Eskimo Ulu????

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!

Eskimo Ulu????

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 am

Does anyone have any experience using the Eskimo ulu type knife? I have an interest in them. I wonder, do the eskimos know something we don't about effeciency? The ulu is still very much in use in that culture even after well over 100 years of exposure to "end hafted" blades. I do know that the grip and cutting motion with the ulu would be identical to man's first cutting tool, a sharp flake of "flint". I may turn in and make myself a simple ulu and try it out in my kitchen for a while and see what it's like. If I build one, I will (in keeping with group policy) post photos and a report on the results. But if anyone has done this experiment before, I would be interested in his / her thoughts.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Re: Eskimo Ulu????

Postby eddie c » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:34 am

i had read about one in a story and looked them up online. i found a store in Alaska that sells them and they have a good selection of different sizes. i almost ordered one but didnt. i just want one in my hands before I order one.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby jcporter@work » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:52 am

We have one and have only used in the kitchen. With the concave cutting board it is one of the best for chopping I have ever used. Thought of making a smaller version for skinning to see how it works. I think the stress on the hand would be less with a ulu. Don't think without more experience I would feel safe field dressing a deer with one though. Would make an unusual neck knife design.........
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Postby kyubiie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Eskimo Ulu was made with a caribou antler, muskox horn or walrus ivory handle and slate cutting surface, due to the lack of metal smelting technology in the Arctic.The handle could also be carved from bone, and wood was sometimes used when it was available. In certain areas, such as Ulukhaktok Northwest Territories, copper was used for the cutting surface.

Spike Bull

Return to Knives, Hawks, Axes, & Hatchets