Helle blades questons...

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!
sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Helle blades questons...

Post by sharkbaitffd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:03 pm

All,
I wanted to make and handle for a helle blade and have no idea where to start. If anyone knows where I can get some good info on this let me know. Thanks!

Brandon
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-

John Allmand
Spike Bull

Re: Helle blades questons...

Post by John Allmand » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Brandon,

I prefer antler handles, expecially knarly Elk or Whitetail. All you have to do is carefully drill a hole in the antler, make some undercuts in the hole, and epoxy the tang in the hole (after you slide the guard on, of course!) I made one using a Springbuck horn a couple years ago. It came our pretty cool. Here is a pic.

Good Luck,

John
Attachments
JHK December Knives 021.jpg

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Amazing knife!! Thanks for the help, I just couldnt' figure out how to secure the blade :?

Brandon
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-

Hornboy
Spike Bull

Post by Hornboy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Scandinavian style knives are most of stick tang. Look on the internet for Scandinavian knife handle and you should find lots of step by step instructions.

>>>---WW---->
4X4 Bull

Post by >>>---WW----> » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:12 pm

I have been building Helle knives with elk antler handles for several years. You can look on my post here titled( My Latest Knife). Here is basically how I build one.

First of all tape up the blade. They are very sharp and this also protects the blade from scratches.

Next I make sure my hilt and spacers are going to fit the blade properly.

Then select a good piece of antler about 5" long that you like and drill a hole in it just ever so slightly smaller than the tang of the blade.

The tang may or may not need trimmed off depending on how long your drill bit is. The tang is so hard a hacksaw won't touch it. I use a bench grinder and grind a V notch in each side and snap it off.

Next you are ready to place the blade in the antler. (NO GLUE YET) First you want to make sure everything lines up right and probably do some rough shaping of the antler so it matches the hilt or finger guard. To do this, I mark the bottom of the antler with a sharpie pen. Then I take everything apart and grid that end of the antler to match the finger guard. You may have to put it together and take it apare several times before you have it where you want it.

Once you everything pretty close to where you want it, It's time to pull it all apart and literally stuff the hole in the antler with 15 or 30 minute epoxy glue. Don't use the 5 minute stuff. I feel the 15 or 30 makes a much stronger bond.

Now you are ready to stick everything together. There will be some glue the oozes out th hole but you can wipe that off.

Next you need to clamp it all together and let it set for at least 24 hours.

Now comes the dreaded hand work. Get yourself some extra fine sandpaper or steel wool and put a good smooth look on it.

Some tools that really help out without breaking the bank are a small drill press, bench grinder, dremel tool, a saw, and hand files.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris86
Spike Bull

Post by chris86 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 pm

nice blade John i like the handle and also yours >>>---WW----> i like the blade like the scale of it

Last edited by chris86 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Here is my first ever Helle. Used antler that my late grandfather and my dad harvested together years ago. Present to my dad this past Christmas. Not a dry eye between us.
image.jpg
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com