knife build along

Show'em off or Show us how. Let's heat some metal!
KnightsTouch
Spike Bull

Re: knife build along

Post by KnightsTouch » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:58 am

I've had a blast reading this project. Really enjoyed and now I wanna try this build. Thanks

torquemada055
Spike Bull

Post by torquemada055 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Okay, time for the dumb questions caused by, my oh shoot moment!

I was attempting to solder the brass guard in place and the area in the center of the blade turned that bluish color on the chart for about an inch on both sides.. So trying to be smart I made the whole blade and tang that color and the guard fell off..... :rolf:
After much cussing at myself, I came in a re-read this thread again and decided to ask for help.
I got everything cleaned up and the brass guard soldered in place, :roll: again..it's now a flat dull gray color the whole length.
As you can see the blade is a uniform dull color
Am I supposed to cook it in the oven or clean up the excess, lightly sand it all and then cook it?

It's my first knife and I'm trying to make a bone handled small eating knife for my older sister who does medieval re-enacting. I figured a small brass guard would help protect her fingers but dont know if it is period correct. I've already figured out how to remove a guard and just squirt epoxy down the center of the bone and shove the tang in the hole....here's what it looks like mocked up.
I still need to make the sheath for it, anyone got any idea's?
Last edited by torquemada055 on Wed May 11, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

torquemada055
Spike Bull

Post by torquemada055 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Alrighty then, my wife has been looking at me like I am crazy for cooking a knife in her stove and it finally came out after 2 hours at 350 like it say's on the first page.

And I have this really neat deep rich blue blade with a brass guard on it..... :applaud: :rolf:
Now I am getting all sorts of laughter from her about following directions. I did follow them and she read the instructions on the first page with me.

Since this is for light general purpose/eating and looks sort of thing, does it being this color make it to hard and brittle?

HELP!!! I'm so confused and out of my depth on this.... :?

shannydez
Spike Bull

Post by shannydez » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:23 am

My idea on making knife is that you can utilize the unused Leaf_spring of a car, since it's very thick and durable
once you try it fabricating into knife, sword or whatsoever. Probably the result would be impressive. :ugeek:
:campfire:

JMartin
4X4 Bull

Post by JMartin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 pm

This is a really cool, very informative thread! :applaud:

kofikingston
Spike Bull

Post by kofikingston » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Pretty well done made knives guys, really amazed on how it processed, especially the Old Path gathered my attention...
Thanks to this additive thread,

White Falcon
4X4 Bull

Post by White Falcon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Nice!

White Falcon
4X4 Bull

Post by White Falcon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:56 am

Very Nice! Thanks