My new Camp Knife

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!
highnoonhunter
TradRag Sponsor

My new Camp Knife

Post by highnoonhunter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:58 pm

For years I've wanted a nice camp knife. But I also wanted it to serve other purposes. Not only to work up some meat, but chop saplings, kindling, but also be able to carry it while hunting or atving, but I wanted to be able to "poke" something with it, if the need arose.

So I talked to Rob Furnald, (shortarrow), a guy on my site that designs knives, and told him what I was needing, and in about 10 minutes or so he emails me a full sized drawing, and two drawings with the knife handle on one, and the blade on another, because it's too big to fit on one sheet.
Then, me and Chris Cade, (mechslasher), got to talking about building the knife, and boy am I pleased! He did an excellent job on it!
I had an idea of how I wanted the sheath to be made, so I told him that I'd work on that end. I think I like my sheath rig pretty good.

First.... about the knife:
14 inches overall..... 9 inch blade, made of CPM S30V and Elk antler for handle slabs. The back of the spine is sharpened for the first 2 inches (just in case I wanna poke or stab with it). I chopped around 20 branches from a weeping cherry tree with it yesterday and it'll still shave ya!

I wanted the sheath to bend with me so I wouldn't have to take the blade off every time I sat down, got in my treestand, etc., so I came up with a little different rigging than the norm:
Image Image
Here's a few close ups. My photo taking ain't the best:
Image Image Image Image
But first, before you can blow the bugle horn, or follow the hounds, you must be content to chase the woodpecker.
~Maurice Thompson-1878~

www.highnoonhunterleatherworks.webs.com

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: My new Camp Knife

Post by TradRag » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:36 am

Bobby!, that is awesome! I love the sheath! I like bigger knives that can do it all too. Very good looking and congrats on a fine piece of equipment.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Olschool
5X5 Bull

Post by Olschool » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 am

HNH, that is a fine rig you guys came up with

Okie
Global Moderator

Post by Okie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:54 am

Wow! I like that a lot. Great job.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->

highnoonhunter
TradRag Sponsor

Post by highnoonhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks guys,
I used it yesterday for the first time while checking my stand, and adding another ratchet strap to it to better secure it. It worked great climbing the ladder and didn't bother me at all while walking or riding the atv up the mountain. And came in handy for cutting some vines and bush out of the way so I wouldn't hang myself after dark! LOL!
Overall I'm pretty pleased. If I have one gripe, it's that I made the sheath fit too well.......... don't know if it makes sense, but I'd like to be able to remove the knife a little more smoothly.......with the arc of the blade, it's not a strait pull to retrieve it...... but I knew I'd be wearing it a lot while riding and didn't want it falling out........ price I had to pay I reckon...... still does what I wanted it to do though, so I'm happy.
But first, before you can blow the bugle horn, or follow the hounds, you must be content to chase the woodpecker.
~Maurice Thompson-1878~

Les
Raghorn Bull

Post by Les » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Bobby very nice work. Really like the sheath idea. My GW Quiver is holding up great and going into second season.

highnoonhunter
TradRag Sponsor

Post by highnoonhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Great Les!
I gotta try and get my Greywolf quiver finished......... I'm currently using one of my older quivers I made for my dad, but he gave it back because he ain't able to shoot anymore.

That Mark what's-his-name, has sure caused me a lot of work!
~Maurice Thompson-1878~

jamcarz
Spike Bull

Post by jamcarz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:23 am

highnoonhunter wrote:For years I've wanted a nice camp knife. But I also wanted it to serve other purposes. Not only to work up some meat, but chop saplings, kindling, but also be able to carry it while hunting or atving, but I wanted to be able to "poke" something with it, if the need arose.

So I talked to Rob Furnald, (shortarrow), a guy on my site that designs knives, and told him what I was needing, and in about 10 minutes or so he emails me a full sized drawing, and two drawings with the knife handle on one, and the blade on another, because it's too big to fit on one sheet.
Then, me and Chris Cade, (mechslasher), got to talking about building the knife, and boy am I pleased! He did an excellent job on it!
I had an idea of how I wanted the sheath to be made, so I told him that I'd work on that end. I think I like my sheath rig pretty good.

First.... about the knife:
14 inches overall..... 9 inch blade, made of CPM S30V and Elk antler for handle slabs. The back of the spine is sharpened for the first 2 inches (just in case I wanna poke or stab with it). I chopped around 20 branches from a weeping cherry tree with it yesterday and it'll still shave ya!

I wanted the sheath to bend with me so I wouldn't have to take the blade off every time I sat down, got in my treestand, etc., so I came up with a little different rigging than the norm:
Image Image
Here's a few close ups. My photo taking ain't the best:
Image Image Image Image

Whoa...Your knife is great.. I like it and the sheath too very nice... very nice piece for a camp knife and try it also a survival knives.
[i]“If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say”[/i]