Bushman Sheath?

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!

Bushman Sheath?

Postby Smithhammer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:10 pm

So I recently picked up a Cold Steel Bushman survival/utility knife. And it's a helluva tool for the price, imo - very impressed with the stripped-down, utilitarian approach, sharpens to as much of an edge as you'd ever want, and they're inexpensive enough that I'm not going to worry about using it for just about any task. In fact, I might just pick up a second one.

But, as most reviews I found have mentioned, for as great as the knife is, the sheath sucks in equal measure. Anyone found a good (improved) replacement sheath for the Bushman?
Smithhammer
Spike Bull

Re: Bushman Sheath?

Postby Smithhammer » Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Well, after 45 views and no responses, I figured I'd just let folks know what I've found - you can either get a cheap cordura sheath that fits, but the long-term durability is doubtful, or you can get a Zytel sheath which looks sweet, but runs $40 ($15 more than I paid for the knife).

I was leaning toward springing for the Zytel, but ultimately decided I'd spend $18 more and get a Becker BK2 on sale (w/Zytel sheath included) instead. I think it will be money well spent.
Smithhammer
Spike Bull

Postby FullDraw » Wed May 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks for the tip, Smithhammer. I've been on the lookout for a larger sheath knife and was leaning toward a Bowie style. I read several of the reviews and ordered one as well.

Gary :archer2:
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Smithhammer » Thu May 19, 2011 8:22 am

Yep, other than being a little on the heavy side, all I've heard is praise for the BK2.

I've got a BK11 and it is a great little knife that can take a lot of abuse and has a solid, well-made sheath.

There are times when I appreciate fancy, aesthetic knives (and I own a few) but most of the time, I'd rather just have a solid, stripped down utilitarian knife with a good, durable blade, suitable to a variety of tasks, and that I don't need to worry about. The Beckers certainly fit that bill.
Smithhammer
Spike Bull

Postby Bladepeek » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 pm

If you're still looking for a sheath, I could do one for you for $24 plus mailing. I'd need your knife to fit it, though. Below are some of the sheaths I've done for my knives.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm31 ... %20Knives/

Ron
Bladepeek
Spike Bull

Return to Knives, Hawks, Axes, & Hatchets