here how .

there were 2 different types . single string and double string .
single string "like you have " I used if we wanted to attach beads to the dangle IE like on a hair roach .

in that case the hair be it horse hair or dyed deer hair laid out .. for a broom effect a point is chosen just a little longer then the cone itself .. your sinew is tied off with a simple over hand Knott . that leaves you with 2 end of sinew . one end is laid along the hair and the other is fed threw the jingle . as the sinew is pulled up into the cone it folds the hair in 1/2 right at the Knot. .
pull the hair up tight in the cone or in your case the shell casing . if the hair wants to pull through the hole then simply grab onto the hair and slide it back out of the cone . add onto the sinew a bead or item that's a little bigger then the hole and feed the cone back on the sinew . Wa la a horse hair or deer hair dangle that you can add beads to .

now for the double thread . the double thread is for when you need to be able to tie off the dangle tight . say like to the bottom of your bag . the only difference in how the dangle is done is that instead of letting one end of your sinew hang down , both ends are fed through the cone . if beads , Teeth or Cora are added to the dangle then they are either threaded on the hair itself or strung up and tied into it .

there you have it . pretty simple . if you want a thicker look . just tie to the hair in the center of your length . for the layered look tie it closer to the end . if you don't want the layered look and folding the hair in half isn't long enough , just tie the hair of no further from the end then the length of your dangle ..
oh one last thing . one of the reasons you see a lot of the dangles done with tapered cones is because as you pull the hare up into the cone it becomes wedged . its a lot harder for the hair to fall out over time .
in your case you might want to add a spot of hot glue on the hair at the Knott as you pull the casing down over the hair .
anyway maybe that will be helpful. your bags going to look pretty cool

the
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby hawkthrower » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 am

Captchee, Its not the "making" that's taking the time - I'm drilling out spent 22 shells instead of twisting jangle cones (done a bunch of them in the past too). That isn't the time eater either - It's carding the horse hair and then getting the lengths lined up so I can tie off and pullem into the brass...... carding the hair free of knots and snags is time - lots of time... I'm using mane hair, not tail, its thinner, Bundling and and pulling the hair in, adding beads, and attaching them is a breeze......Trimming the hair "brush style I wouldn't need to be quite as concerned with getting the hair all combed out and lined up (could cut and comb after and it would be quick), but I want to be sure I hit as much hair in the middle of the length as I can so the taper looks "right" and the hair won't pull out as easily. These are single string sinew, the back is line knotted so each string is tied to the two adjacent. Here's the progress so far-

IMG_0208A.jpg
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 pm

That's lovely! The finished bag is going to be the envy of everyone!
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am

Slow but continued progress -

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0997a.JPG

IMG_0999a.JPG
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby markh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:08 pm

looks good. Mark
markh
Spike Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Thank you very much Mark! I have been working on many things all at the same time so my completion of projects is a bit more haphazard then perhaps some folks may expect - but hey! what ever works eh?
Still need to finish the beaded edge, also the strap tooling, and dye and seal of the edges of all the leather parts. I did get the pan brush and the other tool set for my flintlocks mostly done. I'll post some more photos some time soon of the entire kit.. :D
Thanks again for the encouragement!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:07 am

WinterHawk wrote:Boy, your wife puts up with a lot if you're pulling out her hair to make those! :eek:

Before you get too far into this, you might want to hang some on the bag and use it to see if they tangle up on you; otherwise you may be combing them out every time you go out shooting. It does look like a nice decoration, that's for sure!

~WH~

FYI WH - To make it clear :)
My love/better half/beautiful bride/BSN almost MD is a blonde......

- that red hair is from our/her Devil red Tennessee walking horse "As if by magic" AKA Dante -

BTW That other nasty monster in the photo is my warhorse/lifetime equine project/nemesis/horse friend (mostly when treats are in-hand) "Apache Wind" AKA Patch - ( stinky used cleaning patch sometimes! )

IMG_3301.JPG
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Horse hair, of course!

Nice animals. I miss having a horse, even if it's been 45 years or so since I had to sell Thor. I was thinking about him today, the rascal. He was an escape artist, and it took a while before we caught on to him. There was a low spot under the fence, and he would lie down on his side with his back next to it, then scoot himself under with his feet until he was clear. Don't tell me horses ain't smart! He didn't appreciate my pounding stakes in under the fence in that spot.... :lol:

-Kees-
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby hawkthrower » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 pm

WH - I know you've got a couple years on me but, I'm still getting bounced off the dirt every now and then after the big-60. I still like the wind in my hair and my eyes watering cause we are runnin full out across the mesa, or down a sandbar! There's nothin that makes ya feel as alive and connected as horseback at a full gallop! Makes you feel thrill and danger, fear and freedom all at once! Patch will get and go - Dante hates men and will only work for my daughter or my wife. the turd won't even move out of the front gate unless Patch is there! He's barn sour and nasty and won't allow himself away from his barn mate!
The apothegm of Narada,
hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sun May 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Dang, I just posted a quick reply, hit "submit" and it totally disappeared while the regular "reply" screen came up.

I told how we had a little mare for one summer. I went to bring her in. Put a halter on her and jumped on her back to ride her to the house. As I reached for the back of the halter she politely kicked up her rear end and I did a somersault over her head while she stood there and laughed at me (I could tell). Every time I rode her after that she would first crow hop, just to remind me, then trot along in high spirits. My wife complained that she would just plug along for anyone else.

Good memories!
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Return to Do It Yourself Traditional Gear