knife build along

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Re: knife build along

Post by woodsman1031 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:39 am

That is a super nice knife!
JESUS SAVES!!!!

oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Post by oldpaths » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Time for the super glue finish,It's really pretty simple all I do is get some of that thin runny type super glue not the gel and squirt some out on the handle and spread it out with my finger but ya gotta do it quick or it will start drying on ya before you get it all covered and you can apply as many coats as you want,I usually put 3 or 4 with fine steel wool sanding in between each coat.Some times I use tru oil but have a hard time with some woods.
Anyway if you want a shiny handle the glue works well! Hey jIM if you see this bro. I hope ya like it! and I will try to throw a sheath together this weekend if I can and hopefully I can make it to another shoot with ya before deer season,if not I'll give ya a call.
0903091841.jpg
From this.......
0903091844.jpg
To this !!
And now I think its time for the Greywolf "HAPPY DANCE!" I can't do it as well as the man himself but I'm happy!
0903091907.jpg
Go OP,Go op,Go op!!!
Jeremiah 6:16

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:28 pm

That's a fine rendition (check out that ten dollar word would ya !!) of the Happy Dance.......hope mine turns out like that. if this wind will settle down I'll go start a fire.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:49 pm

Absolutely Awesome! The dance too... go OP...go OP.. I am with you. Thank you for a great build. You have my address. ;)
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Ok, wind was calm, rain looks like it's gonna stay on top the mountains.... Lets build a fire !!!

Just as the fire got going, when the fire dept down the road got a call, the blaze wasn't even big yet when they went screamin by the house.........yes, I did start breathin a little easier

got the blank right on top of the coals and waited for more coal and then I cover the blank completely in the reddest hot coals in the Islands......well except for the brush fire........but I didn't have anything to do with that!!

the pic that was supposed be here, is in cyber space so picture this, blank in slip jaw pliers and the magnet not stickin Ok got it? good cause there ain't a picture of that.

Ok, on with the fire stuff...... where was I? oh yeah, I'm happy because it's workin Ok Happy Dance

Ok enough of that, now you said i gotta wait right till it cools down? well shucks........ I cover the blank with coals and ashes so it's under here somewheres...... waitin to be dug out when it get cooled down.....what next week?

Ok thats as far as I am today, guess tomorrow I can shape the blade, drill some holes, rub the blade(think thats what it's called) and maybe temp the blade back to hard as all get out again... I'll have to go back and read to see if thats the right order.

Daggone this is fun

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

SUPERKODIAK38
Spike Bull

Post by SUPERKODIAK38 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks guys I learned alot, guess its time to look around for some old saw blades

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Ok, HOLD ON !!! I can't drill the blade? I burned up a bit yesterday tryin to drill one hole. I filed the edge on the knife got a OK angle on the blade.....it's a blade now because it has a cutting edge right? purty sharp too I might add....

Ok maybe the bit was dull It might have been used for something else and put back in the case. I'll get another one (or 3) today and see after the gun show. the blank was in the same hot coals.

Why would one end be workable and the other not?

And I got a used toater oven at Savers too $4.99 gets nice and hot too. Be nice for warming epoxy too when I glue up the next bow.

any ideas what happened..............or didn't happen?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

VT Surf-N-Turf
5X5 Bull

Post by VT Surf-N-Turf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:21 pm

GW, did you used some oil to lubricate that bit while you were drill'n?
Traditional Bow Hunting: So easy a caveman can do it!

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:09 pm

No, but then again I never have drilling metal unless I'm gonna be drilling a lot of holes(over 10 holes with one bit)

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Post by oldpaths » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Hmmm,if you can't drill it theres only two reasons I can think of that would cause that.first is that it did not anneal properly meaning that it did'nt get hot enough and or cooled too quickly,in the winter time here when I have my fire place going I will throw knife blanks in the fire amongst the hot coals and leave them all night and in the morning when I get up and the fire has died down take it straight out and what was hard steel will drill rather easily.Next would be as you are thinking maybe the drill bit itself just be sure you take your time and drill slowly.

VT Surf-N-Turf
5X5 Bull

Post by VT Surf-N-Turf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Greywolf wrote:No, but then again I never have drilling metal unless I'm gonna be drilling a lot of holes(over 10 holes with one bit)
hmmmmm. I use an oil lube everytime I drill anything metal, otherwise I cook the bit. Now, I've never tried to drill annealed metal so oldpaths can have the final say on this one.
Traditional Bow Hunting: So easy a caveman can do it!

oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Post by oldpaths » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Yes sir VT,I would definetly use some oil when drilling steel

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Yessir that point on the spade bit just curled right up no match for this knife blank

Just kidding.... :rolf: it was a dull bit to begin with after I got to thinkin about it.......I'll get another after church tomorrow :P

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Jim Fields
Spike Bull

Post by Jim Fields » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:47 pm

I have been watching this thread every day since Larry told me about the site. It has been amazing watching him build a knife for me. The care and workmanship he has put into it. Seeing it being built before my very eyes just adds to the mojo of it all. I intend to put it to good use. Many thanks Larry I really appreciate you buddy. My wife should have had her camera ready Because she said shes never seen me do the happy dance before. :rolf: Greywolf looking good you've got a great teacher. Jim

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Boy what a sharp drill bit does for ya. I got the three holes drilled, I got the blade shaped sharpened and I even made a really really rookie forge. I got the blade hardened and now it sits in the toaster oven doin what ever 2 hours in the oven at 350 does
I got some Bocote scales all shaped and ready for tomorrow's glue the handles part. Not for sure how well this one will turn out, but it's been a adventure to say the least. I have seen a few ideas on how to make forges and how to's galore.

You guys have no idea how lucky toy are to live where you do, we have nothing here, everything has to be shipped in. so instead of me running down to the store and buyin what I need, it's gotta be shipped.

But then again............I can hunt deer 365...... so I guess it works out even....sorta.

I'll post pictures tomorrow of putting the knife together, the camera was being a problem a little while ago so I have no pics up to now.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Post by oldpaths » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:48 am

Well thank ya Jim,I just like make'n knives and make'n friends and you are a good'n!
Grey wolf,it sure sounds like your get'n along pretty good.I can't wait to see it finished!
Now I would just like to say I'm not sure what kinda steel you are using and when you say 2 hours in the oven @ 350 deg that may or may not get you a desired temper on your blade and that is kinda why I posted the color chart.
This steel I'm using here is some steel that I have made quite a few knives from and through (trial and error) the recipe I'm using seems to give me a pretty good blade that's hard enough to hold a good edge and and not too hard to sharpen.I just want you to know there are so many variables to steel and knife making that we have only scrapped the surface on this build along, but hey ya gotta start somewhere and you are off to a good start.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Yep, figgered as much, it's a first blade so if it turns out...fine if not then that's ok too. I just need to get some firebricks to make a forge it don't seem to get hot enough.

But hey if it were easy everyone would be doing it.
Probably gonna sit the pit tonight at the ranch and see if the hog is till visitin the area. never know till I do, I've been able to shoot purdy well. better take advantage of it before I go back to shootin the way I usually do... :rolf:

I'll post a pic or two of the process where I'm at right now, sometimes ya get goin and forget to take pichures

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm

I went down in the cave this morning just to look around and enjoy the fact I'm able to have this wonderful area in which to play.

I looked over at the knife blank laying on the workbech and remembered pete said I have to make a sheath for this knife before I can call it done !!

Ok pete here is the pic you requested the blank is 7 1/2 inches long.
It's a couple pieces of Bocote I had left over thought it might make a nice lookin handle.

I made sure the side was exactly where I wanted it and drill the three pins and where they were to be.

I drilled the other side same as the first plate and slide the pins into place to make sure they were the exact same position.

Happy with the way they look I pulled them apart and used the toothing plane blade to rough the inside of the sides on both pieces.

I also roughed up the blank handle area too on the grinder, I just kinda let it bounce along and scar the metal as it happened on both sides.

Using my favorite cleaner 95% denatured alcohol I cleaned everything wood and metal alike.

I mixed up some epoxy and spread it on all surfaces, Grabbed some C Clamps and pinned the handles in place. I put it in the toaster over at 150 degress for 3 hours. after it cools I guess the last step is shape they handle to the way I like and fit my hand. ready to get toasted !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Post by oldpaths » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Way to go bro.,Look'n good!,I think your gonna be a natural knife maker,

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Not done yet but close, still trying to get it to fit my mit size hands....

I guess, I shoulda turned the picture first sorry bout that........

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Post by oldpaths » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:48 pm

Yea buddy!!,you done real good GW,And to think this was your first try at knife make'n!!!

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Thank you, learned allot, even with the mistakes, but I guess ya need those to learn.........
Plenty of humid wet weather over here, so the coat of Urathane isn't quite cured yet, drags when I try to steel wool it.

Put it in the toaster oven for hour or so on low..... :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

TWOFEATHERS
5X5 Bull

Post by TWOFEATHERS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:24 pm

THANKS FOR POSTING , i'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO BUILD MY OWN KNIFE AND THANKS TO YOU I HAVE A GREAT IDEA ON HOW TO START! THIS STUFF IS GREAT!!
Kajikastik R.C. 55#@28"/L.B.57#@28"/.54cal cabelas hawken kit gun And a .45 cal kentucky pederzolli -and now a new .54 cal GP flintlock kit gun/AT HOME IN THE WOODS,I FEEL FREE AND VERY MUCH ALIVE!!!!!

jake1
Spike Bull

Post by jake1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm

You have a nice style of the knife, if ever we are interested, can we request what kind of knife to be build??? I like switchblade knife

JKeener
Spike Bull

Post by JKeener » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 am

I had recently bought Goddard's book, "The $50 Knife Shop" as I have always wanted to build a knife of my own. I just tend to procrastinate a great deal. This thread is an inspiration and I have learned a lot from it. The step-by-step build along explains a lot of what Goddard says in his book, but in a way that is easy to grasp and absorb. I really appreciate the time and effort put into the post. Thanks!

hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Post by hairy beaver » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 pm

oldpaths , that's an awesome tutorial ,, i could learn some serious technique from you ,, unfortunately i don't have the time to spend on cutting and treating my steel , i buy my blanks and spend a little more time than i should on handles ,, thank you for the lesson ,, and greywolf ,, that turned out nice ,, hope you get to put it to serious use !
No matter where you go , There you are

oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Post by oldpaths » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Why thank you very much guys for the kind words,hairy b. feel free to post some pics as we all enjoy look'n at knives!

hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Post by hairy beaver » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:16 pm

oldpaths wrote:Why thank you very much guys for the kind words,hairy b. feel free to post some pics as we all enjoy look'n at knives!
i've got a couple up in the show your knives thread by okie1 ,, just finishing up one i've been working on for the last couple months ,, Laminate scales are nice if they turn out ok , these scales are 18 layers each of alternating curly walnut / quartersawn maple ,pinned with 1/4 brass and a 1/4 brass tube for a lanyard hole , each layer is 64th inch veneer ,, soon as the weather goes up a notch or two i'm gluing up the pieces for a matching laminate sheath. this one still needs the lanyard attached and to be ran across the buffer one more time.
resized knife.JPG
walnut / maple veneer laminate
No matter where you go , There you are

T.O.
Raghorn Bull

Post by T.O. » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 pm

I had no idea how a knife was made out of a saw blade. Thanks I might try it sometime.

jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Post by jcporter@work » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:14 pm

One thing I do when using super glue is to wear rubber gloves. It gives you time to rub the finish in without getting stuck to the handle. Super glue works good as a sealer for bone and horn, but tends to darken it some. Pretty good way to make bone scales look aged.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres