Knife handle Making

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Knife handle Making

Post by jmichelin84 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 am

Hello all, Im purchasing pre made blades like the ones my dad had for years, and i wanted to know how I could add a handle on to them , they are rat tail handles, with a twist, they are small knives, just under 6 inches, table knives, there are 8 and im wantign to do up 3 or 4 to give to my mother as a mothers day gift, because my dad stole all of hers LOL, im thinking of using red oak, if you have any ideas on how to do this or what wood would look best let me know
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father

zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Re: Knife handle Making

Post by zeek from coon creek » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 am

Are you saying the knives have twisted rat tail tangs like some files have to attach a handle, or that the knives have some kind of ornamental twisted handle like a lot of the hand forged railroad spike knives one sees? A photo would help. But, if it is the file tang arrangement, just drill a snug fitting hole in the handle material and epoxy them in; if it's the other I suppose you'd have to grind the twisted handle down into a tang then treat it the same way.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)

jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Re: Knife handle Making

Post by jmichelin84 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:43 am

zeek from coon creek wrote:Are you saying the knives have twisted rat tail tangs like some files have to attach a handle, or that the knives have some kind of ornamental twisted handle like a lot of the hand forged railroad spike knives one sees? A photo would help. But, if it is the file tang arrangement, just drill a snug fitting hole in the handle material and epoxy them in; if it's the other I suppose you'd have to grind the twisted handle down into a tang then treat it the same way.
the tang has twisted rat tail tangs like some files have, the pic i have is below, im really not sure what i should do to them, all i knew was make a handle blank, drill snug hole and shape to comfort, i noticed the twist ad was ok thats wierd LOL, what type of wood do you think i should use?

Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father