hello, I'm new to tradrag and need your help

Repair, refinishing, restoration, how-to's, etc.

hello, I'm new to tradrag and need your help

Postby grizzly » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 am

It is a a very interesting site. I, like many of you, have started collecting those old recurves. i know there are worse hobbies.I have enough to take a different one hunting every day for a month but there is more than one month in deer season so i have to keep gathering. I have shot archery from an early age and have shot many different bows. I do primarily hunt with training wheels but have harvested deer with recurves and a longbow. The longbow doe was one of my favorite hunts. All right, enough of the small talk. Here is my problem. I managed to get lucky and pickup an ugly looking Howatt Hunter NE Ultra Plus from ebay.
When i got it in the mail, i realized that i was holding one bueatiful piece of brazilian rosewood. I got all the old finish scraped and sanded off. That is when i ran into trouble. I can not get toungue oil to cure on the oily wood. I have read someone say coat it with a couple of coats if super glue. I do not understand this and keep getting this picture in my head of both of my hands glued to this bow. Only thing i have ever had any luck with it sticking to is me. WIfe would get a kick out of it. DO you have any suggestions for me ? The wood is so dark, i thought i might have a piece of cocobolo but it is much to light for that. Thanks in advance for any help.
grizzly
Spike Bull

Re: hello, I'm new to tradrag and need your help

Postby Greywolf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:50 am

I'll share how I do mine, and ya see if it'll fit for what your doing.
I sand with 320 to 600, with rosewood it needs to be completely sanded. Then heat the wood slowly with a 60 watt bulb in a large box, I want the wood to absorb heat slowly.... so the oil will move.
Then I bathe the rosewood with 95% denatured alcohol, ( I let the can set in the sun to warm the alcohol) Rub the wood with a dampened rag so you can see the oil being removed (white t shirt works well) I do this 2-3 times.
Once the oil stops printing on the T-shirt, I give the wood a good wash with the 95% denatured alcohol set aside to evaporate completely(20 minutes or so), then.... break open the super glue tube, I buy the 4 packs of small tubes, a small dot on the wood and start rubbing in small circles, and cover area as the glue will allow, keep moving along the riser till it's all covered. **Hint** the super glue will start to get "thick") put on another drop and over lap and keep going.

Yes, you will get a super glue pad on your finger tip, after a couple three four times it'll start to get hard and scratch, peel it off with a knife edge and keep on before the oil returns to the surface. the riser should take 10 -12 minutes to completely coat it. Don't get any on the fiberglass, but cover the edge of the glass to seal it on the edge to the wood.
Once I get it covered I let it dry over night, then sand with 400 grit paper. All I'm trying to do is "sealing" the grain pours in the grain, not make it smooth.
Now, start with the finish, hand rubbed Tru Oil, I apply 2 coats a day for 4-5 days sanding between each 2 coats with steel wool to rough it up **Hint** if the wool pulls and leaves steel residue then it's not dry enough.

That's how I do my risers, Hope there is something you can use with my method of finishing. The more layers you apply the "deeper" the finish will appear.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby grizzly » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 pm

thanks, i'll give it a try. I may find another relic to try it on first.You know, kind of a test run. Let you know what happens.
grizzly
Spike Bull

Postby jcporter@work » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:08 am

I use nitrile gloves when applying super glue. To me you can keep the glue moving a little longer. Don't know that I can state that as a fact, just works for me. I pretty much seal all my risers and knife handles with super glue. I even seal my wingbone turkey calls with it. Gives them a sort of patina.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Postby grizzly » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:42 pm

OK, i wussed out and tried something different. I used dewaxed shellac. I gave it a few coats of that and then began applying coats of tru oil. I think the original "tung oil" i was using may not have been. The tru oil seemed to do the trick. Now, there are a few things to note. I will try to load a picture cause i know everything said is worthless without a picture. How do you magicians apply a hand rubbed finish to a three dimensional object without developing runs or leaving evidence of how it was suspended ? levitation or anti-gravity finishes? I eventually setteled on suspending the backwards strung bow horizontally from a large pipe clamp angled out of the woodvise.
I worked on the handle section and the limbs fading away from it. When i was satisfied with the riser, i tried my best to smooth the transitiion spots on the limbs out so it would not be quite so obvious what i had done. I purposely did not sand the decal area smooth to avoid loosing anymore writing. All in all it looks OK for an amatuer job. After doing all this work, i finally strung it up and of course it has some limb twist. Not too bad and it did not affect it from shooting OK. I picked up a Lord Mercury that someone has messed up fairly well so i can glue that one up and see how that goes. Thanks for your help and wish me luck loading pictures.
Attachments
058.JPG
059.JPG
060.JPG
grizzly
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Lookin good, bout 6 more coats and you'll have it !
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Restoration and Repair