Hairline crack in osage, repair?

Repair, refinishing, restoration, how-to's, etc.

Hairline crack in osage, repair?

Postby Boompa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:15 am

I have a sinew backed osage Owl bow that has developed two cracks on the compression / belly side. I believe these are from the wood drying out, I live in a dry climate and the bow was built about four years ago. One is about 2" long and near the center of the belly side of the limb. The other is about 1/2" and on the outside edge of the limb, also on the belly side. These are so thin,(fine hairline), that I didn't notice them until I had the bow out in the sunlight and I can try to attach pictures later today. What, if anything, would you suggest to prevent further damage? How would you make repairs if necessary? Thanks in advance, Doug
Boompa
Spike Bull

Re: Hairline crack in osage, repair?

Postby Se1f6ow22 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:30 am

Are the cracks horizontal or vertical. If they are vertical dont worry about it(Unless they run off the side of the bow). On all of Ed's bows he puts johnsonville paste wax on after he puts the finish on. Its a good habbit to go ahead and get some and put a coat on at least every 4 months. I try and put it on about once a month. If they are horizontal cracks(Im doubting they are) you will need to post pictures.
Se1f6ow22
Spike Bull

Postby Boompa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm

The cracks are so fine that they do not show well in the pics. One looks old and appears to have been finished over. Both start inside the limb and go out to the edge. Both are in the length of the limb as opposed to running across the limb.
Attachments
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG
Boompa
Spike Bull

Postby Se1f6ow22 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:52 pm

I doubt you need to worry about it. Since, I'm guessing its a sinew-backed bow. And I know if anything happens to it, he will fix it, or he'll make you a new one, more than likely free of charge(if you bought it from him directly). But if it is really bothering you, get some sinew, process it, and then soak it in some water for about 30 minutes. Then rub some tightbond 3 into the sinew and wrap it around the two spots. If the cracks are on different limbs you might what to wrap the opposite end to give it a symmetrical look. But do get some of that johnsonville paste wax and put a coat of that one every now and then, it also helps lock in moisture(and keeps it out). And if you want to go straight to the source, just give Ed a call, he would be more than happy to talk to you about it.
Se1f6ow22
Spike Bull

Postby Boompa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Yes, Sinew backed. This is one of the best shooting bows of any type, self or fiberglass, that I have. The flaws do not move at all when I shoot the bow so I'm not too worried but I believe I will give Ed a call. Thanks, Doug
Boompa
Spike Bull

Return to Restoration and Repair