Silly Question.... Neck Knives

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!
TradRag
Site Admin

Silly Question.... Neck Knives

Post by TradRag » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 pm

I've never really thought about them but have seen a few of you that have them. What is the deal? Is it more about convenience over a belted sheath, the way it looks, etc. I am far from being negative. I just really want to know. I may need to get me one. :mrgreen: Shhh... don't leak it out to TradGirl. :evil: I've already spent my quota this month on a new tent.

So, fill me in and show me some pics if you have them.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Silly Question.... Neck Knives

Post by Lance Coleman » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 pm

I dunno B. I think it has some bit to do with convenience. But most guys I know where them beneath a coat or shirt which means you either have to reach up from under neath the shirt or pull it out the collar to get to it.

I honestly think it's more of a survival thing JUST to have an extra blade on you in a more obscure place. Never can have too many blades on ya.
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.

Dana Holman
Raghorn Bull

Post by Dana Holman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 am

I don't know about other people, but i don't think i want something sharp and pointy around my neck, alot of guys use them and like them, but not me. just my 2 cents
dana

Okie
Global Moderator

Post by Okie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:41 pm

If you read some of the history behind the neck knife, most will say it was worn there for decoration and convenience. There are situations that I like to wear a neck knife, but mostly I prefer a side sheath. I believe the natives wore them as decoration, because most of them are decorated with quill and bead work. But it could be because they didn't like sewing belt loops on their loin cloths. :rolf:
Google, history of the neck knife... there's a lot of info out there.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 am

Okie wrote:If you read some of the history behind the neck knife, most will say it was worn there for decoration and convenience. There are situations that I like to wear a neck knife, but mostly I prefer a side sheath. I believe the natives wore them as decoration, because most of them are decorated with quill and bead work. But it could be because they didn't like sewing belt loops on their loin cloths. :rolf:
Google, history of the neck knife... there's a lot of info out there.
The size knives I normally tote?? I would need a mules neck to puttem on!
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.

JMartin
4X4 Bull

Post by JMartin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 am

I wear one all the time, it took a little while to get used to it, but I finally did. I wear overalls, so it tucks neatly behind my bib, I use it all the time.

DwarvenChef
Spike Bull

Post by DwarvenChef » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:07 am

I wear one everyday as well, a 2" blade can be very handy in many ways. Just be aware of local laws, it could be classified as a concealed weapon.
Stop drooling on the ovens... they ain't done yet!!!
http://smokepoles.blogspot.com/

DraggingCanoe
Spike Bull

Post by DraggingCanoe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:13 pm

That's actually a really good point Okie, and I'm glad you mentioned it. Most things a southeastern native (who are the main people who where them) and most other natives carried were fastened to his/her waist. Sewing awl, fire kit, hawk, jerky pouch, etc. If you carried your knife around your neck, that's one less thing to hang off your waist.

quiet man
Raghorn Bull

Post by quiet man » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:50 pm

People didn't wear belts too much, most that hunted using a muzzleloader had to have a knife handy to trim the patch, hanging it at the level with your gun barrel made sense,might save you a few seconds in an indian battle.

FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by FullDraw » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:31 am

Quiet Man gets the prize :77: . When everyone shot round ball and patch they were used to trim the patch.
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a

eXtremeKier84
Spike Bull

Post by eXtremeKier84 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 pm

A Neck knife is a small fixed-blade knife which is carried by means of a "pendant rig", in which the knife is suspended from around one's neck, handle down, by either a length of paracord or, more commonly, a breakaway beaded chain such as those utilized for military dog tags.
Neck knife
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other

daniel.liss
4X4 Bull

Post by daniel.liss » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm

alot of guys in my unit have them and im not too sure why. I know in SERE school they showed us that is could be a good idea because its hidden at first sight to enemies (unless your naked for some reason). its normally a survival too i would assume
Professional Predator
Train, Learn, Become
facebook.com/whatnatureintendedusfor

jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Post by jcporter@work » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 am

I tend to go along with the thought that it was to take a little weight off the belt. I know with a shooting bag, powder horn and such hanging around you, it's easier to get to a patch knife hanging around the neck. But I have to admit, I don't dress a belt sheath up as much as a neck sheath. So, I guess there is a little to be said for the ornamentation aspect too. I find that if I'm not hunting with a muzzleloader I carry the same size knife on a belt as I like a fixed blade better than a folder and they take up less room on a belt than a folder in the pocket.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres

Longhunter
4X4 Bull

Post by Longhunter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 am

A neck knife is a good excuse to carry another knife.. :lol:

It's also very handy having a blade that is so easily accessible during those many times throughout the day when you need a cutting tool. Belt knives are fine when your hunt turns successful and pocket folders are indispensable but for easy access you just can't beat a neck knife.

Here's my "Lil' Shaver" http://shrewbows.com/lil_shaver.html

tv_racin_fan
Spike Bull

Post by tv_racin_fan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:55 am

I don't see it as a silly question at all.

I have a few different knives that are or can be construed as neck knives.

I intend to knapp myself one one of these days...

mooseman1967
4X4 Bull

Post by mooseman1967 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 pm

I wear one all the time but my first thoughts when I purchased one was that around your neck and outside your clothes was easy access in case of emergency. Trying to work the straps of a safety harness is difficult enough while on the ground. I couldn't imagine trying while hanging in a tree. So if you couldn't get back in your treestand at least you could cut the harness with a somewhat controlled fall. Personally I would rather do that than hang there till I blacked out hoping someone would find me. OH and I think they look cool 8-) I call mine the "The Backwoods Bolo"

SlayerOfBunnies
Spike Bull

Post by SlayerOfBunnies » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:08 am

It's a handy way to ensure that you always have a knife on you. I can even sleep comfortably in my hammock with my neck knife on.

Careful though - they seem to attract wildlife...

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:41 pm

My Sweetie says that "behind every good man there is a kitty...." Maybe that should be before, not behind.

-Kees-

stickandlimb
5X5 Bull

Post by stickandlimb » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 am

I scuba dive and we have knife attached to the center of our vest and one on our leg . The reason is you may not always be able to reach the one on your leg to cut your way out of a problem . If its in the center of your chest you can reach it with either hand ......plus it looks COOL... :mrgreen:
Its all mind over matter..If you don't mind it don't matter.......

mccaw69
Spike Bull

Post by mccaw69 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:26 pm

I made one recently,I like the ease of concealment,it also gives me a smaller blade in the woods for the more tedius task of skinning n such on small game.
Attachments
nk1.png
nk1.png (30.57 KiB) Viewed 15323 times
"And God was with the lad;and he grew,and dwelt in the wilderness,and became an archer" Gen.21;20

Killir Duck
Spike Bull

Post by Killir Duck » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:03 am

i've used them a bit but have alway been kinda scared that someday i'm gonna trip and fall on it and have a knife stickin out of my throat or chest
i love playing with rocks and sticks

Harryjhaw
Spike Bull

Post by Harryjhaw » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm

In colonial times, when shooting flintlock rifles, the gun was typically a long gun with a barrel length that reached up to the center of the chest. The shooter would insert the lead ball laid on a strip of pillow ticking, after the ball was pushed into the barrel, the patch knife, conveniently hung around the neck was used to cut the patch material flush with the end of the barrel.

old frank
Spike Bull

Post by old frank » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 pm

I have always thought it was a handy idea and I have owned several neck knives. I just never could make it work for me in a hunting situation.

In a tree I usually have a safety harness and several layers of clothes on. I end up with the knife on the outside of my clothes but worry about it getting in the bowstring :eek: .

I have not completely given up on it and will probably try in the future as they sure are handy when you can't get the cheese crackers to open.

I have been wearing a very small knife on my belt horizontal just to the left of my belt buckle and find it really useful in the woods.

It is a modern design but can be worn neck or it comes with a belt loop. I do want to own one of the Shrew knives eventually too.
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CR2387 ... owie-Blade

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:35 pm

You know, I can see using a neck knife to cut patches at the muzzle, but the knife is in a sheath which hangs around your neck. To use it you would pull it out of the sheath so having it at the same elevation as the muzzle wouldn't be any handier than having the sheath on the strap of your shooting bag in my opinion. Will have to try it and see! :) Sounds like a great excuse to go burn more powder. :dance:

-Kees-